2000 Trans Am

Hypertech Powerprogrammer III....

Hey does anyone know anything about this programmer. I am thinking about purchasing one, and wanted to know what kind of gains you guys noticed, and if it was easy to use or not. It is a power programmer III. Below is my signature with mods so do you think it will help?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

Dont wate youre money on a Hypertech very limited for the $$. For about the Same $$ you can get a diablo and do much more with it.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Don't bother with ANY handheld tuner.

Couple quotes from other people concerning them...
    No, Never.....they are a waste of money. Find yourself a local tuner shop that has either LS1EDIT, HPTuners, EFI-Live for tuning software and get it done correctly....ON THE DYNO.
    Okay, let me give you the low-down on power programmers and chips.

Unless you are getting the super expensive versions, all they do is lean out the fuel mixture, adding horsepower. Thats all good and well on a stock car (even though it is doing damage slowly) but, all you have to add is a few power adders and you're screwed royally.

You'll find numerous horror stories about people using hypertech programmers then add headers and exhaust and an intake and blowing the motor from going lean.

Stay far far away my friend. Wait until you get some motor work done, then dyno-tune it. Until then, leave her be.

Black
    99 Trans Am(sold)

Not to steal the thread, but, How much are Dyno Tunes, generally?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

$450+

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mike's TA View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but, How much are Dyno Tunes, generally?
    all depends, on shop, shops rep, etc... quated for 560 but heard there cheaper then that

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I'm not a fan of hand held programmers, I personally own HP, but for the people who want to lightly tune their car I would recomend a diablo over a hypertech.

silver
    2002 ws6

if you want a hand held tuner, go for the diablo.

I'm not a big fan of the handhelds. I purchased HPtuner for the 02 SS and love it. Although this is a huge learning curve.

The handhelds do have their advantages as far as that goes,,,,very simplistic and great for people that have trouble with computers.

I also have a Hypertech tuner that I use on my 97,,,,for 2 reasons,,,,one,,,HPtuner does not support the LT1 so that option was out. #2 it was given to me so I thought I would experiment with it.

This car is completely stock, and I have raced it many times,,,,I can tell you the full tune offered in this handheld did absolutely nothing for ET or MPH,,,the car runs the same. But what I do like about it is the ability to have the fans turn on sooner to work with the 160 thermostat I have,,,and if you change the rear gear ratio you can adjust the speedometer to read correctly. Thats all I really use it for now since it was free. Otherwise it did nothing for mine.
    I personally wouldn't spend the money on a Hypertech.

Now the Diablo has many more options, with the ability to download and install dyno tunes at any supporting Diablo tuning facility,,,they are scattered around the US,,,have to check their website.
    It has the ability to custom tune the timing and fuel tables and a few other things,,,but in the end you are still limited. It looked like the best handheld tuner out there when I was shopping,,,but in the end I just decided to go with HPtuner and have full control over the car, both tuning and diagnostics,,,,and it's the best mod I ever made. I believe it's really the first thing anyone should buy for an LS1 4th gen.

My father has an 01 3/4 ton truck with the 6.0 and he of course is getting old and didn't want to fool with laptop tuning, so he went with Diablo just to play with the truck a little. He is very pleased,,,he has the trans snapping pretty good now, along with a performance tune and he claims he noticed some improvement in how it runs.
    But if you are looking for the unltimate,,,,go with a good software tuning setup and a laptop.

Mrr23 is the one who got me involved with HPtuner,,,and he had a post started here for HPtuner to help the beginners,,,,it had many screen shots of different things, it would give you a good idea of what it looks like if your interested.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

i will disagree with handhelds. the right one will work. and for those with no dyno shops near them, or don't want to learn how to tune, it's a good option.

i used to use the vinci handheld tuner, before i got HPTuners. used it to tune the wife's car when it had heads and cam.

the only other one i would consider is the predator (diablo)

here's a webpage i made about the vinci tuner

http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

White
    2002 WS6

Hand helds suck especially hypertech, get hptuners and learn how to tune or go to a professional for a tune
    2002 white WS6, M6 N/A full weight 11.30@124
    2007 TBSS AWD 14.20@98 bone stock

Thread Information