Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HPtuner tuning with LTFT and STFT???

This is a discussion on HPtuner tuning with LTFT and STFT??? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 0rion what screen shots are you looking for in particular? I've heard of people logging their wb's ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    what screen shots are you looking for in particular? I've heard of people logging their wb's through the a/c since it's 0-5v also. I'm not sure how that works out for people but it's something to reasearch and see if you can use. It's really nice to log them side by side. I used to log them seperately back when I had edit, PIA for sure. Let me know what screen shots you want and I'll post them up.
    I would definitely figure out a way to log that wideband with hptuners. It makes afr tuning way easier. No more trims to worry about. The only thing I noticed was variations due to weather conditions which made the afr fluctuate a lot more than I thought it would. I would even look and see about upgrading to the pro version of hptuners at some point.......well worth it.
    Ya I'll have to check into upgrading to the pro version,,,if thats even possible.
    I'm not sure Frost caught that little detail in one of my posts,,,I believe he is trying to get my wideband setup to work in conjunction with HPtuner,,,,

Although I am not sure I can do that,,,I would still like to know how to setup the histograms to log MAF in AFR % error,,,,I believe that is what he said.
    Screen shots like he posted here earlier helps me a ton. I can look at everything and simply set it up so long as I can find the options.

As of right now I am logging my MAF using LTFT as a plot. I am thinking if I cannot use my wideband then plotting STFT's would be better than LTFT's,,,,would that be correct??? If you have screen shots of histograms for the MAF describing the purpose or how they operate,,,,that would be a huge help,,,,,Thanks, Larry.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Dude, seriously, check out HPT's forum. I didn't miss the bit about you not having the PRO setup, you haven't done all of your homework. You can run the WB back into the PCM for side-by-side logging through the EGR input, the AC level input, etc. This is inarguably the best way to do things, and will make you happier overall in life

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I knew people were running that through the a/c and what not to get the wb to read out in the scanner but I wasn't sure how it shows up in the scanner itself.
    I remember years ago people trying to do that and having to use a correction factor for it but that's been a long time ago and I'm sure things have changed since then.

Larry, PM me your email address and I'll send you one of my logs done with the wideband and you can look at the histograms I have set up for ve tuning and maf tuning.

I knew people were running that through the a/c and what not to get the wb to read out in the scanner but I wasn't sure how it shows up in the scanner itself.
    I remember years ago people trying to do that and having to use a correction factor for it but that's been a long time ago and I'm sure things have changed since then.

Larry, PM me your email address and I'll send you one of my logs done with the wideband and you can look at the histograms I have set up for ve tuning and maf tuning.
    Okay PM is coming shortly Orion, sorry for the delay I had to step away for a while to take care of some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Dude, seriously, check out HPT's forum. I didn't miss the bit about you not having the PRO setup, you haven't done all of your homework. You can run the WB back into the PCM for side-by-side logging through the EGR input, the AC level input, etc. This is inarguably the best way to do things, and will make you happier overall in life
    Thanks Frost,,,I was briefly on HPT's sight after our earlier discussion,,,started searching and had to leave for a while. I will check some more now.

I never really checked into other ways to install the wideband, and tapping through another source sounds pretty involved. I will have to search around and see if I can find some info on HPT's sight for it. I wouldn't think they would advertise that though and would rather sell you the Pro version.
    Using EGR or A/C switches????? How in the world would you setup a histogram for that I'm sorry guys,,,I am a mechanically inclined person, rebuilding anything that moves, but when it comes to computers,,,um well,,,,, Know what I mean??????

I thought for sure I would have to use this wideband as a completely seperate device.

The EGR as well as the A/C pressure sensor input are both 5 volt referenced. The same as a WB.
    That being said, you dont need it to histogram the STFT versus VE or STFT versus MAF. You can get most if not all the driveability tuning, from say 4000 rpm down this way.
    You will need the WB for WOT tuning.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It's not hard at all, what year is your car?

It's as simple as running an output wire from your LC1 to an existing wire under the hood There are multiple threads about it on HPtuners website.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nice write up.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    It's not hard at all, what year is your car?

It's as simple as running an output wire from your LC1 to an existing wire under the hood There are multiple threads about it on HPtuners website.
    Car is an 02 camaro. Thanks for that link. I have been reading that stuff since last night. What I need to do now is look around on the car and see if I can make sense of it. I would like to do this in a way that the wiring harness isn't chopped on. Probably make another factory style connector to plug into or something.

Well shucks,,,,that writeup ends without the guy showing how he setup the Histograms,,,I think they forgot

Anyway after reading,,,I think I would rather try the EGR connection,,,since my car doesn't have it,,,,I guess I could just connect it to a pin on the ECM???? I just have to stop at the local GM dealer and see if I can grab some of those connectors.

My other problem would be to figure out what wires people are using from their widebands to run to the ECM,,,,since my wideband doesn't have any individual wires like this,,,it's all cables, wiring is enclosed,,,,I really don't want to start hacking up the wideband wiring.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

which wideband are you using? It doesn't have a 5v output?

which wideband are you using? It doesn't have a 5v output?
    I have an LM-1 wideband from Innovative Motorsports.

It probably has a 5 volt output,,,not sure,,,,everything is plug and play with cables. Gets it's power from a cigarette lighter (12V) for the 02 sensor and the electronics part of the wideband uses a 9 volt battery.

It then has other cables to plug information right into a desk top or lap top computer. Hope I explained that well enough.
    See I've always used it to tune carburator cars,,,never a need to connect it to a cars computer,,,so I'm not sure of anything else it does otherwise. It is just simply install the 02 sensor, plug the power for it into the cigarette lighter, and I was ready to start tuning.

Got your email,,,I just have to figure out how to open those files,,,windows won't do it. Thanks Orion,,,,Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-30-2008 at 11:10 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you have to open those with hptuners.

I run the same wideband, it has a 5v output. Should've had a small cable with it that has bare wires on the end of it. It plugs into the analog out on the lm-1 and it has a red, white, and ground. I use the white as my signal wire and ground as well....ground.

you have to open those with hptuners.

I run the same wideband, it has a 5v output. Should've had a small cable with it that has bare wires on the end of it. It plugs into the analog out on the lm-1 and it has a red, white, and ground. I use the white as my signal wire and ground as well....ground.
    Yes you are correct, it does have those wires,,,I have never taken them out of the package,,,,never had the need....

If you use the white wire for signal,,,and the ground for a ground,,,what did you do with the red wire????

98 Formula
    06 duramax

nothing, there are 2 outputs and 1 ground so unless you need the second output just tape it up or something.

Okay then,,,I guess this will work. I just have to get ECM wire connectors and find the correct pin for the EGR on the ECM.

Sure wish I could pay someone just to sit down here with the laptop and show me how to configure all this stuff.

It's going to be a battle for me.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

na, like frost said. do some reading at hptuners and ask a bunch of questions and you'll have it before you know it. The scanner really is the key to everything, once you understand that it makes the rest a lot easier. Why not put a quick connect right in the egr wire like the write up said? That would be pretty simple to do and make it much easier to hook and unhook the wideband. I'm gonna look over that write up again and see what part you were having trouble with and I'll email you an explanation on how to set up the scanner.

Well if I understand this correctly,,,,on my 02 camaro which has no EGR,,,,the pinouts are still there in the ECM.

From what I have read,,,pinout 41 is for EGR ground and pinout 55 is for EGR power.

If I enable the EGR in the tune,,,these pinouts should come alive,,,and attatching wires to them for the wideband should work. At the end of the wires I could have a quick disconnect as you mentioned or a weather pack connector I could hide under hood somewhere,,,,and simply plug in the wideband when needed.

Does that sound feesable??? Or would the A/C pressure switch be the way to go,,,,again making some sort of plug in connector for the end of the A/C pressure switch wiring so I don't have to cut anything?????

If either of these are correct,,,then it's just a matter of setting up the PID's and histograms,,,,the scary part for me,,,lol.

I try to refrain from asking too many questions over at HPtuners sight,,,they tend to frown on a rooky tuner like me,,,,(or so it seems anyway)

But I do like to read over there even if I don't understand half of it,,,lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information