HP tuners setup questions

I'm putting some gears and longtubes on my 00 TA in the next week and am going to have to get into tuning. I've searched and read and learned a ton already, and I think I'm ready to commit to HP tuners as further mods are coming down the road.

I've never tuned before, but am pretty car savoy (more so than computer savoy). I have an old laptop I can use so that's no problem. I've been to HP tuners website but's it's kind of confusing to me. So, here's the questions.

What packages should I get for an entry level tuner that will allow me to do everything I need to do to 1 car. I don't plan on tuning other cars....at least not right now. I would like some datalogging abilities though. Can I get everything I need to make this work for $500?

I know this has been beat to death.....but I searched so don't flame me too hard.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

VCM Suite GM - $499 will do what you want. You will get extra credits. But you only need one to add one vehicle.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i would suggest if you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. get the mpvi pro (allows for eio) and get yourself a wideband.

I agree with doing it right the first time. So, this may sound crazy but what is an "eio"? I think a wideband is going to be crucial to tuning the car but maybe not until down the road. Is this something I can add later and/or integrate into the HP tuners?
    I really only need it for the gears right now and maybe a little tweak on some longtubes. Just don't want to buy a handheld and quickly outgrow it.

Man, this is exactly why I asked this question. Don't want to buy a $500 package that isn't what I want.

Black

You can just start with the base package. But if you add EIO now, it will be cheaper. EIO will let you use a wideband etc....

So $500 would give you what you want.

I went to HP tuners sight last night and just cruised the forums. Read all the FAQ's (took me 3 hours LOL) and man there is alot of stuff this can do. I could see it taking me a LONG time to REALLY tune a car for part throttle around town driving. Alot of the guys were tuning according to LTFT's which seems to work okay but will take much longer than with a Wideband. Any input on this?

Well, gotta have it so I guess I'll order mine today. Time to blow the dust off of the old laptop sitting in my closet.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

thats why i said get the wideband. i tuned via ltfts and mine are off. i just got my new mpvi cable and hooked up my wideband. actually, today im going to adjust for the voltage offset. The extended input/output (eio) is what you need for the the wideband. for lts, you will need to tune pt throttle and wot, so again, just do it right. Ed and I both got our widebands from dyno tune. They had a sell going on so we jumped on it If you get the mpvi std, then you'll need to upgrade to the mpvi pro later...better to just get it out the way now IMO.

White
    2001 Camaro SS

GET THE PRO VERSION. It costs too much to upgrade it later and believe me you will want it. The blackbox data logging is awesome as is the RTT. (real time tuning)

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

let me tell you, i just got mine setup correctly and man...ITS AWSOME!! its not that hard either..im gonna make a wiring how to in a bit...if i feel like it

Z

It depends on how in-depth your going to tune. Personlly it has taken a while to tune with the pro,

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

how in depth? tuning is tuning... you give it however much it needs.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

I have LS1 edit, it was expensive as hell!!! Since I am new to tuning PCM's I have since been tuning on the LTFT's only. (with help from the pro I bought it from)

I am looking for a good wideband. Anybody have suggestions? Since I have one of the better tune progs I am looking for one of the best widebands that can also be used on multiple vehicles.

I was told from the tuner pro I bought the LS1 hardware and software from, that you only want to have the wideband on while tuning and testing, and replace the oems for all other driving needs.

Black

The LC-1 is what most use

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

if you're going to tune more than one vehicle, id consider the lm-1.

NBM
    2002 NBM WS6

Thanks guys, the LS1 Edit I have is for all LS1's and LS6's till 2003 so I might as well give myself a chance to help others and make a few buck along the way

Thread Information