Hp tuner

This is a discussion on Hp tuner within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Got an email from a guy trying to sell me an HP Tuner serial cable and the DVD to set ...

Pewter
    '00 SS

Hp tuner

Got an email from a guy trying to sell me an HP Tuner serial cable and the DVD to set up the program on my laptop. Worth it? Please explain.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how much is he wanting? Is it the pro version? and does it have credits on it? That will determine if it's worth it. As far as a tuning suite it's the one to have for these cars but like I say....there are other factors to consider when buying used.

Pewter
    '00 SS

100. no clue and no clue. i just looked and i dont think i have the port for it to hook up to my laptop.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm trying to remember here because it's been years......seems like they may have had some serial stuff way back when but anything halfway recent should be usb. $100 then it won't have credits and probably isn't pro. You would have to add your vin to it so you'd have to buy credits....that's cost you another $100. You might also want to get the serial number from it and check with hptuner about transferring it to your name and make sure it isn't a stolen cable or something like that. IMO....if it's a legit working cable $200 would be a pretty good deal. I would want to find out about that serial or usb connection and if it's the pro version. The pro version is really worth the extra money it costs. It lets you log your wideband which is a huge bonus and it lets you black box log which means the laptop doesn't have to be in the car to data log. Even if it's not the pro version you could upgrade it and probably still come out way ahead. First thing I would do is probably make sure it's not hot and can be transferred and that it works.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Definetely not stolen. I just got another email. Its actually from my mechanic. He has had it since '01 and its only for '00 fbodies. He says he uses the pro now and has no need for it and you dont need credits for it.

Hows that sound?
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Pewter
    '00 SS

Only thing is i dont hqve a serial port on my laptop and thats what it needs. Guess im shit outta luck unless they make some sort of adapter to a computer. But by that time it will be worth it to just get a new one. I actually dont even know how to use it but i figured i trust myself more than anyone and im sure you guys give great advice as to how to use it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    Definetely not stolen. I just got another email. Its actually from my mechanic. He has had it since '01 and its only for '00 fbodies. He says he uses the pro now and has no need for it and you dont need credits for it.

Hows that sound?
    that doesn't sound like hptuner to me....sounds more like a handheld such as hypertech. Hptuners you buy credits and can add any of the f-body's too the cable along with pretty much any gen3 or gen4 based vehicle.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

He didn't have it in 01 becaue it didn't exist. You don't want a serial version anyway, to run all of their newer software you have to have the USB version. The reason he still has it is that he's stuck with it now that the trade-in window has passed. You can get by with it, but the newer software has parameters for your car that 2.22 (last serial supported version) doesn't have. Also, no further licenses or credits can ever be added to that style cable.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Thanks a lot for the information guys. Looks like i wont be getting it afterall. Lol!! The only reason he even offered it to me is because he put my thermostat in and never changed fan settings and all that. So i have a 160 therm and car runs around 200 all the time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    He didn't have it in 01 becaue it didn't exist. You don't want a serial version anyway, to run all of their newer software you have to have the USB version. The reason he still has it is that he's stuck with it now that the trade-in window has passed. You can get by with it, but the newer software has parameters for your car that 2.22 (last serial supported version) doesn't have. Also, no further licenses or credits can ever be added to that style cable.
    man...that's been so long ago that I didn't remember any of that until you said it. How do you remember that stuff? Now that you mention it I do remember the trade in they were doing. That has to be one of the first cables they put out I would think. I know originally they didn't have support for 98's so I was stuck with edit for a while. When I did get hpt they had already switched to usb.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I guess he really is the man when it comes to stuff like that. LOL!! I really appreciate the help though. Saves me 100$ from not knowing what I was truely buying. Read my post a couple blocks up and tell me what yall think

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I mean, if the cable already has all year F-bodies unlocked then it's not a BAD deal, there is just no support moving forward. When it was new, there was over 1K in cost there.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I just don't have the right connector for my computer and I was told that if I get the usb/serial adaptor that I take the chance of losing the info.

Pewter
    '00 SS

All i want out pf this for now is that the 160 thermostat work right. I dont need all that extra stuff done right now.

Pewter
    '00 SS

As far as the thermostat, I should see a difference in the temperature if it was tuned right for the 160degree thermostat correct?

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

I don't think a 160 tstat will make you run any cooler, it just opens up at 160 instead of 180.

Pewter
    '00 SS

But if you set the fan settings at 175 then that should help right? Thats what confusing me. If i set the fans lower it will help, so im told. If i dont and just have a lower temp thermo then its just allowing it to flow at a lower temp correct? If thats true, and the fan settings help more, why would people need and thermo?

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

Setting the fans to come on early does help to keep it cooler.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I went in and got it all taken care of. Thanks guys for all the help.

Thread Information