Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

How to tune?

This is a discussion on How to tune? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Mark at KYSpeed had given me Bobby's cell phone #. He took care of me in under 5 minutes. Sweet, ...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Mark at KYSpeed had given me Bobby's cell phone #. He took care of me in under 5 minutes. Sweet, thanks guys.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

glad to hear it....now hook it up and discover just how lost you are. Start with the scanner and go hook it up and create a couple of logs and make your own cfg. files and log some different stuff just to get used to using it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    glad to hear it....now hook it up and discover just how lost you are. Start with the scanner and go hook it up and create a couple of logs and make your own cfg. files and log some different stuff just to get used to using it.
    Holy shit.

All im doing right now is reading, and reading. I didnt get my laptop today so I am on hold. Hopefully tomorrow! I want to hook it up, get some logs, and try to read those. THEN, I am getting on my cam install. Im not waiting on my cousin to get me on his buddies lift(for other things)... Im just gonna get the cam in and then start logging and trying to get that right.

Think I will have a hard time get a "mild" 230/236 114 LSA dialed in enough to drive a little?

Also, I have a few buddies that need gear ratio changes, tire size changes, O2 sensor deletes along with other really minor things. Will I be able to just hook this up and change those things without the use of credits? Also, Can I just use this a s a scanner on other vehicles? I have quite a few people I could make some money off of possibly doing little things. One of my buddies has a 4.2 (?) Sonoma (?) truck. Can I hook this up to it???

Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

if you flash a car it takes credits. Just have them pay for your credits plus a little...you can cash those vin credits in for partial credit towards a model year. You have 8 credits to start with and your car will take 2. If they're f-bodies also that means you can make at least $300 of your money back by getting the $100 off of them for the credits plus any extra you get.
    Hpt does support 98 and up 4.3's..... I know this because I have a 97 which just missed. You have a lot of reading in front of you. There is a blanket idle tune you can try that will at least get your car to run. It's the nogo tune and it's posted at hptuners site. It's very broad though and will need a lot of tweaking but it should at least make the car run. After that look up the idle cfg. file over there ( I forget if it's included) and use that and you'll have it idling fairly decent in 1 afternoon most likely. For me personally it was the cruise that took the longest I think. Mine could still use a little work but nothing major. I just have a slight surge that's been following me around forever. Probably a timing issue with mine as my timing table looks like crap really.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Cool, Sounds like I will be able to work on those 4.3's. I have wuite a few of them around me that need basic stuff like I mentioned. Will that basic stuff require credits? Thanks for he info, I have alot of reading, and even more just a broad understanding of the system. Cant wait.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Cool, Sounds like I will be able to work on those 4.3's. I have wuite a few of them around me that need basic stuff like I mentioned. Will that basic stuff require credits? Thanks for he info, I have alot of reading, and even more just a broad understanding of the system. Cant wait.
    yup, hate to say it but any editer mods, nomatter how small still cost credits

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Jesus, My laptop wont be in until MARCH 11 2009!!! Screw that, I spend an extra 50 bucks and go buy one directly...

I need to know, will this software run with the latest 64 bit Vista computer? The nerd at best buy is making a big deal about that, and making sure the "new" lap top will run the program.

ANy help? I want this laptop tonight.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=vista

I just skimmed that thread but it looks like it will with possibly a driver download??? Read through that thread....looks like the answer is in there.

I'm not a computer person by any stretch, but my wife does it for a living. I can tell you that the new Vista stuff is a pain in her rear. Alot of the older programs don't work with it or you have to jump through hurdles to make it work.
    Not sure on HPtuner but just a heads up though.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, vista sucks. I got it with my new machine.....not a fan of it. If you have the option of getting xp then do it.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    yeah, vista sucks. I got it with my new machine.....not a fan of it. If you have the option of getting xp then do it.
    Thats why i have a mac with windows XP on it. so much easier!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Got my laptop, installed all my goodies... Now I want to be around my damn car. Its not at my house! I want to just get a good read, what was yalls first step, besides reading and more reading?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Got my laptop, installed all my goodies... Now I want to be around my damn car. Its not at my house! I want to just get a good read, what was yalls first step, besides reading and more reading?
    first do a read entire on your car and save it.
    do you have the new cam in yet? if your stock cam is in still unplug your MAF and do some data logging, then play with your VE tables and get them dialed into near zero fuel trims are needed (good practice before your VE is thrown way off by new cam)
    read the "how to tune" stickies on hptuners site
    after cam install you will probably need to add 1-2 acrossed the board of your Base idle airflow, plus give the throttle cracker set screw on your TB about a half to three quarters of a turn to get the car idleing decent

hugger orange

by the way if it makes you feel any better I'm still beating my head against the wall trying to learn all of this too

Stock
    2002 Camaro

is there someplace you can adjust the throttle cable in HP tuners? Mine is holding the TB open like 8%. if i put the tb shut it stays untill i use the edal again. any ideas?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    is there someplace you can adjust the throttle cable in HP tuners? Mine is holding the TB open like 8%. if i put the tb shut it stays untill i use the edal again. any ideas?
    it should stay open alittle
    idle> idle airflow> base running airflow (idle airflow) try that or it
    may be your throttle stop screw too. its a very small allen head screw on the underside of the throttle stop (its a 3/32' allen head) DO NOT try to adjust it while the motor is running....just trust me, the belt hurts when it catches your finger.
    try turning it out only a 1/4 turn at a time.....

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    it should stay open alittle
    idle> idle airflow> base running airflow (idle airflow) try that or it
    may be your throttle stop screw too. its a very small allen head screw on the underside of the throttle stop (its a 3/32' allen head) DO NOT try to adjust it while the motor is running....just trust me, the belt hurts when it catches your finger.
    try turning it out only a 1/4 turn at a time.....
    thanks! i'll give it a try tonight

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Crash View Post
    thanks! i'll give it a try tonight
    i have a small cam and had to turn my screw in about 1/2 a turn, and added 2 acrossed the airflow board

Stock
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    i have a small cam and had to turn my screw in about 1/2 a turn, and added 2 acrossed the airflow board
    mine was already tuned after the cam (230/230) but after i installed the Fast 92/92 it started that. so i drilled my throttle cable bracket so i could drive it, i already ordered a new bracket and was just wait on HP tuners to show up now i can try it.

Stock
    2002 Camaro

i also still have that high idle when driving. it goes away once i hit 0mph's dam throttle cracker!

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information