Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718
Like Tree1Likes

How to tune?

This is a discussion on How to tune? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Hi-Po Seriously. WTF. Version 9.12thousand 19 HPT should have it where you can automatically reset fuel trims. ...

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Seriously. WTF. Version 9.12thousand 19 HPT should have it where you can automatically reset fuel trims.

Would not resetting the fuel trims make it act like this? Make the AFR error look great(I do want it at or near my AFR Stoich right?) and make the TABLE AFR way off (lean) ?
    yup it could throw you way off like that if you don't reset the trims. I have mine running right at 14.6-15.2 crusing and 12.9-13.1 at WOT. 16:1 is a hair lean at part throttle, but its not that far off......get anal like me, take the girlfriend for a nice long hour or two drive and log the trip, then use that long log for tunning.
    go to your histograms > highlight the whole box > right click > load all data......then use that to sdjust things.....you might not be logging long enough trips.
    OhTwo likes this.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I just looked at your file and you don't have the LTFT's disabled at all. Might want to disable those and then clear them in the scanner when you log next time. Also, make sure you're doing %-half when it starts getting close so you don't overshoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    yup it could throw you way off like that if you don't reset the trims. I have mine running right at 14.6-15.2 crusing and 12.9-13.1 at WOT
    Well, I guess On some I still didnt have LTFT's turn off. With those turned off, I have 22 bits used. Can I fill the table to 24 with something else?

Thanks for re enforcing the 'reset fuel trims" again to me. I was totally blowing it off.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Well, I guess On some I still didnt have LTFT's turn off. With those turned off, I have 22 bits used. Can I fill the table to 24 with something else?

Thanks for re enforcing the 'reset fuel trims" again to me. I was totally blowing it off.
    Start back with before all of your changes rather than trying to cleanup the mess.

He also meant your LTFTs are enabled in your tune, removing them from the table in your scanner only means that you can't see them anymore, not that they are inactive.

hugger orange

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but this is the way I did it.
    LTFTs turned on and in closed lope, I had the histogram for the WB opened and just kept an eye on it........after gentle driving for after about an hour (back roads and highway holding 1st, 2nd,3rd gear so I could cover the cells all the way to 6,500 rpms) my WB histogram was mostly 14.6:1-15.1:1.

then I went to the LTFT histogram > copy/paste multiply % by half into my VE........reset fuel trims and logged my trip home.
    when I got home I did the same thing and was pretty much dead on

hugger orange

remember to disable your DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off) and the key is (this is the hard part) gentle driving and slowly running the rpms up to rev limit without getting into your PE

hugger orange

hey Frost, did I cover it ok.
    are there any parts you disagree with?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, but this is the way I did it.
    LTFTs turned on and in closed lope, I had the histogram for the WB opened and just kept an eye on it........after gentle driving for after about an hour (back roads and highway holding 1st, 2nd,3rd gear so I could cover the cells all the way to 6,500 rpms) my WB histogram was mostly 14.6:1-15.1:1.

then I went to the LTFT histogram > copy/paste multiply % by half into my VE........reset fuel trims and logged my trip home.
    when I got home I did the same thing and was pretty much dead on
    Your doing it the same way Mrr23 did his if I remember correctly. It seems to me just using AFR will be much quicker.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Start back with before all of your changes rather than trying to cleanup the mess.

He also meant your LTFTs are enabled in your tune, removing them from the table in your scanner only means that you can't see them anymore, not that they are inactive.
    Alright.... If I delte them from my Table/scanner.... why is it not disabled? It shows it taking away bits used?

hugger orange

Your doing it the same way Mrr23 did his if I remember correctly. It seems to me just using AFR will be much quicker.
    lol that's why I said it might not be the right way, but its my way.
    I'm sure there are several ways to get there, this way just seemrd the easiest for me

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

lol that's why I said it might not be the right way, but its my way.
    I'm sure there are several ways to get there, this way just seemrd the easiest for me
    There are many ways of getting the prize from my understanding. My first problem was, I tried using 2 or 3 different ways. I think I found my way of doing it. I like the way im doing it, but from my understanding.... your way is correct as well. Just takes clonger.

hugger orange

Alright.... If I delte them from my Table/scanner.... why is it not disabled? It shows it taking away bits used?
    if you are trying to actually disable your LTFTs you need to go into editor, disable them (you can set LTFTs enable temp to 280 that way they never come on)
    then write the calibration

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Just because you choose to not look at a variable in the PCM doesn't mean it's not there; you just aren't logging it. You have to disable it in the calibration.

If you have a wideband that works it doesn't make much sense to be tuning with trims except to fine tune after the fact. If you ARE tuning with trims you need to disable LTFTs in the calibration and clear them with the scanner before you even start your car.

It doesn't matter if the car goes into PE if you are wideband tuning (or fuel trim tuning either, since they will stop updating in PE), you are logging commanded AFR vs actual to compute error, just know that the transitional points will have some false lean error from wideband lag. If you are tuning for AFR error and you have trims active... well that's messed up It's not tuning at all, I'd hate to think of what that would do. You MUST be in open loop and up to full temperature to tune via AFR error.
    Last edited by Frost; 04-29-2009 at 10:23 PM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

in the hptuners help menu there's a very detailed write up on how to set the car up, datalog, and make changes. It's under the user submitted tab. It'll give you a step by step on setting the car up OLSD and how to make the changes you need.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1415161718

Thread Information