Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much did you pay for your tune???

This is a discussion on How much did you pay for your tune??? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; $150...

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

$150

rapter34
    also talk to the shop if you plan on getting more than one tune than they usually give pretty good discounts for fallow up tunes.

Work..Eat..Sleep..Repeat nut6778's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Tuning shop you can buy a computer through, or send them yours. They're good. I haven't used them, but I know people who have. $160 to have them ship you a computer, and free updates for life.

Change your cam...just send the computer back to them and they'll update it. FREE (+ shipping).

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

Check 'em out!
    Nut

2002 Z28

Track History
    5-10-08 13.522 @ 106.59 72 degrees ~ Stock? No Mods? (this is how I bought it)
    6-14-08 13.577 @ 106.71 93 degrees ~ SLP Lid, Smooth Bellow, and Magnaflow Catback Exhaust
    Next Race: I'm done for this season...be back next year!

Black
    2005 GTO

Paid $475, $375 for tune and $100 for dyno.

My Neighbors Hate Me!!! lvbroham1's Avatar

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nut6778 View Post
    Tuning shop you can buy a computer through, or send them yours. They're good. I haven't used them, but I know people who have. $160 to have them ship you a computer, and free updates for life.

Change your cam...just send the computer back to them and they'll update it. FREE (+ shipping).

http://www.wait4meperformance.com/

Check 'em out!
    I've heard of them before, just not to into the whole 'if i'm gonna change something I need to send it back and wait', right now i'm leaning to getting a hptuner so i can just plug and play. I thought mail order tunes were just so you would be able to drive your car to get an actual tune?...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    I've heard of them before, just not to into the whole 'if i'm gonna change something I need to send it back and wait', right now i'm leaning to getting a hptuner so i can just plug and play. I thought mail order tunes were just so you would be able to drive your car to get an actual tune?...

Mail order tunes work great for bolt-ons cars (if the MAF hasn't been screwed around with) but if you have internal mods like H/C, all they should be used for is driving the car to the tuner. There are some tuners that claim otherwise, but I have seen almost all of their "tunes" on the dyno. Once you see that AFR at WOT it becoms plain that it may have been a good "driving" tune, but you'd have to be psychic to nail down WOT in a mail order tune. I don't care how many hundreds of cars they have done, this is a fact.

Rel3rd, thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad your F-bod and your buddy's Z are more 'pleasurable' to drive. Bad tunes make the car miserable to drive and embarrassing at the same time.

Work..Eat..Sleep..Repeat nut6778's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

So say a car is pretty much stock, just a cat back and a lid, would you just recommend a handheld programmer or a tune?

I've been looking into the Hypertech Hyperpac #83006... Any thoughts?

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Mail order tunes work great for bolt-ons cars (if the MAF hasn't been screwed around with) but if you have internal mods like H/C, all they should be used for is driving the car to the tuner. There are some tuners that claim otherwise, but I have seen almost all of their "tunes" on the dyno. Once you see that AFR at WOT it becoms plain that it may have been a good "driving" tune, but you'd have to be psychic to nail down WOT in a mail order tune. I don't care how many hundreds of cars they have done, this is a fact.

Rel3rd, thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad your F-bod and your buddy's Z are more 'pleasurable' to drive. Bad tunes make the car miserable to drive and embarrassing at the same time.
    Sorry guys, I haven't told you any of my mods. Here's a list of current mods.

RAM 500hp clutch
    PP heads
    PP Throttle Body
    MS4
    Short Stick Shifter
    No AIR EGR
    SLP Lid
    Pacesetter Headers
    SLP LoudMouth
    LS6 Intake

So... I'm guessing there's no way i'm going to do the mail order tune. Frost would you suggest for me to find a shop, or experiment on my own?...

White
    2002 VY SS

Most tunes here start at $400 for a mail order jobbie, to $1000 for a dyno tune. Dyno tuning for boosted cars can be more again. Our dollars are almost on par as well so currency differences aren't the issue...

black
    1999 T/A

I know it's a lil of topic but I still can't get over how cool it is that people in another country are enthusiastic about American muscle cars. especially in these times where everybody is worried about gas mileage and that damn CAFE.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    Most tunes here start at $400 for a mail order jobbie, to $1000 for a dyno tune. Dyno tuning for boosted cars can be more again. Our dollars are almost on par as well so currency differences aren't the issue...
    DEEEZAAMMM!!! That's a lot of $$$ for a tune IMO! You could make a killing if you had a tuner with unlimited credits. Of course you'd have to street tune and if they wanted a dyno pull they'd still have to shell out the money for that...

White
    2002 VY SS

Quote Originally Posted by itsfess View Post
    I know it's a lil of topic but I still can't get over how cool it is that people in another country are enthusiastic about American muscle cars. especially in these times where everybody is worried about gas mileage and that damn CAFE.
    Always been a fan of American muscle, especially old school stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbroham1 View Post
    DEEEZAAMMM!!! That's a lot of $$$ for a tune IMO! You could make a killing if you had a tuner with unlimited credits. Of course you'd have to street tune and if they wanted a dyno pull they'd still have to shell out the money for that...

I do have a mate that street tunes and has tuned my car in the past. He is a top guy that'll charge you $400 initially and then nothing for future tweeking. Has to pay for his stuff I suppose, and he has been ripped off before and doesn't want to see it happen to others.

Artic White
    2001 Chevy Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    I do have a mate that street tunes and has tuned my car in the past. He is a top guy that'll charge you $400 initially and then nothing for future tweeking. Has to pay for his stuff I suppose, and he has been ripped off before and doesn't want to see it happen to others.
    That sounds like a good deal to me!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by nut6778 View Post
    So say a car is pretty much stock, just a cat back and a lid, would you just recommend a handheld programmer or a tune?

I've been looking into the Hypertech Hyperpac #83006... Any thoughts?

I don't ever recommend handhelds. They are like using an axe or chainsaw for capillary level surgery. I would recommend using the tuner money you have there now for headers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information