How effective is a tune for fuel efficiency??

This is a discussion on How effective is a tune for fuel efficiency?? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I'm wondering how effective a tune would be if it was specifically for fuel mileage?? My car is basically stock ...

SOM
    2002 SS

How effective is a tune for fuel efficiency??

I'm wondering how effective a tune would be if it was specifically for fuel mileage?? My car is basically stock but besides ideas to seriously destroy it to save gas how light could an ls1 sip fuel if tuned with that goal in mind?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just thinking out loud, a tune will alter your spark timing tables to better achieve mean best torque (MBT). This is the amount of spark advance necessary to achieve the most power out of each individual combustion event. It is done by performing a spark hook test where the timing is advanced until the torque falls off. This gets you the most power, and also the most efficiency, out of the engine. No matter what you do, the cylinders in our engines have a certain filling volume. For every part fuel there should be approximately 14.68 parts of air. This is the stoichiometric proportion at which, in theory, all atoms of fuel are combusted. The addition of 10% ethanol in our current gas blends lowers the stoich point to something like 14.4:1. Feedback from the O2 sensors ensures that the engine's air:fuel ratio stays in the sweet spot. At WOT, the ratio is generally 12.5:1, or less, depending upon a variety of other factors. What does all this mean -- your best fuel efficiency will be achieved by sensible driving habits, steady state throttle conditions, and smooth throttle transitions. Obviously, not the easiest way to drive our cars with their built in fun factor. However, a proper tune can increase your engine's efficiency and result in better fuel economy.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 05-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

^ I can't say it any better than that!

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I totaly agree with pajeff02. I'm going to do a full tune on my 04 Sierra in a few weeks for fuel economy. Only mods are efans and CAI. I average 17-18mpg. After tune I want 20mpg. I think it is a goal that I can get. I will let you know how I do. Also I think if you have alot of miles on your car a standard tune up will help MPG. Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, PCV, O2s.
    Last edited by Sweet Chops; 05-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just thinking out loud, a tune will alter your spark timing tables to better achieve mean best torque (MBT). This is the amount of spark advance necessary to achieve the most power out of each individual combustion event. It is done by performing a spark hook test where the timing is advanced until the torque falls off. This gets you the most power, and also the most efficiency, out of the engine. No matter what you do, the cylinders in our engines have a certain filling volume. For every part fuel there should be approximately 14.68 parts of air. This is the stoichiometric proportion at which, in theory, all atoms of fuel are combusted. The addition of 10% ethanol in our current gas blends lowers the stoich point to something like 14.4:1. Feedback from the O2 sensors ensures that the engine's air:fuel ratio stays in the sweet spot. At WOT, the ratio is generally 12.5:1, or less, depending upon a variety of other factors. What does all this mean -- your best fuel efficiency will be achieved by sensible driving habits, steady state throttle conditions, and smooth throttle transitions. Obviously, not the easiest way to drive our cars with their built in fun factor. However, a proper tune can increase your engine's efficiency and result in better fuel economy.
    wow iv never seen it written that way before you should be a sales person for computer tunes! lol! tunes are awesome great power and better fuel economy if you can keep your foot out of it!

Everything Jeff mentioned is a great start, and how you drive plays a big factor.

There are a few tricks in the tune you can do to help mileage. There is a great writeup on HPtuners website about it. I've followed this procedure myself and found about another 2 mpg around town driving on a new SD tune I've been experimenting with,,,with no other changes to the car.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Everything Jeff mentioned is a great start, and how you drive plays a big factor.

There are a few tricks in the tune you can do to help mileage. There is a great writeup on HPtuners website about it. I've followed this procedure myself and found about another 2 mpg around town driving on a new SD tune I've been experimenting with,,,with no other changes to the car.
    Do you have a quick link to said writeup.

I'll have to PM it to you.

PM sent.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    I totaly agree with pajeff02. I'm going to do a full tune on my 04 Sierra in a few weeks for fuel economy. Only mods are efans and CAI. I average 17-18mpg. After tune I want 20mpg. I think it is a goal that I can get. I will let you know how I do. Also I think if you have alot of miles on your car a standard tune up will help MPG. Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, PCV, O2s.
    Well I finished my full tune w/ a WB02.
    I now average 18.5-19mpg easy. That is w/out the fuel economy tune. I plan on doing that with in the next week or two. I would highly recomend a tune on even a stock car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Well I finished my full tune w/ a WB02.
    I now average 18.5-19mpg easy. That is w/out the fuel economy tune. I plan on doing that with in the next week or two. I would highly recomend a tune on even a stock car.
    That's a good baseline before you throw in the economy tuning tricks. After those tricks I outlined in the PM, you'll see another 2 mpg increase at a minimum. I saw 3-4 mpg on my wifes car with absolutely no difference in drivability at all.

I just finished a 6.0/4L60E swap in my 72 blazer and drove it for the first time tonight. After I get a baseline on mileage and work some bugs out,,,you can bet that fuel mileage tune will also be going in this one too.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Make sure that DFCO is working and let it work. Open it's window up. The drag at throttle release can take a little getting used to, but do it. It will take you a little playing with to find the window, but sometimes working towards the goal is the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Make sure that DFCO is working and let it work. Open it's window up. The drag at throttle release can take a little getting used to, but do it. It will take you a little playing with to find the window, but sometimes working towards the goal is the fun.
    I'd love to get up the courage to play with the DFCO but those tables look a little intimidating, so I've never messed with them other than making sure it is turned on. That's about it.
    If I understood those tables a little more, I'd like to go in and play around with it a little bit and see if I can improve on anything.

Thread Information