Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

Unhappy Help - Trick Flow LS1 Top End Kit Dyno Reults

Hello - this is my first forum so give the older guy a break.

I installed the Trick Flow LS1 top end kit on a very low mile 98 SS Camaro M6 (19k miles). I got the kit that Trick Flow claims is 485 crank HPs and have the following supporting mods:
    - Long tube headers - Loudmouth II Exhaust - SLP Flow pack (lid and air scoop) - high flow cats - TB coolant bypass - 85mm throttle body - LS6 intake - blueprinted oil pump - EGR tube cut as to not block intake - 160 thermostat - LS2 timing chain - converted to the "truck coils" - 42lb injectors
    - brand new NGK TR55's gaped at .50 put in right before the tune - Thundervolt 50 wires - new valley cover to replace valve cover PCV

So about all the supporting mods are on the car, not a whole lot more to offer right? Install was perfect, no problems. The car runs well, no issues.

I just had it tuned at East Coast Supercharging in NJ this past Friday. Full street tune followed by a dyno tune performed on a DynaPack 4000.

Not excited about the results, 383 RWHP and 376 ftlbs

Now give it the temp was in the high 90's and it was dry out but still this seems really low. I'm worried something is wrong with the car but the guys at East Coast say it is fine, and with such low easy miles on it I can't imagine if the install was good what else the problem could be. I would think with the mods and the 485 kit I should be getting at least 485 flywheel HP, subtract about 15% for drive train = somewhere in the 405 - 415 rwhp range. I seem to be at least 20 - 25 hp off.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences with this kit would be greatly appreciated. I'm going mad worrying that something just isn't right with my beloved car.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

your ls6 intake is choking the system. get a fast 102 with the 102mm tb and watch those numbers skyrocket.

mid you 412hp is about what you would get if that package held true.

98' trans am

id also ask about the injector's duty cycle % ..i bet it is up there

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

You think 42 lb injectors would have a hard time keeping up with this combo? I thought they seemed kinda large but I'm certainly not the expert.

From what I recall the guys said since the injectors were so large the duty cycle was not topping 60% at WOT. Does this sound wrong?

Thanks again for the input. You really think the FAST intake and 102MM TB would do the trick? How about the FAST with the Trick Flow polished 85mm TB I currently have?

So it sounds like what I am getting is about expected for this kit and I don't have the problem I am imagining in my head?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You can check your injector sizing here - http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx#...ctor_Worksheet_

I agree with Shady - It sounds like you need to bring in more air. There wouldn't be much of an advantage of putting a Fast 102 intake on and leaving the 85mm tb though. You'd be better off swapping both.

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

If I installed the FAST and new TB should I have it tuned again? Thanks again for the input!

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 98SSCamaro View Post
    You think 42 lb injectors would have a hard time keeping up with this combo? I thought they seemed kinda large but I'm certainly not the expert.

From what I recall the guys said since the injectors were so large the duty cycle was not topping 60% at WOT. Does this sound wrong?

Thanks again for the input. You really think the FAST intake and 102MM TB would do the trick? How about the FAST with the Trick Flow polished 85mm TB I currently have?

So it sounds like what I am getting is about expected for this kit and I don't have the problem I am imagining in my head?
    oops didnt see you had different injectors already..those are more than enough

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I would have it tuned again as the a/f ratios are going to change due to more air being brought in.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    You can check your injector sizing here - http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx#...ctor_Worksheet_

I agree with Shady - It sounds like you need to bring in more air. There wouldn't be much of an advantage of putting a Fast 102 intake on and leaving the 85mm tb though. You'd be better off swapping both.
    x2 ...a 102 mm opening is about pointless with a 85mm tb...you should be running at least a 90mm anyways ..so personally i would dish out the coin and get a fast 102mm combo

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

Got you. Still all considering I seem to be getting what about what is expected from this kit with an LS6 intake and all supporting mods? I guess Trick Flow fudges those numbers little bit like everyone else.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Remember, manufacturers are going to put the best and highest
    #s out that they can - but they can test everything under ideal conditions too. I'd say your #s sound about right.

what are the cam specs with that package?
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

Right, so 485 crank HP was done with open headers, in a climate controlled environment, running no accessories, electric water pump. . . . . . maybe a little laughing gas floating in the room for good measure.

Read a lot of forums where guys were talking about these kits but didn't see any actual dyno sheets so figured I'd try it out and see what happened. Got a deal on the 485 kit that is the only reason I went with it.

I don't drag race the car or anything and I have to say the torque is impressive, I can drive around in 6th gear all day with the stock 3.42 rear now with no problem. If there doesn't seem to be a problem may just leave well enough alone.

Thanks again all for your input. If you think some are still interested in the actual dyno for a trick flow package I can see if I can figure out how to scan and post mine.

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

"Camshaft specs are 216/220 duration, .560 in./.560 in. lift, 114 lobe separation angle. 1997-98 model engines require the purchase of centerbolt valve covers. Trick Flow recommends this kit be used with at least 10.5:1 compression and a LS6 or FAST 90mm intake manifold. Aftermarket tuning is required."

Specs above, not a big cam at all, exceptional street manners with just a hint at idle that it's not stock.

Interesting that Trick Flow suggests the use of the LS6 or Fast 90 intake. . . .

yea thats pretty small. your numbers seem ok

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

onyx rock - looks like you do a bit of racing. Just curious with 383 RWHP and 375 tq and decent launch what would you guess this car would do in the 1/4 mile?

I actually dont do much racing and my 11.88 was first time out with mods in sig. Im guessing if you hook you can reach high 11s of course depending on your location and DA at the track.
    Im also not familiar with the dynapack dynos and how they read. If they are similar to the mustang dynos I would say your car should run pretty strong.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Your #s look fine, you have cats on the car, that's an extremely mild cam and you don't have aftermarket heads correct? You should be happy with the 383 all things considered

id imagine he has trick flow heads.

Black
    1998 SS Camaro

I would be VERY happy without heads. I have the whole Trick Flow top end kit including their 215cc runner CNC Gen X heads. Have high flow cats on it if that makes a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information