Help: Car won't start after tuning w/ Superchips

This is a discussion on Help: Car won't start after tuning w/ Superchips within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I looked online for problems with using Superchips on 2000 Trans Ams. I didn't find any. And looking at this ...

Navy Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Help: Car won't start after tuning w/ Superchips

I looked online for problems with using Superchips on 2000 Trans Ams. I didn't find any. And looking at this forum, nobody was complaining about any problems with it. So, I either got a bad tuner, or I was unfortunate to have a fluke happen during programming.

Anyways, After selecting the Custom Options (the only one I changed from Superchips programming was keeping the stock rev limiter), the tuner began programming and looked fine. After programming was complete, it then said Recovering stock. After this was finished, it said failed with Error code 035. It then gave error code 042.

I tried calling superchips, but apparently they are closed on the weekends.

Has anyone ran into this problem, and know how to fix it? Right now, my car is sitting in the driveway, and I prefer it to be in the garage. But, without the car starting, I can't get it into the garage. Please help.

I'm not familiar with Superchips at all. Most handhelds ask you to store your stock tune first before putting their tuning in - only thing I can think of is try disconnecting the battery for a while - then see if it'll reload the stock tune. Sorry, not much help...

Navy Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Okay. I disconnected the battery for about 45 minutes or so. I started this right after I posted this thread.

I connected the battery back up, and tried to start it. It still wouldn't start. I connected the Superchips tuner, and again it failed w/ error code 035. After about 3 automatic attempts, it failed again w/ error code 042 (upload failure).

So, I disconnected the superchips tuner, and plugged it back in. It failed again. Though, I noticed that the progress indicator for recovering stock was able to progress a little further than it did before. So, I disconnected and re-connected, failed again progressing further, and then repeated. That last time it went all the way with the progress indicator, said it was succesful, deleted the DTC's and told me to disconnect the tuner. After doing so, the car started up (whoooaaaa, thank god).

Anyways, since superchips isn't open on the weekends, I'm gonna send them an email asking for support. I might also just try to get the tuner to read the stock settings tomorrow. But, I won't program it until I hear back from superchips.

Thanks for your reply 2001NBMSZ28.

Cool - glad you got it to start! I've only used HPP3 and Predator. Don't know what those error codes were but I've always made sure before tuning my battery was fully charged, didn't mess with anything that would draw power while programming, like turning the radio on, etc., and stayed clear of the cable. And welcome to the board.

Navy Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I did have everything off that I could. I turned the auto-dimming mirror/compass off, the radio off (but the clock stayed on).

As far as the battery being fully charged, I didn't think about that. I read it in the Superchips manual, but I didn't think twice about it. I should have watched the volt meter when they told me to turn the ignition on (no, I didn't start the car). Maybe that was it.

I'm going to send an email to them tonight, and see if they have any answers.

If I don't have a fully charged battery, what do I have to do? I don't want to buy a brand new battery when I've got one that is still useable for the next couple of years or so.

I just warm the car up, then turn it off and check the battery voltage with a digital volt meter. Then wait for the RAP power to turn off if I leave the door open. I always leave my fan switch on vent and have to remember to turn it off since the air box fan will run on low. Probably overkill but I'm on my third battery and never had any problems. Predator only takes a few seconds to load a tune, seemed like the old HPP3 I had took several minutes.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    I just warm the car up, then turn it off and check the battery voltage with a digital volt meter. Then wait for the RAP power to turn off if I leave the door open. I always leave my fan switch on vent and have to remember to turn it off since the air box fan will run on low. Probably overkill but I'm on my third battery and never had any problems. Predator only takes a few seconds to load a tune, seemed like the old HPP3 I had took several minutes.
    My HPP3 took almost 40 mins to load the tune. That was with recalibrating the speedo for gears and tires, changing the cooling fan temps, and putting in the tune itself. Thats hard to believe that the Predator only takes a few seconds...

Navy Blue
    2000 Trans Am

I called Superchips. They were no help. They also never replied to my email. Their customer service is quite lacking.

After thinking about it, I went ahead and turned the alarm system off. I also turned off Theftlock on the radio. I then attempted to program again. And what do you know, it worked. It's kind of a pain though to turn the alarm off. Have to pull out a fuse.

I'm glad it's working now. I can't wait to take it in for a dyno and see the new numbers.
    2000 WS6 Trans Am
    Mods:
    SLP Loudmouth exhaust
    SLP Subframe connectors
    SLP Strut Tower Brace
    AT Italia Rims
    Michelin Pilot Sport Tires
    Superchips
    SLP Skip-shift eliminator
    SLP floor mats

Thread Information