Have a rich condition need a fix!

This is a discussion on Have a rich condition need a fix! within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OK guys here's my problem I just bought a 2006 GTO it has American racing long tube headers and a ...

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

Have a rich condition need a fix!

OK guys here's my problem I just bought a 2006 GTO it has American racing long tube headers and a complete magnaflow exhaust on it, and also a Megan Racing cold air intake. I have had the check engine light come on a few times when I am lugging the motor a little instead of up in the RPM's I had it scanned and the codes were P0175 and P0173 which are rich codes for bank one and bank 2. I am going to assume that this is being caused my the exhaust and intake with the stock fuel map. I don't think it is hurting anything but I would like to get rid of the occasional warning light. can anyone with any knowledge on this help me out? To fix it I am going to guess I am going to need to get rid of the stock computer parameters? Thanks any help is greatly appreciated!!
    -Kyle

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

Possible solutions include for p0175

Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
    Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
    Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
    Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail
    Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced.
    Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

p0173

It should be stated right off the bat that the most common problem associated with this code is the MAF sensor or air mass meter. This is especially the case with Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen and other European cars. At time of writing, you don't normally see this code with American-made cars, and minimally with Asian, and, to be honest, I have no idea why. It appears to me that the PCM (powertrain control module) logic used by some European car manufacturers to set a P0173 (or P0173) fault code simply isn't used by American vehicle manufacturers. It is more common to see P0171, 0174, 0172, 0175 codes set with regard to fuel trim malfunctions on American cars. There is very little information on the setting conditions for a P0173, or P0173, but what information that is available almost seems to be a redundancy of the P0171,4,2 & 5 setting conditions. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I can't get anyone to tell me what that is. The similarities between them may be why we don't see this code surface on domestic vehicles very often. It's simply unnecessary. So, simply put, if you have a P0173, your PCM noticed that the fuel trims reached their rich correction limit. Basically it's adding fuel to try to compensate for a lean condition, real or perceived.

If you have this code and access to a scan tool, observe the MAF sensor reading in grams/sec. The reading will be different for different automobiles, so get a good spec. I'm going to stick with what would be normal for a Mercedes (1.8L), since they have the bulk of the trouble. Expect to see at idle 3.5-5 g/s (ideally). At 2500 RPMs with no load it should be between 9 and 12 g/s. On road test, at WOT (wide open throttle) it should be 90 g/s or well above. If it's not in specs, replace it. Be careful of Ebay MAFs. Often they don't work according to OE specifications. If the MAF checks out and there is no oil intrusion at the connector, check fuel pressure and ensure that there are no leaks at the regulator internally or externally. Check all vacuum hoses and confirm none are cracked, disconnected or missing. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks at the intake manifold gaskets or tears in the air supply hose. If the engine is turbo charged, be sure the hoses are in good condition and have no leaks. Leaking turbo pressure hoses could cause a rich condition. Inspect the condition of crankcase vent hose under intake manifold and operation of check valve in the hose. (In the "What are the causes?" section) If there doesn't appear to be any problems with the fuel pressure, MAF or vacuum hoses, then inspect the O2 sensor connectors for oil intrusion. A bad O2 sensor could cause a P0170, or P0173. Repair cause of oil leak and replace oil-fouled O2 sensor.
    Last edited by WS6SP33D; 11-07-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Brazen Orange
    2006 GTO

I have not dug really deep into anything but have not found anything that I can see externally that I think could be the problem it has less than 37K miles and everything still looks new hose wise can not hear or feel any exhaust leaks( I would think that would cause a lean condition anyway) and it runs just fine dose not miss a beat runs very smoothly at all times... just has that demon light!! I will continue to investigate. I do have a good mechanical background for most of the stuff but rail pressure and injectors are out of my league

Silver/Black
    2002 Camaro SS Cnvt

Rich faults are unusual. That's not how MAFs and O2 sensors
    tend to degrade or fail.

I would go get a cheapo Actron fuel pressure gauge (borrow
    or buy) just to settle that question. Then look at the fuel
    injectors, try and verify that the previous owner didn't just
    swap on some bigger ones and not mention it.

It's also not to be assumed that the "fuel map" (tune) is
    stock. People like to mess.

Thread Information