Got a tune today

This is a discussion on Got a tune today within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Had a local shop today dyno tune my SS after the longtube install. I am nom making 332hp and 350tq. ...

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

Got a tune today

Had a local shop today dyno tune my SS after the longtube install. I am nom making 332hp and 350tq. This is with longtubes and a lid. The funny thing was my a/f ratio. At part throttle it was 13!!! Needless to say he went ahead and leaned that back out for me. temp was 68ish and humidity was 16%. It was on a Dynojet.

I picked up about 20 with the long tubes, and then he tuned it and it made it up to 332hp.

Dave

Thanks for posting this.

Which lid & headers do you have and what about the rest of your exhaust system?

JFYI, I had my 01 Z28 dyno'd two years ago with an SLP lid and loudmouth exhaust. The best pull was 327.5 hp X 349 tq. Factory exhaust manifold and cats. Dynos vary as well as other factors so a direct comparison isn't what I'm trying to do. Just giving you some other numbers on a similar car.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I have an slp lid and slp lt's. My exhaust is actually holding me back some. It is just a dynomax super turbo hanging on each header and some gutted cats, I dont think it has quite enough back pressure. I am going wit a set of high flow cats and an x pipe with true duals soon. Should even out the flow and help me pick up some more hp

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

also, when I bought it earlier this fall, the car only had the SS appearance package, everthing else was normal z28 stuff.

Again, I'm not comparing my numbers to yours because they can be skewed by air temperature and elevation adjustment at the dyno - up to 8% according to a read I have. For instance, if my tech tweaked my numbers and yours didn't then the spread between our cars would be significant. If not, then you have more potential for sure. As for your SLP headers and the remaining exhaust system; I'm curious to know how that turns out. The sound coming from certain combinations can be a consideration.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

Yea, im not trying to compare. As far as the numbers go it was not tweaked as far as I know. I have pretty good hopes for the exhaust set up, after that I am just gonna enjoy the gains for a while. I have always found it interesting how some ls1's make more hp than others with similiar mods. The other thing I should have done is run a thinner oil for the dyno. I just changed it about 5 days earlier and I am running castrol 10-30.

I was really the happiest with my torque curve. It starts at 320ish at about 2K then slowly rises up to 350 at 5k. Nice smooth flat curve across the whole band.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Did you get a tune where they adjusted your spark and timing? Or more of a partial tune where they basically only adjusted your a/f? Just curious cus i just got my car dyno'd and i also picked up 20hp with my LT's.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I know he adjusted my A/f ratio, not sure about the sparc and timing. He only mentioned the fact that my A/F was way off. I know he reset my revlimiter, and turned off cags and the AIR system. Past that I am not sure. I am going back to get a digital copy of my dyno graph so I will ask then

Quote Originally Posted by dlbrando View Post
    The other thing I should have done is run a thinner oil for the dyno. I just changed it about 5 days earlier and I am running castrol 10-30.

I was really the happiest with my torque curve. It starts at 320ish at about 2K then slowly rises up to 350 at 5k. Nice smooth flat curve across the whole band.
    JFYI, I had 0w30 German formula Castrol Synthetic in the engine when I was dyno'd and although it was done inside, It was a cold Ohio winter day.

Red
    2000 SS

I have an slp lid and slp lt's. My exhaust is actually holding me back some. It is just a dynomax super turbo hanging on each header and some gutted cats, I dont think it has quite enough back pressure. I am going wit a set of high flow cats and an x pipe with true duals soon. Should even out the flow and help me pick up some more hp
    You DON'T want back pressure. I see people say this all the time. You may lose a little torque down low but it will be gained in the top end. Switching your exhaust to an x-pipe with true duals wont do much of anything for you. Only give you a different sound.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

with open headers I had no power throughout the entire band. With a set of mufflers that had a few bends in them I magically picked up a lot. the duals dumped before the axle with an x is more of an "I need an exhaust" move than anything else. since I beat the shit out of what I have on every speedbump and pothole in raleigh. Since this is a car that is driven on the road 98% of the time, I am gonna go with a little more backpressure that gains the extra torque. I would rather have the quicker pickup and better fuel economy than an extra 5 hp at 6500 rpm"
    Last edited by dlbrando; 11-20-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

and for the most part, fuel injected cars dont scavenge correctly without some sort of bakpressure. Yes, backpressure is bad, but too high a flow is too.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

and for the most part, fuel injected cars dont scavenge correctly without some sort of bakpressure. Yes, backpressure is bad, but too high a flow is too.
    bs man, you can tune for that. as long as your o2 sensors get readings, you're set.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

with open headers I had no power throughout the entire band. With a set of mufflers that had a few bends in them I magically picked up a lot. the duals dumped before the axle with an x is more of a I need an exhaust move than anything else. since I beat the shit out of what I have on every speedbump and pothole in raleigh. Since this is a car that is driven on the road 98% of the time, I am gonna go with a little more backpressure that gains the extra torque. I would rather have the quicker pickup and better fuel economy than an extra 5 hp at 6500 rpm

i don't care what it feels like, if you're driving an LS1 you have plenty of power. the gains you're seeing from putting on mufflers is the remedy for the poor o2 readings you get with open headers - causing the car to richen/lean the mix severely and wrongly.

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

ok, put nothing but pipe on the car, little to no backpressure, and you will feel a tremendous loss of low end power. Now put a few bends in the system or a muffler, and feel the difference in the low end. Go try it, please. You can call b.s. all day, but there are 3 other threads going on on this site right now that say the same damn thing.

I am not claiming that this MIGHT be true if you try it, I am telling you that I CAN feel a noticable power difference with a minimal exhaust versus a strait pipe no restrictions setup. This is why my tuner made me put what exhaust there is on there now on it before he tuned it.

by the way, this exact same phenomenon cropped up after I finished my stroker motor for my Cherokee. The best exhaust that made the most power actually had a cat and a muffler on it. an open exhaust is only really good for turboed or carbed applications

Thread Information