M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Good tuner to start tuning with?

What would be a good tuning tool to learn or begin to tune with? I originaly wanted to get a handheld tuner, but then i thought about a software like LS1Edit or HPTuners, for the long haul. But now i find myself going back to wanting a handheld like the Diablo since ive heard so many good things about it. Also with my current mods i think this would be the best choice, to do things like adjust the fan temps, or increase the shift pressure (till i get a shift kit) etc. Then when i decide on the H/C package, ill look into a more in depth tuner. Also they showed us how to tune at school, but we never actually did it, and i know you can mess things up in there if you dont know what youre doing, so i was thinking to start small and get my feet wet, then move on to the bigger fish. And lastly, i like to do everything on my car myself, thats why i ask these questions, and i dont just go and take the car to someone. Sorry for the essay, and thanks.
    Yulian

'01 M.R.M. TA A4:
    Bolt on's, suspension

'02 C.E.T.A. WS6 M6:
    Stock

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Its really going to be up to your comfort level. Our software allows you to tune up to 4 separate pcm's and supports gobs of GM pcm's not to mention many Ford's & soon Dodge as well so no matter the route you take in the future you'll probably be covered under our supported vehicles.

Add in the ability to scan nearly any gm vehicle from 97+ with one of the best scanner packages on the market makes the initial purchase price a great bang for your buck.

-Bill
    Support for HPTuners

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Why spend the money twice? There's a learning curve there but an editor is by far the best way to go. Since you're planning bigger mods down the road it'll be a must have at some point. I was happy with my diablo on my gto but it's still not in the same ball park with a full editor.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Thanks for the replys guys. Yeah i was thinking about the whole spending the money twice thing, but the thing is that i probably wont be doing the head and cam swap any time soon. (Since i plan on doing it myself). And after i installed my LT's, i removed the cats and placed 02 sims were the rear sensors were. It was fine for a few weeks, then the ses light came on and im sure shes running a little rich. I barley drive the car, ive probably only put about 3k on her since the header swap, but i know that running excesively rich is not good for an extended period of time. I just wanted to correct that problem and play with some other things for now. By the way, how much richer is my car running after the header swap? And is it not that much that it wouldnt be bad to run the car like that for awhile until i can save up a little more for the editor? Thanks again.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would think you would be ok for a little while. Hard to say though without actually logging it to see where you're at afr wise. An editor was one of the first things I bought. My thinking was that as I added mods it would give me some practice with it before it cam time to do heads/cam. When I finally did heads/cam I ended up switching to hptuners so I had to start over again anyhow.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Sounds good man, thanks again. I guess ill just wait till i can get the editor. My birthdays comin up so maybe ill get some extra cash there. Oh and another thing, is there any special needs as far as to what computer i have? I have an old laptop, but maybe itll still work if i have it cleaned or reset or whatever it is they do to it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you'll have to check the individual sites for minimum requirements for the editors. I *think*hptuners was 400mhz and 128mb ram. I bought a refurbished laptop at retrobox.com. That's the 2nd laptop I've bought through those guys and I've been very happy with both for the money I've spend there.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Alright, so i checked out hp tuners site and from my understanding, i will also have to purchase the scanner seperatley, if i want to log data in real time (while driving). Correct? Also, could you help me out with the versions and all that other stuff i would need to know. I just recently started researching this and dont know much about it. It says theres a VCM Suite 2.1.18, and VCM Suite 2.1.16, is this there most up to date stuff, and is one of these the one i should get? Also what is the difference between the standard and proffesional that makes it cost more? Im sorry im asking so many questions but i would really like to learn more about this stuff, i just dont know were to begin. Thanks again.
    Yulian

98 Formula
    06 duramax

ask as many questions as you have and no matter how dumb you think they are. I'll be more than happy to help you along. Plus, I had many of the same questions you do at one time.

The current version of hptuners is 2.1.18 That's the version you'll get if/when you order. The scanner is a built in function so you get both the scanner and the editor in one. The difference between the pro and standard is what they call the EIO feature. It lets you have more inputs to the scanner itself and has outputs from the scanner. The main purpose most use this for is to log wideband data right along with your other data. Trust me when I say this...save up the extra cash and get the pro version to use with a wideband. I used the wideband seperate of my scanner for a couple of years and it really really sucks. It's nice to have it log right along side your other data and well worth the extra money. Any other questions?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

So if i were to buy the VCM suite 2.1.18 pro, it already comes with the scanner? So what is the one they show that is sold seperatley used for, the earlier models?

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

It took me awhile to realize that you already answered that question in the previous post. Sorry, im a little slow, I have to read things more than once to fully understand it. And how many vehicles can i tune with this, I saw that you have two that you can lock onto (what does that mean), and several others you can tune? This would work out for me cause i currently have two f-bods in my family i can play with, but it would be nice if in the future i could tune cars for people and make a little dough on the side.
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 07-22-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Dark Teal
    1997 Grand Prix GTP

You can tune 4 cars (you start with 8 credits, 2 per car)...then you can buy more credits if you need too. Or you can use 4 credits and tune all F-body's of one year, I just used 2 since I don't even know anyone else w/ a GTP. There are a lot of write-ups for HPTuners, actually a ton for V-8's. You'll have full access to their forum where you can ask lots of questions and find all the tuning guides. If you know someone near you who tunes though, the first hand experience is great ;-)

BTW, I wouldn't tune cars for other people until you are VERY experienced...even then if their engine blows after you tune it guess who's fault...

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor285 View Post
    You can tune 4 cars (you start with 8 credits, 2 per car)...then you can buy more credits if you need too. Or you can use 4 credits and tune all F-body's of one year, I just used 2 since I don't even know anyone else w/ a GTP. There are a lot of write-ups for HPTuners, actually a ton for V-8's. You'll have full access to their forum where you can ask lots of questions and find all the tuning guides. If you know someone near you who tunes though, the first hand experience is great ;-)

BTW, I wouldn't tune cars for other people until you are VERY experienced...even then if their engine blows after you tune it guess who's fault...
    Thanks alot man. And good point about tuning other peoples cars. Thats why i wanna start on my car and start small. Also ill be leaving sunday for UTI where we are supposed to learn how to tune on a GTO w/ an LS1 in the "performance" section of the course. But if thats even true, that would be greatly beneficial to me, and i can take what i learned home and then tune my car. Also, thats why im askin all these questions 'cause i just wanna have a breif understanding of what im getting into first without just jumping into tuning blindly. But thanks again too all who helped!

Thread Information