Getting Tuned Tuesday

This is a discussion on Getting Tuned Tuesday within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I had some work done to my car a few years ago. I've got a cam (no specs) and heads ...

Black
    99 Z28

Getting Tuned Tuesday

I had some work done to my car a few years ago. I've got a cam (no specs) and heads were ported (no specs).

I have an e-85 station right by my house and I'm thinking of having them tune it for e-85.

This is my first time ever having the car at at dyno and also my first time having it tuned well.

The shop that did the other work gave a lousy tune and I haven't really been all that thrilled about spending more money on it.

Anything I should know or ask or be prepared for in this?

I'm getting charged $425 for this and it's going to be done with HP Tuner.

hugger orange

stay away from the e-85 our fuel systems are not compatible ( lines, seals, fuel rail) there are some older threads in here somwhere that talk about it.
    I called GM myself when I was thinkikg about it and they said no, and running e-85 in a non compatible vehical will even void any waranty

Black
    99 Z28

warranty? it's 91,000 miles

That's over and done with.

wouldn't the tune itself void most of the drive train warranty anyway?

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post

lol thats the nice thing about having your own tuner....detune the night before you take the car to get serviced.

but like I said, i would stay away from the e85 with our cars...atleast till they get a good cheap retrofit

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

they won't know it's there unless you *tell* them

Black
    99 Z28

the results are in....

I did e-85 love it or hate it, that's what I did.

It runs awesome.

In the mile high city, I'm at 324 tq and 340 hp and it runs better than it ever has.

hugger orange

the results are in....

It runs awesome.

In the mile high city, I'm at 324 tq and 340 hp and it runs better than it ever has.
    ok just curious since you did it. after awhile can you keep an eye on your fuel mileage and post before and after mpg?
    I ve heard good things and bad things about e85 and just would like to know how it works out for you personaly

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

the results are in....

It runs awesome.

what??! those are almost stock numbers! with heads and cam you should be in the 400 rwhp range.

Crazy for going e85. I feel bad for your car.

Why did you go e85? Just because there is one by your house?

http://www.e85prices.com/
    Last edited by totalkos; 07-08-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Black
    99 Z28

the tune before was for crap so I'll report my MPG after this tank of gas.

I went with it at the suggestion of a few people who have suggested higher power ratings.

Yeah, those numbers aren't amazing, but it's not a big cam (no specs) and there's nothing else done to the car.

It runs a helluva lot better than it did before, I can definitely report that.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Hi, Could be wrong on this. From what I've read on the e85. it will give you worse mpg, less power. Negating the cost savings using more between fill ups. Now if a programer got it running ok and the mpg is doabe. Great! Still gotta wonder on the mpg. Went back to edit. Ain't pissing on your parade. Running better than it has in 2 years counts for something eh? Dave
    Last edited by locodave; 07-08-2008 at 10:55 PM.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    what??! those are almost stock numbers! with heads and cam you should be in the 400 rwhp range.

Crazy for going e85. I feel bad for your car.

Why did you go e85? Just because there is one by your house?

http://www.e85prices.com/
    You can always count on someone pissing on a parade here.

who the fuck cares specifically why or where the gas is really. We'll find out how it is in a few weeks and if it's really that shitty, then I'll just jump back to gasoline. It's not the end of the world. My car runs better than it has in the 2 years that I've had it back from the previous lousy shop.

hugger orange

all second hand coming from me here lol. from what I've read when tuned for it you are suposed to get alittle more power and lose some mpg... but we all know how accurate they estimate average fuel mileage. now we can get first hand real world experience from you.
    I wonder if someone will come out with a special cam grind to take more advantage of the proporties of e85

Black
    99 Z28

Just for clarification; those numbers are at a mile high and those numbers are at the wheel, not at the flywheel.

I'll get some gas in the next few days and post up some MPG, I know it's going to suck. I can't help but get in it. Next tank of gas I'll go easier on it and drive like normal.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

I was under the assumption that E-85 in a non flexfuel car will corrode virtually every fuel system component. I guess your gutsy experiment will teach us all a lesson or two. I hope that nothing bad happens to your car.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Just for clarification; those numbers are at a mile high and those numbers are at the wheel, not at the flywheel.

I'll get some gas in the next few days and post up some MPG, I know it's going to suck. I can't help but get in it. Next tank of gas I'll go easier on it and drive like normal.
    What kind of mileage were you getting before the tune + E-85 under normal driving?

Black
    99 Z28

around 18 or so in town, 25 - 27 if it was all highway.

hugger orange

I've ot a really nice brick here in the garage I can box up and ship to you to put under the right pedal, that should help keep your foot in check lol
    yeah every time I do a mod my fuel mileage really sucks for a week or so till I stop playing

Black
    99 Z28

So sometime since or during the tune the bushing got thrown/pulled/fucked up/whatever for the drive shaft into the rear bell housing of the transmission.

That came out and popped the seal on it. It was smoking like a bitch, ATF on the exhaust is not a good smell.

I got that fixed on Saturday. Could have been a very expensive job. A $13 part and a friend that is a transmission guy.

He hooked me up, I owe him big time. That would have probably been 400 to 600 or even a grand if it wasn't him doing it.

The first fill up for gas (e-85) I got to figure gas milage. It wasn't pretty, but I seriously was in it, ALL the time This tank I've been on the road a bit so it'll be kinder.

The first tank was just under 13 mpg.

hugger orange

So sometime since or during the tune the bushing got thrown/pulled/fucked up/whatever for the drive shaft into the rear bell housing of the transmission.

That came out and popped the seal on it. It was smoking like a bitch, ATF on the exhaust is not a good smell.

I got that fixed on Saturday. Could have been a very expensive job. A $13 part and a friend that is a transmission guy.

He hooked me up, I owe him big time. That would have probably been 400 to 600 or even a grand if it wasn't him doing it.

The first fill up for gas (e-85) I got to figure gas milage. It wasn't pretty, but I seriously was in it, ALL the time This tank I've been on the road a bit so it'll be kinder.

The first tank was just under 13 mpg.
    lol the first tank or two after a big mod is never good... lol youll get your self control back.
    its amazing how much you can save by dgoing your own work when ever possible isnt it...i had one of my friends up late saturday night helping me rewire my bike

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

read sarges write up on 2 stroke oil additive in your fuel, he says that will increase the longevity of your converted car.

Thread Information