SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Question Get a Tune or Buy program + wideband

I know this has probably been asked before, but what should I do, people in my area want like 400 bucks for dyno time and a tune, but i know i can get the software for around that, and be able to make changes myself when problems arise.

Also i'm nervous about getting a tune by somebody and then having problems with it, and then having to go back and ask them to find time to make changes etc....

Which program would you all recommend, HP tuners, LS1 edit, etc...

Would my car being a 98 change anything in terms of tuning it,
    i know mr22's page is for 99+ cars, so what would be different for my car?
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I wouldnt even let the thought of tuning my car cross my mind unless i know what im doing. Tuning a car isnt as easy as ppl say it is, but its not brain surgeory. If u are good with comps and know how FI engines work, then go for it. HP Tuners is the best thats out on the market right now, and the standard package alone is $500. If u find a good tuner that knows his stuff, u dont have to worry about anything breaking or giving u problems. Besides most places only charge u like $150 to come back and re-tune or something. Find a place that speacializes in LS1 tuning and ull be good. WHATEVER U DO, DO NOT BUY THAT HYPERTECH SHIT.

silver
    98 ss camaro

I'm in the same situation if you don't mind learning I say do it yourself maybe even do both get your tunner take it down to a shop have then use your tunner and show you how while they do it i'm sure they will and you'll know exactly what to do next time thats what i'm trying to do. Just haven't found a shop around me that I trust theres sooo many bad shops here in the bay area.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    I'm in the same situation if you don't mind learning I say do it yourself maybe even do both get your tunner take it down to a shop have then use your tunner and show you how while they do it i'm sure they will and you'll know exactly what to do next time thats what i'm trying to do. Just haven't found a shop around me that I trust theres sooo many bad shops here in the bay area.
    Most tuners don't have time to go through each step. I know I don't hide a thing, but I also know that the dyno costs by the hour and there is always another car Just a little perspective from the other side.

silver
    98 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Most tuners don't have time to go through each step. I know I don't hide a thing, but I also know that the dyno costs by the hour and there is always another car Just a little perspective from the other side.
    Yes of course you gonna spend the money for the extra time but I think it's worth it it's like paying for a class on tuning your car just do you research on the place so you know your learning correctly.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by slpcamaro View Post
    Yes of course you gonna spend the money for the extra time but I think it's worth it it's like paying for a class on tuning your car just do you research on the place so you know your learning correctly.
    Hey, if you cover the $150/hr (not my rates, the dyno!) for the car and cover my time (I could be tuning the next car) then I have no problem teaching, and I imagine most other tuners would not either.

You would likely find the most cost effective approach is reading the forums. HPTuners has a very large forum. Without already knowing how things work there is no way that you could expect to sit with a tuner even for 4-5 hours and learn how to tune your car.

We all had to learn it on our own, it's just one of those things.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

FWIW if any of you have HPT and are having a problem, post it up and the file. I am around and others as well that would be able to help you out.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    Would my car being a 98 change anything in terms of tuning it,
    i know mr22's page is for 99+ cars, so what would be different for my car?
    same basic tables. the 97-98 don't have a secondary VE table and a few other minor things.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

what is the secondary VE table? how about the minor things?

also, do you think most tuners would allow me to bring my computer and the software so they can use it to tune my car, ie so that I have ownership of the investment, and i'm not just paying the tuner the 400 dollars for the credit for the car.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    what is the secondary VE table? how about the minor things?

also, do you think most tuners would allow me to bring my computer and the software so they can use it to tune my car, ie so that I have ownership of the investment, and i'm not just paying the tuner the 400 dollars for the credit for the car.
    I wouldn't... I have a lot of custom configs (not to mention my wideband config/PID!) in my scanner. I have a lot of time into creating and setting these up and organizing them, and they are a very large part of the tool and process. Sounds like I am being difficult I know, but if you understood the whole process you would get where I am coming from. With that said, your laptop will work just fine to edit after the fact, or even better yet, do it yourself.

No one can pour this data into your head, we all paid our dues to learn to how to do this, even if in some cases that just means a LOT of reading. You also need a full understanding of how the engines work and some electronics knowledge. If you have these and a little determination you will be tuning in no time. Also like I said, if you buy the suite and post your file, there is much help to be had here and at the HPTuner's forum. I can help you get set up with a base file to work from.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

If I could do it again I would've done the self tuning thing first as my tuner had a hard time dialing in my vehicle the way I wanted for drivability purposes. Took me about 45 minutes to fix every drivability issue I had with the car on my own once I had tuning software for myself. So I suppose its the position your in, prices have come down dramatically since then & most packages offer several licenses with your purchase so your not just limited to your 98 LS1 you could tune several other vehicles(of your own or other peoples) to earn some of that $ back. Things like !cags, fan temps & stuff is easy stuff that anyone could do in a matter of minutes for a few bucks on the side.

-Bill

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I wouldn't... I have a lot of custom configs (not to mention my wideband config/PID!) in my scanner. I have a lot of time into creating and setting these up and organizing them, and they are a very large part of the tool and process. Sounds like I am being difficult I know, but if you understood the whole process you would get where I am coming from. With that said, your laptop will work just fine to edit after the fact, or even better yet, do it yourself.

No one can pour this data into your head, we all paid our dues to learn to how to do this, even if in some cases that just means a LOT of reading. You also need a full understanding of how the engines work and some electronics knowledge. If you have these and a little determination you will be tuning in no time. Also like I said, if you buy the suite and post your file, there is much help to be had here and at the HPTuner's forum. I can help you get set up with a base file to work from.
    Nor would I, it would probably take me 3x as long going back & forth from one pc to the other swapping over info, etc.

Frost & I have been doing this for a while, most of it simply R&D work, there is soooo much information out there for someone wanting to learn it would be hard not to find the information your looking for but as stated its up to you to do the reading of the information thats been posted or stickied, everything from TPS codes after a cam change to reduced power mode and why it sometimes happens is all covered in the stickies on the hptuners forum but in the end its up to you to read them to suck up that info.

white
    2002 B4C

Can you do any tuning without dyno on AFR & timing? I'm not interested in peak HP just dialing it in to fit my needs as Bill stated he has done. I think I could handle gear ratio change, shift firmness and the like, but AFR and timing...hmmmm. I'm thinking about getting a mail order tune, but again, as Bill said what if I want to change things. Seems every time a mechanic does something to my car I have to go in behind him and adjust stuff. Granted I have had some crappy mechanics work on my car, but I like to know how stuff works. That and a lot of guys ask me to help with their cars.

black
    2002 TRANS AM WS6

With a wide band you can tune the car very well, at least I did. But it wasn't until I got it on the dyno and saw the lack of power below 4500 rpm that I knew I needed to tweak the timing. I changed the timing after the dyno and didn't get back for 6 months. I picked up 200 rwtq and 180 rwhp at 4300 rpm and smoothed out the curve below that. The dyno will be a must at some point. Also with EFI Live you can tune your car, 97-98, without useing any of the licenses, leaving them to tune two other cars with.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the original question just depends on the level of commitment you would have towards learning. It takes time......lots of it. As for paying a tuner it's like my dad used to always say when I was young " I get paid for what I know, not what I do." There was never really any question for me when it came time for my car to need tuned. I enjoy working on my car as much or more than driving it and there's no way I'd have anyone else tune it. Would it probably make more HP if someone else had tuned it? I'm sure it would, but I'm satisfied with the job I've done on it.

red
    2000 ss

Does anyone know the cam specs on slp stage 2

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

^^ no, but that is what we call "hijacking a thread"

Thread Information