Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got my Hp tuner, and the problems have begun

Well it finally showed up today after 2 1/2 weeks. I installed it on my laptop no problems and it recognized the usb port etc....got all that done. Then when I go to open HPtuner it won't accept my code the HPtuner sent me. Anyway,,,I do one of the other 3 options it gives you so I can atleast operate the darn thing,,,and all I can stare at is the blank screen with HP tuner in the middle of it. There are only 3-4 icons at the top to click on and everything in them is blank.
    What happened to the engine, transmission, fans, and other big boxes like that to choose from that everyone showed me pictures of when I was thinking of buying? I am afraid to hook this thing to the car until it operates correctly. Since it says it will not save any data until the code is accepted Larry.

sux bro , G/L !

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

call HP Tuners back up and talk with them through your problems with the software. they should be able to help get everything straightened out for you.

Ya, I can't call until 11 am today because they are 3 hours behind me. So I sit here thinking of a way to get this to work.
    Only a couple of reason I can think of as to why it won't accept my code. It was emailed to me with all capital letters. So I entered it all capital letters. Maybe it's not supposed to be capitalized? Between each clump of letters there is a dash ( - ) that I also put in,,,should that be left out? It's the way the code was sent to me so I plugged it in exactly the same. These computers can be finicky that way.

Also within those capital letters are a few numbers towards the end, and mixed in is either the letter "I" or the number "1" and of course the letter "l" when it isn't capitalized looks like this as well.
    In my email these letters or numbers I am referring to look like this ( l ) which looks like a small letter L in the middle of a bunch of capital letters. It doesn't look like the number "1" and it's definately not a capital "I"
    I know computers can be fussy about this as well and there is no way to differentiate this other than to try one of many various combinations.
    Can anyone shed some light on this? It's the only reason I can think of. Larry.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you can't call HPTuners at all. i had the same issue. what i did was copy and paste the code into the box and it worked for me.

once you get the code worked out, then you have to plug into the ALDL and do a read entire through the editor. this way, it downloads the PCM file. now you can play with it all you want.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

I did manage to just now get it hooked up to the car and did a read entire, saved it as the stock SS tune.
    After that I changed the fan on/off temps only and flashed it just to see if it worked. Wooohoooo the fans now work at the temps I plugged in according to the temp reading on the lap top. Now that it's working I have a couple other questions.
    I want to remove the torque management. I was told on the "transmission" section to simply disable,,,,does that mean under the "abuse mode" you simply select disable? Thats it?

In the engine section I was told to zero out the "retard vs % torque reduction". I don't see an icon to click on that is worded exactly like that in the engine section. Can someone please explain this in a little more depth?

Lastly,,,exactly what tables can I play with to firm up the shifts at full throttle. Thanks in advance for any help. Larry.

Okay I did find retard verses % torque reduction,,,it's a long skinny table that goes pretty far accross,,,and up to as high as 50,,,,am I supposed to make that all zeros all the way accross?

Anyone with HPtuner that is familiar with the tables I speak of?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Okay I did find retard verses % torque reduction,,,it's a long skinny table that goes pretty far accross,,,and up to as high as 50,,,,am I supposed to make that all zeros all the way accross?
    yes. highlight the entire table, then go up to the box and put 0, then click =. it will do it all for you in one shot. if you are an auto, go into the trans section and disable torque management as well.

Followed your instructions, worked great,,,many thanks
    Now I need to figure out how to raise transmission line pressure,,,there seems to be quite a few tables that affect this, I am not sure which one to mess with.
    This is where Diablo had an advantage,,,you simply change the percentage and you were done.
    Do you have an idea which one to play with?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

that's where alot of handhelds have the edge. for those that don't know what to do, you just push a button and let the tuner do the work for you.

i didn't mess with line pressure as i raised it via a shift kit on the rebuild some time ago. visit hptuners message board for some answers as well.

Silver/Black
    2002 Camaro SS Cnvt

Go to the hptuners.com forums and you can find a lot of the
    basics covered already.

Think about where and why you want to raise line pressure.
    Many of the tables are for specific circumstances and you
    may not need to raise pressures everywhere (or anywhere).
    Logging the shift actions would be a good way to start.
    Don't know what to do until you know what you've got.

Thanks for the advice guys, I reluctantly signed on over there this morning. I did alot of searching, found bits and pieces on transmission line pressures here and there but nothing organized in one area and it's hard to try and put it all together and make sense at the same time. I was hoping to find a sticky on something about friming up shifts with a computer tune,,,wishfull thinking on my part. So I popped a couple questions about it,,,so far nothing. I am guessing maybe the traffic is a bit slow over there. Larry.

Well plenty of lookers on HPtuners but no one stepping up to answer any questions. So I started playing with the tables on my own.

Can someone enlighten me here? Under Transmission/shift properties there is a block called shift pressure and it has 2 options,,,,normal and performance. I look at the performance section and all of the blocks for the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 shifts are at 90,,,max at the bottom says 96 so there isn't much of any room to play here, so I left it as is.

Under the normal section is where I made some changes. It starts pretty low and gradually escalates to a max of 90. I started bumping up the lower numbers in unison keeping everything smooth, and reaching 90 sooner, the lowest area starts around 50 at the 80 ft lbs. block and slowly climb +2 or +3 as you go,,,much like the stock graph,,,and reaches 90 at 320 ft lbs. then continues with 90 the rest of the way.

I slowly crept up on this about 10 at a time until I had the shift firmness I desired, and it drives nice with crisp shifts, very happy with that.

My problem lies at a full throttle run. At full throttle the shifts are stockish, not snappy, when I back off the pedal just a small amount it's snappy. Is there an adjustment I am missing for full throttle? Does something change when 100% TPS is reached?
    I can scratch second gear at all part throttle positions until I reach the floor, then it goes back to stockish, kinda smooth, and no tire chirp.
    What am I missing? Larry.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

if you have the performance shift button in your car, that's what it does. when off, it uses the normal table. when on, it uses the performance table.

try copying the performance table to the normal table and see how you like that.

Hold on let me look

Sorry don't know of any performance shift button in the car. Can't seem to find anything in the transmission section either. What makes the tune switch from normal to performance,,,a certain TPS signal?
    Are you telling me to try putting all 90's in the normal section,,,even down low?

I only ask because this thing is already pretty snappy at part throttle,,,I was just dissappointed when a full throttle run netted a normal lazy feeling shift

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

some cars had the option for this push button. it would be on the center console below the shifter, if you had it. my 94 formula had it. i don't think camaros ever got it. if you had the button, it would send signal to the PCM to use the performance tables. it raised the shift point and firmness. madehte belts squeak on the motor when it shifted, because it slowed the motor down from shifting so abruptly.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

just looked at the table. just copy it over. try the desired shift time performance table. this tells it how long to take between shifts. it's set to 0.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information