Thread: ECM Dumping

White
    2001 Z28

ECM Dumping

I am having a problem with my ECM. I have had my car tuned. However, the ECM dumped the tune and reset itself in a very rich mode. This caused fuel dilution and other issues with my motor. How can I ensure this will not happen again?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Buy a new ECM. It shouldnt loose a tune.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf37 View Post
    I am having a problem with my ECM. I have had my car tuned. However, the ECM dumped the tune and reset itself in a very rich mode. This caused fuel dilution and other issues with my motor. How can I ensure this will not happen again?
    no such thing...... you have/had issues somewhere else. The pcm can be bad but it doesn't lose it's tune and reset itself.

White
    2001 Z28

Ouch!

Thanks for the input. This sounds like it is going to be expensive.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not necessarily. Anything happened lately that could be attributed to the rich condition? Such as did this start doing it after you did something with/to the car? Are there any locals near you that can log the car? It could be something simple such as a temp sender, exhaust leak, or something along those lines. How rich are you and how do you know you're rich? Finally, what mods, who tuned the car, and how many miles? Bunch of questions I know but maybe someone here can help you out with enough info.

White
    2001 Z28

My car is a 2001 Z28 A4. It has a cam, ported heads, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air intake, LT headers, and an underdrive. My UOAs have been showing fuel dilution and excessive wear. The shop that works on my car is tuning it again, as it lost the settings that they put on it. It went to a very rich setting.
    Sorry it took me so long to get back on this I was out of town this weekend.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Looks like your computer took a dump. That aftermarket maf isnt helping as well....

White
    2001 Z28

I will get my car back tomorrow. I hope the tune holds this time. If it will not hold the tune: do I relace the ECM?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

If it wont hold the tune I would replace it. Orion/Frost are the tuners tho and I would go with their opinion

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    If it wont hold the tune I would replace it. Orion/Frost are the tuners tho and I would go with their opinion
    Frost is the tuner.....not me. There's just no way for the pcm to "lose" the tune. What's it going to revert too? The stock settings? They were flashed over. I would put money on that maf being the culprit or something mechanical....not the tune.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Those G-MAFs are garbage though; they are all over the place and they seem to drift quite a bit over time. I'm not saying that's it, but out of the huge pile of Granatelli pieces I have seen, only one or two of them was ever very repeatable.

Thread Information