Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Early Rev Limiter in 1st and 2nd Gear??

For some reason my car wont rev past 4600 rpms in 1st or 2nd gear.. I had it tuned last summer and didn't have time to bring it back to my tuner after I had noticed the problem because I put my car almost immediately into storage. I was also breaking in a new clutch so I never revved it up that high. I talked to my tuner and he's gonna check it out next week now that I have my TA back on the road again. He told me that the neutral rev limiter was set near 4600 and that the in-gear rev limiter was set at 6750. The car drives perfectly at all other rpms and has no problem exceeding 4600 rpms in 3rd or 4th gear (haven't tried 5th cuz that's too damn fast lol). Some of my friends thinks it could be a problem with spark because I've had nearly my entire fuel system checked out.

Last summer before my tune, I put in a new fuel pump, fuel filter, replaced kinked lines to and from the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump sock and I also had my injectors pulled and tested. I cannot imagine what mechanical problem could be causing this.. I'm hoping that my tuner will know what to do and fix what I'm hoping is only a tuning problem. What do you guys think about this??
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

in gear rev limiter is WAY WAY to high, you hit that bitch and ur gonna hit the wall

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

i dont rev past the redline

Wow, You don't have a cam or any other internal mods from what I see, so why would a tuner set your limiter to 6750??

Doesn't matter if you don't rev it past 6,000, you miss a gear and you are going to have problems. That's what the limiter is really intended for.

Not sure why he would set the neutral limiter to only 4,600 rpm. I don't see any advantage to that either. But evidently something is affecting your 1-2 gears and not the others from your description.
    Definately sounds like a tuning issue to me. Judging by what has been set already on a relatively stock car, I might look around at other tuners too.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Stock valve springs will float well before you will hit that limiter... might want to re-think that

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah there is a fuel cut off (rev limiter) vs RPM adjustment for all six gears, neutral and reverse. Tell the tuner to set them all to something like 6000 to 6200 rpm. You should be safe around there.

Thread Information