98 Formula
    06 duramax

E40 tuning....Frost.

I'm looking at how to tune the ve and maf for the e40's and I must say I'm in shock over how different it is than the gen 3's. It's like starting all over again. Is my understanding correct that you can set the high rpm disable/enable temps low and run the off of the MAF only to calibrate your maf table? Is that using a MAF error histogram? I have a ton more reading to do.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

the VE work sucks.

Tuning on the MAF is a snap and the principal is the same as the Gen III stuff.

The 2bar SD OS seems to work with the MAF still enabled, which can be nice.

GMVE tuning in native form

98 Formula
    06 duramax

can you explain what the hang up is on the ve? What makes it so much different than the gen3 stuff? I read the how to at tuningdoctor and it seems very similar to the gen 3 stuff but all the discussion I see about it makes it seem like it's not quite that simple. I then saw bluecat's ve equation program which makes it look a lot more complicated than the how to at tuningdoctor. I'm just not sure what the major difference is that makes the gen 4 so different.
    The MAF looks pretty straight forward but I want to figure out this ve deal too. I also see the gen 4 uses both spark tables when in SD too.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I have no idea what the tuning school teaches, or even who they are... Are they some huge famous shop that started a program, or ?? I mean, I know what they are doing, I just don't know the calibration background of their authors. It's not like Gen3 and you do need the equation to generate coeff's unless you are running a different OF with virtual VE. If you are not, and the vehicle is not cammed, just calibrate the MAF, that will get you where you need to be.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I thought tuningdoctor was bill?? Maybe he'll chime in. I've seen him link it a bunch but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's him putting the info up...I just assumed it was.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I thought tuningdoctor was bill?? Maybe he'll chime in. I've seen him link it a bunch but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean it's him putting the info up...I just assumed it was.
    doh! I misread that, thought you were referring to the tuningschool peep, which I am not speaking badly of either, just saying I didn't know their background....

Yeah that is Bill, and I am sure that he knows what he is talking about.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Orion is probably referring to this how to http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...uningGuide.doc which is loosely based on the LS1/gen 3 SD tuning guide but made specifically for the E40 pcm. Guys, don't get confused with the E40, E38, E67 pcm's. The E40 has a real VE table therefore tuning the VE table shouldn't be difficult. Bluecats program isn't needed for this pcm. The E38/E67 pcm's however do not have your std VE table & rather use coefficient tables to ultimately create its own VE map and that E40 speed density tuning guide probably won't help you much in tuning E38/E67 pcm's. Anyways, I hope this clears up any confusion. -Bill
    Support for HPTuners

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by foff667 View Post
    Orion is probably referring to this how to http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTun...uningGuide.doc which is loosely based on the LS1/gen 3 SD tuning guide but made specifically for the E40 pcm. Guys, don't get confused with the E40, E38, E67 pcm's. The E40 has a real VE table therefore tuning the VE table shouldn't be difficult. Bluecats program isn't needed for this pcm. The E38/E67 pcm's however do not have your std VE table & rather use coefficient tables to ultimately create its own VE map and that E40 speed density tuning guide probably won't help you much in tuning E38/E67 pcm's. Anyways, I hope this clears up any confusion. -Bill
    thanks for chiming in Bill.. So that how to will get me ball park then? Looks very similar to the gen 3 stuff.
    What about this thread? http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19361

I think that's where I may have started getting the 2 confused. Looks like they were talking about both in that thread.
    The car I'm going to be working on is my brothers 06 GTO and it's just headers and cold air right now so it's not like it'll be way off to begin with. I just wanted to get a head start.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Bill, since I have your ear. Is there a way to zoom the 2D maf chart? I've tried everything I can think of but would love to have a zoomed look at it. I know the cursor follows the cells as you move down it in split view and that's extremely helpful but I sure would like to zoom in on that. I'm just a visual type person I guess.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

Bill, since I have your ear. Is there a way to zoom the 2D maf chart? I've tried everything I can think of but would love to have a zoomed look at it. I know the cursor follows the cells as you move down it in split view and that's extremely helpful but I sure would like to zoom in on that. I'm just a visual type person I guess.
    Not possible currently other than to maximize the window you are in.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

thanks for chiming in Bill.. So that how to will get me ball park then? Looks very similar to the gen 3 stuff.
    What about this thread? http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19361

I think that's where I may have started getting the 2 confused. Looks like they were talking about both in that thread.
    The car I'm going to be working on is my brothers 06 GTO and it's just headers and cold air right now so it's not like it'll be way off to begin with. I just wanted to get a head start.
    Dunno, the guide was simply made to help people get started...I think it was made back in 2006 sometime so take it fwiw. If someone wants to build or improve upon it feel free, I'm just here trying to help.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I misread from the beginning and somehow managed to glaze over it I think.

Orion I owe you an email from like 10 days ago, I'll get it out in a few minutes.

Thread Information