black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

diablo or vinci?

Hey yall. I'm thinking about getting a hand held programmer for my car, just don't know which one yet. I've got it narrowed down to the diablo or the vinci. Keep in mind I don't know alot about tuning. I really like both and I see the vinci has a cam section, does this mean if I get a cam long down the road that it will help with the install? Any opinions would help alot. I'm think I'm leaning towards the vinci... maybe. Does anyone know if I can get tunes downloaded over the internet with the vinci like you can with the diablo? Anyway opinions here would help out alot.
    Thanks
    '01 WS6 M6

Quicksilver Metallic
    2005 Pontiac GTO

Like you, I'm a novice tuner and I decided to go with the Diablo. Now I'm having a problem with it because I'm getting an error message whenever I try to get into the 'tuning' section to adjust my gear ratio, tire size etc. They have jerked me around for 16 days while they 'worked' on it. Now they come back and say that they see no problem and want me to call with the tuner and the car available. Problem is that their customer support line frequently has a 40-60 minute hold just to get someone and then you've gotta hope that you get the person who was 'helping' you previously otherwise you have to start over with them. I don't know about Vinci, but Diablo has sucked for me.

black
    95 supra

just get ls1 edit and you will have more capabilities with it and also gain more power with it

Coincidentally I am selling both of these tuners right now. Here is a link.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17756

I have had the Vinci tune on my car and loved it. The shift point settings and enhancements are excellent. The stock cam tune netted me .2 in the 1/4.

I cant speak for the predator but the reason I bought is was for correcting some shift problems I was having after my TC install. I decided to get the car dyno tuned instead and never even took the diablo out of the box.
    02 TA A4
    408ci - 244/250/612/622 | PRC 237 heads | FTRA |100mm lid | FAST92/92 | Kooks 1 7/8 | Hooker CB | DMH Cutout | built trans | Yank4000 | 412 motorsports tuned | stock rear:judge:

08 TBSS - Borla CB

Quote Originally Posted by tuningguru
    just get ls1 edit and you will have more capabilities with it and also gain more power with it
    I agree you have more capabilities but if you dont understand tuning stick with a handheld or have a reputable tuner dyno tune it.
    I drove 5 hrs to have Mikey at Rapid tune me this past weekend.
    If it werent for my TC problems the Vinci tune was pretty nice and I would have left it in.

black
    95 supra

what kind of tc problems did you have. Usually most guys dont have issues when installing a new tc. Just curious also what system are you using now.

black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I am leaning away for the computer for now. Think I'll get an slp lid and a short throw for now, my car is basically stock except for all the free mods and K&N. I think after that I'll go for some Loudmouth II exhaust, my friend has it and every time he hits it it makes me want to go in my pants,lol. I think after that I'll look into the tuning thing.
    Thanks for the help
    '01 WS6 DROP TOP

Quote Originally Posted by tuningguru
    what kind of tc problems did you have. Usually most guys dont have issues when installing a new tc. Just curious also what system are you using now.
    TCC lockup points and shift points. Dyno tuned.
    see here
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17848

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by speedaddict
    Hey yall. I'm thinking about getting a hand held programmer for my car, just don't know which one yet. I've got it narrowed down to the diablo or the vinci. Keep in mind I don't know alot about tuning. I really like both and I see the vinci has a cam section, does this mean if I get a cam long down the road that it will help with the install? Any opinions would help alot. I'm think I'm leaning towards the vinci... maybe. Does anyone know if I can get tunes downloaded over the internet with the vinci like you can with the diablo? Anyway opinions here would help out alot.
    Thanks
    '01 WS6 M6
    no, the tuner will not help with the install need some hand tools for that one. so, long as the cam matches the parameters that are described with the tuner, yes, it will tune it. no, you cannot get tunes downloaded into the vinci tuner. i use the vinci in both of my cars. here's a webpage i made up about it. http://www.stealthram.com/vhptuner.htm
    Last edited by mrr23; 04-26-2006 at 02:31 PM.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Blue Metalic Silver
    2001 Z28

Gents, I've tried two programers, the HPIII and the Predator. I actually went and had my 2001 Z28 DYNO tuned with my Predator. However, I was only slightly impressed by the Predator's ability to tune in on certain things that were different from the HP III,
    Like spark advance for max fuel and air mixture. Anyhow, with Headers, an SLP air box and a Magnaflow Catback System, my car only dynoed at 315 RWHP, and for some reason they could not get a torque reading, and there was a problem with getting my gear ratio dialed in which threw off my speedometer drastically. However, after a month long of waiting on tech help, the problem was finally figured out. Lastly, the HP III is simple tune which isn't bad, but I only recommend the Predator if you know someone experience with dyno tuning.
    Last edited by bluecamaro; 04-26-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Black
    2001 Ram Air

Vinci programmer

Vinci just did my valetrain and cam!!!!! They do great work!!! What they said about their programmer is that they run your car on the dyno and set up the programmer for your car not a generic tune you get from everybody else. Of course I live by their shop so thats easy for me. Can't afford the programmer yet after the performance work but even without the car is running great

Yellow w/ flames
    2004 GTO

Customer support for the Predator is the terrible. During the first year you may get responses but I have had mine since early 04. I have called, wrote, and slammed them with no results. Have not heard from them since December anything but RWTD.

Thread Information