diablo tuner question

This is a discussion on diablo tuner question within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i've read the stickies and done a search, still haven't found what i'm lookiin for. i have a 99 z ...

orange
    99 z28

diablo tuner question

i've read the stickies and done a search, still haven't found what i'm lookiin for. i have a 99 z with a small cam, intake, exhaust m6. will i be able to use the diablo for this? what exactly would it not do for me? also, will i be able to add nitrous and tune it with the diablo again in afew months? i'd really like hptuners, but i'm tryin to do things cheap, that and i wanna get rid of my damn ses light.

can i really adjust the a/f and all that with diablo? also, i've heard you can get better tunes from the maker but have never heard how or why??

thanks in advance guys

orange
    99 z28

well i just ordered it 369.99 w/ shipping and free pc interface kit
    way too much bs out there on tuning! someone should write a tutorial!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Orange99z28 View Post
    well i just ordered it 369.99 w/ shipping and free pc interface kit
    way too much bs out there on tuning! someone should write a tutorial!

holy s#%$ that's a lot of money!!! A mailorder tune is tailored for your specific setup and costs like 125-150... and with a cam you have a better shot of getting it right with a mail order too.

370 bucks you damn-near could have bought a full tuning suite... for $500 you could get HPTuners and it's loaded with enough credits from the get-go to have real time tuning for your car on your stock PCM as well...

orange
    99 z28

yea but i have no labtop, no odbII cable, just my car and my computer. and it looked like everone who sells anything for these cars is interested in one thing...money.
    150 for tune + 150 for cables and i can't change anything. I'm planning on gettin a decent tune for free from diablo's support site, then being able to change everything to my preference. I also found out i can alter whatever tune i get - even if i go get it dynoed and tuned with hptuners

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

yea but i have no labtop, no odbII cable, just my car and my computer. and it looked like everone who sells anything for these cars is interested in one thing...money.
    150 for tune + 150 for cables and i can't change anything. I'm planning on gettin a decent tune for free from diablo's support site, then being able to change everything to my preference. I also found out i can alter whatever tune i get - even if i go get it dynoed and tuned with hptuners
    Don't know where you got the 300 for a mailorder from, but you need no cable... that's really all it costs. I'm not a sponsor and this is NOT a solicitation (I am not linking my website) but I charge $125 for a mail order tune plus shipping for the PCM. That's it. I will also make unlimited changes for 60 days afterward, you just pay shipping. This guarantee is mostly used by guys that have extreme H/C setups with stalled autos but don't want to actually get them tuned on a dyno. No one-shot tune for such a setup will ever be perfect. The reason that I am telling you this is that I am not unique, and tons of other shops/tuners will have rates that fall in line with this as well. There are TONS AND TONS of things that you CANNOT change with the handheld. There are others that you can change, but they are totally worthless the way that they give them to you.

For instance, a mail order gets you a full customized spark table, all you can do with the handheld is jack the whole damn table up or down. It's nuts; it's like needing an apendectomy and the surgeon brings a giant diamond bladed concrete saw in to use.

Of course people who sell things are intrested in money, that's why they are selling things. Go browse the vette forums if you think f-body stuff is costly.

I'm sorry, those handhelds just cost up the butt and they are severely limited.

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Don't know where you got the 300 for a mailorder from, but you need no cable... that's really all it costs. I'm not a sponsor and this is NOT a solicitation (I am not linking my website) but I charge $125 for a mail order tune plus shipping for the PCM. That's it. I will also make unlimited changes for 60 days afterward, you just pay shipping. This guarantee is mostly used by guys that have extreme H/C setups with stalled autos but don't want to actually get them tuned on a dyno. No one-shot tune for such a setup will ever be perfect. The reason that I am telling you this is that I am not unique, and tons of other shops/tuners will have rates that fall in line with this as well. There are TONS AND TONS of things that you CANNOT change with the handheld. There are others that you can change, but they are totally worthless the way that they give them to you.

For instance, a mail order gets you a full customized spark table, all you can do with the handheld is jack the whole damn table up or down. It's nuts; it's like needing an apendectomy and the surgeon brings a giant diamond bladed concrete saw in to use.

Of course people who sell things are intrested in money, that's why they are selling things. Go browse the vette forums if you think f-body stuff is costly.

I'm sorry, those handhelds just cost up the butt and they are severely limited.
    He is right U are going to have to contack Diablosport to get them to write you a tune now, you can't tune it with the "stock" diablosport, you will have to call them and get them to write you a tune to your e-mail and download it to your handheld.....I would have recommended hptuners too...SEND IT BACK AND GET A mail order tune from someone else....my .02 worth, because diablo wants another $100 or so for a custom tune.....

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

Im selling my diablo PM me if interested

i've read the stickies and done a search, still haven't found what i'm lookiin for. i have a 99 z with a small cam, intake, exhaust m6. will i be able to use the diablo for this? what exactly would it not do for me? also, will i be able to add nitrous and tune it with the diablo again in afew months? i'd really like hptuners, but i'm tryin to do things cheap, that and i wanna get rid of my damn ses light.

can i really adjust the a/f and all that with diablo? also, i've heard you can get better tunes from the maker but have never heard how or why??

thanks in advance guys
    Ugh,,,,doing things cheap and trying to go fast at the same time usually doesn't mix too well.
    Sorry to hear you went with Diablo,,,,,I have to agree with others here,,,,Hptuner is the way to go,,,even if it cost a little more. For what you paid you were nearly at the cost of tuning software. For $500 you get the cable you need as well,,,and as many chances to tune the car as your fingers can stand to type.
    Many more options with HPtuner, more so than just tuning fuel and timing. You can tailor the car to exactly how you want it to drive in all aspects. Not to mention all the diagnostic capabilities you have to trouble shoot the car when problems arrise,,,and trust me they will. No more need to take it to a shop and pay huge diagnostic fees.
    In my opinion,,,if you are going to own one of these computer controlled cars, then tuning software is a must have and the first modification money I would spend on one hands down. Hope the Diablo works out for you though.

orange
    99 z28

looking at it now, maybe i should have gotten hptuners. i'll buy it sometime down the road.

i'm just happy to have no ses light, and i actually can do a lot with it. my injector slope is right now, and wot is looking good aside from a bit of knock retard that i have to figure out...

i wish hptuners wasn't 500 though...a bit much for some software if you ask me...

i'm currently looking for a way to hack diablos tune (everything is changeable, just not for the end user) or better yet...stumble...on some of thier own software

i can actually view and delete the codes for the ses light
    and monitor almost anything real time(digital camera's a bit ghetto but it works for logging)

if anyones got any info on the files predator uses i'd love some insight! (encyption etc)

orange
    99 z28

oh, another thing, one shot tunes scare the crap out of me. i've been screwed over before, and being able to monitor everything i do and see what difference the tweaks i make do is awesome. i seriously doubt i could get a better tune without being on a dyno.

if i can get within 5 or 10% of perfect thats better than risking blowing my motor up cause someone who doesn't know everything about my car fudged a few details in their tune. and i really don't like the idea of pulling the pcm, i was scared just hooking up a fan switch to it

i will buy hptuners eventually, its just not affordable at the moment, but hey i'll take a job if anyone wants to hook me up with a good one lol

Thread Information