Black
    2001 Trans Am

Diablo Predator tuning

what settings have the diablo guys noticed helping the most, mainly guys with bolt upgrades that is, and other than the obvious like decreased shift times?

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

I'm assuming by "helping the most" you mean settings that result in noticible increases in power and performance.

Unfortunately there's no silver bullet here. Depending on your car's modifications, the condition of the engine, your environment, etc, your car might benefit from increased or decreased timing, or increased or decreased fuel mixture. The best way to ascertain this is to do a "dyno tune" and/or wideband O2 sensor tuning.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Any other Diablo users out there? I am considering that to help my Hooker LT and ORY and as a tuning aid also. How about a wide band O2 sensor and the Diablo?

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

If you want to use wide band O2 sensors, you will need something to attach them to, and you need a data logger. Unfortunately the Diablo cannot do this.

If you want to get into your own wide band O2 tuning, you can purchase JET's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner, MXScan, and connect the wide band O2 sensors to the OBD2 interface module that comes with the Dynamic Spectrum Tuner. But you're looking at about $800 investment.

Money-wise you're probably better off bringing your car to a dyno shop, some will let you use their dyno by yourself for as little as $100. But for that money you need to know what you're doing (e.g. how to read the dyno sheets, etc).

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TrifectaPerformance View Post
    If you want to use wide band O2 sensors, you will need something to attach them to, and you need a data logger. Unfortunately the Diablo cannot do this.

If you want to get into your own wide band O2 tuning, you can purchase JET's Dynamic Spectrum Tuner, MXScan, and connect the wide band O2 sensors to the OBD2 interface module that comes with the Dynamic Spectrum Tuner. But you're looking at about $800 investment.

Money-wise you're probably better off bringing your car to a dyno shop, some will let you use their dyno by yourself for as little as $100. But for that money you need to know what you're doing (e.g. how to read the dyno sheets, etc).

I was thinking with the AEM wide band and dash gauge it comes with, I could watch the Air/Fuel ratio as I am driving. Especially under full throttle. Then, I could lean the mixture to where I wanted it with the Diablo. Will the Diablo be able to do this? After leaning the mix with the Diablo, then drive a few more times or days and see what the wide-band shows. Then do more fine tuning. Has anyone used the Diablo that way? I understand for best power and engine safety the ratio should be around 13.5-1. That way you wouldn't need the data logger, I am thinking. Anybody else have ideas?

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

At WOT you want closer to 13.0:1. That's what the dyno shop I go to tunes to, anyway.

The problem is your fuel mixture can change very quickly as your engine revs. A good data logger can log several times a second. If the AEM unit samples quick enough, and you video record your AEM's dash unit along with your tachometer you *might* be able to tune your car this way. You will need to know what your AFR all across the RPM range. Still, this approach isn't nearly as accurate as using a datalogger is.

I personally haven't used a Diablo but I understand they allow you to do some fine-tuning to the AFR.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks, Trifecta. This info does help.

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

The Innovate LM-1 WBO2 is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. It will even record your AFR during a run so you don't have to stare at a guage while going 100+ mph.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by SSpdDmon View Post
    The Innovate LM-1 WBO2 is relatively inexpensive and easy to install. It will even record your AFR during a run so you don't have to stare at a guage while going 100+ mph.
    So, you have the one without the gauge, right? The one you have is $350? I checked a couple different websites and it looks like that is it. After you are done driving you download your data to the pc and check it? Also, they have the stand-alone with a gauge for 300. I guess I am wondering if I should get something like this (and a Pedator) instead of going for a dyno tune.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Get the dyno tune! You will be far happier with the dyno tune results.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

I agree, but it does depend on what Too Fast's goal is. The more this thread goes on the more is sounds like Too Fast wants to learn how to do their own tuning.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Doing your own tuning with a handheld tune is unrealistic. You really need a program like Tunercat or LS1 Edit. Tuning is not something you can just pickup, there is a pretty steep learning curve.

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

I certainly agree with that. You really need a program like Tunercat or LS1 Edit, AND a dyno if you want to do your own tuning. ;-) Although I understand tuning with wideband O2 sensors can work equally as well - I haven't actually tried that yet.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, I am interested on doing my own tuning, mostly for WOT, but if I need a laptop I am screwed. No laptop here. I am wondering about the cost of getting a WB O2 sensor and then tuning with a Predator, vs a dyno tune. The dyno tune place will be able to turn off my codes? I know the Predator will turn off codes and a lot more. My first check on somebody doing a dyno tune was less than inspiring, people here thought it was overpriced. Read my thread titled SLP Headers. Y'all gave me good advice to avoid those, so I bought Hookers, and I like 'em. I know a Predator won't tune like LS1 edit or similar.

My car has run a best so far of 13.17 with a missed shift into 4th. (Damn, that run was close.) My goal this winter is to make it into the 12s on most nites. Usually I am running 13.20s to 13.50s @ 104-107.5 with 60' 1.98 to 2.10, street tires.

I guess I am finding out that I need to do a dyno tune or get really advanced with LS1 edit or similar. I don't think I have any more changes in store for my car, maybe a 4.10 rear but that would probably be about it. I do like the 25 to 27 MPG I get now, with AC on at 75-80 MPH. (Haven't checked it yet on the highway with the headers, but one trip to Kentucky seemed to be similar MPG.)

White
    1999 Camaro Z28 Conv.

The dyno shop should be able to disable the trouble codes. AFAIK all of the LS1 tuning packages allow that, one of which the dyno shop would be using.

To be honest with you the LS1s are tuned very well from the factory. I put my 1999 Z28 on the dyno a few weeks ago and was only able to get another 5 HP out of it tuning it with JET's LS1 tuner software, on a dyno, with wideband AFR monitoring. The factory tune is pretty darned good.

But, I'm also running a totally stock car. My friend brought his Corvette to the dyno, which had a factory tune and aftermarket exhaust, and we picked up about 4 HP by tuning his WOT AFR (it was on the rich side).

What all has been done to your car?

SOM
    '01 Camaro SS

I would get the LM-1 and then save up for a software package (ie EFI Live). If you want to be able to tune AFR in the mean time, look for a MAF translator in the for sale sections of the LS1 boards. They are somewhat primative, but they do work.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by TrifectaPerformance View Post
    The dyno shop should be able to disable the trouble codes. AFAIK all of the LS1 tuning packages allow that, one of which the dyno shop would be using.

To be honest with you the LS1s are tuned very well from the factory. I put my 1999 Z28 on the dyno a few weeks ago and was only able to get another 5 HP out of it tuning it with JET's LS1 tuner software, on a dyno, with wideband AFR monitoring. The factory tune is pretty darned good.

But, I'm also running a totally stock car. My friend brought his Corvette to the dyno, which had a factory tune and aftermarket exhaust, and we picked up about 4 HP by tuning his WOT AFR (it was on the rich side).

What all has been done to your car?
    My car was stock before the Hooker LT ceramic coated and ORY. And now EGR delete and AIR delete. Except for a lid and hood de-baffle.

I agree they are tuned good at the factory. When I see people say you must get them tuned after headers because the car will now run so rich, I am now thinking that you will get 5-15 HP over the factory tune, regardless of exhaust upgrades. I understand these cars run rich anyway, to help against detonation, under WOT. Saves GM some warranty $$$. So, I do have a few months until Spring to get this all figured out. I am anxious for March to get here, that is when our track reopens.

Thread Information