is computer on 98 hard to tune vs 99 and up

This is a discussion on is computer on 98 hard to tune vs 99 and up within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; i am looking at vehicles right to purchase and i have heard that i should get a 99 or up ...

is computer on 98 hard to tune vs 99 and up

i am looking at vehicles right to purchase and i have heard that i should get a 99 or up LS1 F body because the computers are easier to tune with mods, what have your guys experience been with 98's and tuning them do you think this is that big of an issue. i am looking to install a turbo at some point and want the easiest possible car to tune. thanks for help.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

98 - 02 about the same 01-02 got ls6 manifold.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The 98 ECM's are different than the 99's and up. The wiring is different and the computers have different processors. It's not that the 99's and up are easier to tune I think it's just they have a little better ECM.....

Red
    1998 T/A

'98's have a modified lt1 computer, whereas the 99's and up have an ls1 only computer.

99 Firebird Formula

It's not a 'modded' LT1 computer, there is no such thing.

The computer is just different, pinout wise. It's not worse/harder to tune, it just requires 98 specific software.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

The computers are definitely different in the 98 models compared to the 99-02 cars.

In fact, I took my car to the dealer this morning to get the computer reflashed for the 4.10 gears and 17" wheels. After about 20 minutes, they drove my car around front and told me they couldn't do anything with it

I guess I'll have to buy a Hypertech programmer for $300 and try to reprogram it that way

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    The computers are definitely different in the 98 models compared to the 99-02 cars.

In fact, I took my car to the dealer this morning to get the computer reflashed for the 4.10 gears and 17" wheels. After about 20 minutes, they drove my car around front and told me they couldn't do anything with it

I guess I'll have to buy a Hypertech programmer for $300 and try to reprogram it that way
    Yep that sounds like a dealership for you.....I guess we cant expect that much from those guys.....you can spend $450 and get LS1 edit and be able to do just about anything you like with it....Future upgrades and such....Hypertech's are pretty user friendly but I just didn't like the fact that you'd have to send the unit back to them so they could program them and then there was never any guarantee it'd be correct and if it wasn't you'd have to send it back resulting in downtime.........check out some of the LS1 tuner programs out there and think about those instead.......

ToplessTexan
    Quote Originally Posted by cannotbeheldliable
    i am looking at vehicles right to purchase and i have heard that i should get a 99 or up LS1 F body because the computers are easier to tune with mods, what have your guys experience been with 98's and tuning them do you think this is that big of an issue. i am looking to install a turbo at some point and want the easiest possible car to tune. thanks for help.
    If you are looking at FI, then think twice about a '98. There are better options for 2/3 bar tuning for later years than for the early PCMs. The 97/98 C5 fuel system is a little better (FPR on the rail with a return line) but that's easy enough to swap to a later year car. Swapping in a later PCM is much more involved.

White
    98 Z28

I have a 98 Z28 and when I had the motor rebuilt they tuned my car on a dyno and an engineering place. I now need to have it retuned and heard that I would be better off buying a programmer myself. Any suggestions? Also have a questions concerning my speedo. I currently had a new rearend put into the car, I was told I can change the speedo in the trans, but the rearend guy told me that when I have it tuned they will fix the speedo. Trans or not?

ToplessTexan
    I like EFILive's FlashScan. You can fix your speedo via tuning.

Hay From Karlos123

have a nice deal.

Thread Information