Buggy Build

This is a discussion on Buggy Build within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I am trying to adapt a new LS1 into a desert buggy for mild racing and driving around Baja. The ...

Steel
    2007 Desert Dynamics

Question Buggy Build

I am trying to adapt a new LS1 into a desert buggy for mild racing and driving around Baja. The car will have a 5 speed transaxle.

The ecu LS1 Automatic Street Rod Calibration-1st Version Part# 12480122 with harness 6200 RPM fuel cut-off Date 4-24-01

The engine that came with the package is a new GM proformance LS1 that has a LS6 block casting #12561168, 241 casting number heads, and a LS6 intake .

My questions are:

Can I get the computer to work well with out a speed sensor? I can do wheel a speed sensor off one of the CV joints, but I don't think it would match up with what the computer wants.

Is there anything special I need to do to reverse the intake manifold?

Why does the oil pressure sending unit have 3 pins out?

Thanks
    Last edited by kajmcbride; 08-19-2009 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

why get it with an auto calibration instead of manual?

You need a VSS. It doesn't need to be right, but the PCM needs to see you moving or you will be stuck in idle timing tables.

Steel
    2007 Desert Dynamics

Thanks that makes sense about the speed sensor. I bought the engine and computer second hand and thats how it came.
    I want to use the stock computer and wiring harness to save some money and get better performance. I heard that the Delphi MEFI units do not compensate for changes in elevation as well as the stock unit.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It is MUCH better than MEFI. The oil pressure sensor goes to a dash light, not the PCM. I think it may trigger both a light and feed the gauge.

If you need to get it setup as a manual and don't have a local tuner, I can do it cheaply for you. For $125 you can get a full performance based calibration that is aimed at making the OEM PCM totally standalone. It will let you use the check-engine output to effectively tell you when you have a real problem as opposed to it being on all the time (it misses the emissions bits ).

Either way, if you have any other questions, feel free to post or to send me a PM if I can help.

Thread Information