Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bosch Platinum +4's bad for My SS ?

This is a discussion on Bosch Platinum +4's bad for My SS ? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; has anybody had any experience with Denso plugs?...

silver
    2002 TA WS6 A4-Vert

Denso Plugs

has anybody had any experience with Denso plugs?

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

I have owned a shop for 8 years. ANY Bosch platinum plugs, in any make vehicle suck. We have seen it all, heard it all, done it all. Some cars won't even run with them.

Midnight Blue Metallic
    05 GTO

Denso is the OE Toyota plug. I only use them in Toyotas but they seem to be ok. I think NDenso makes Accel plugs also.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I use NGK's now, but before that my car had the platinum +4's in them and I didn't have any problems. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with platinum 4 plugs, they're just a waste of money when a plug that's half the price will give the same performance.
    On our cars, the original plugs are iridium plugs made by AC Delco. I've heard you don't want to use platinum plugs with nitrous, but I don't know if there's any truth to that or not.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

gold
    1998 trans am

guys i have used the +4's for 13k miles now and no issues. i have run ngk ,delco, and densos. the car did not care what i was using, the reason i stopped using the oem plug was that platinum tip would come off. and the ngk's just wore out too fast. i hate replacing plugs every time i turn around. the +4's use a solid platinum electrode so nothing can liberate. i have heard everything said on this thread and i agree that there are issues with certain plugs in certain cars. but there isnt any technical reason for it. everyones engine responds a little differently to mods, we all know this. one has to make that decision for themselves and not be led by good or bad press. hell everyone says to change oils at 3k and i always change mine at 7500 miles, my engine is still running great. check my sig if there are any doubts.

all i am trying to say is there is no right or wrong, only what works best for your engine. so good luck with what ever you choose. i have not had any problems with them.
    1998 Gold T/A 1 of 235 built, 3.08 moser 12 bolt, k&n filter, TB mod, egr mod, Lingenfelter 3.5" alum ds, Pcv oil catch can, BMR Lca's, Bilstein HD Shocks, Poly Sway Bar bushings, Full Ram Air Hood, optima red top, 220000 +miles ,never been to track Currently motor and tranny being rebuilt

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Thought OEM plugs were AC Delco Iridium plugs? How would the platinum tip just come off? I think that would mean some combustion issues inside the chamber if it was blowing the tips off the plugs...

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

I have put NGK plugs in my car ever since i have owned it and never had a problem. I have heard both good and bad things about the Bosch Platinums but the reason i have stayed away from them is because of $. What people do not understand is that the plug is going to fire to only 1 of the electrodes and not all 4. Commercials show the Bosch firing on all 4 and some consumers think "holy shnikees that will give me like an extra 15 Hp" and i have really heard that too!! The truth is the only way the Platinum 4 would work is if the electrodes were gaped PERFECT, which is impossible. IMO great false advertising and a waste of money.
    99 Trans Am M6
    SLP lid/FRA/TBB/Comp 224/224 581/581 112LSA
    Comp 918s/Comp PRs/Hedman TorkStep LTs
    Custom Y/Exhaust/Pro 5.0

gold
    1998 trans am

jimbo98z
    the 98 ta's did not come with the iridium plugs, or at least mine didnt, just the standard platinum plug. that plug was made of a copper core with a platinum disc at the tip. so it really wasnt a true platinum plug. when i changed them out at around 75k a couple had the discs missing. thats when i went to ngk. which are good but i had to change them more often, and since this is a daily driver and i put a lot of miles on i went back to the platinum. the reason i didnt go with the plus 2's was a friend of mine at work had just put a set in his truck and it would skip all the time. so i tried the +4's. like i said previous not everything works the same in all cars. the +4's appear to working ok in my car.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

The oem plugs were platinum tip plugs. The irdium plugs weren't out then.

Black
    2001 Ram Air

spark plugs

Just read all the previous pages trying to decide on plug change before the Power Tour. These are my experiences, the GM plug is Platinum tipped which after time does come away from copper electrode there by changing your gap and loosing the platinum benefit. I have run the Bosch Plat +4 and got a lot of pinging under full throttle, now running NGK TR55GP (platinum), pinging under full throttle is less but still there. I think this time It will be the regular TR55's. This seems to be the popular choice.

Red
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    I don't use them because I heard that my brother's wife's cousin's grandfather's best friend's grandson's next door neighbor knew a guy that worked with him said that they were no good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information