Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Best tuning option??

Hey guys,
    I need to get my 98 Z tuned... I seem to be running rich for what i can tell.

I am new to the tuning section...
    Should I go with something like EFI live and try to tune it myself or take it to someone to tune or send my PCM out to be flashed?
    What are the pros and cons of my options?

Thanks.

98 Ticket Red Z28
    Mods:
    Front/rear sway bars, poly bushings all around, Bilstein Shocks, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" Custom True Duals over the axle with Magnaflow mufflers, Shortened Pro 5.0 shifter, TurnOne PS pump.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

any of those options would work for you really...it just depends on what route would work for you best. I would recommend hptuners if you were going to buy your own suite though. At $125 it's hard to beat a mail order tune from Frost and he'd be able to hook you up pretty nicely.

Where at in central OH? I'm out in Lancaster.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    any of those options would work for you really...it just depends on what route would work for you best. I would recommend hptuners if you were going to buy your own suite though. At $125 it's hard to beat a mail order tune from Frost and he'd be able to hook you up pretty nicely.

Where at in central OH? I'm out in Lancaster.

I am in Powell, northwest Columbus.

What is the how difficult is the HPtuners to learn and setup yourself?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by raysz28 View Post
    I am in Powell, northwest Columbus.

there's definitely a learning curve there but as long as you have some computer knowledge, car knowledge, and are willing to spend the time reading it can be done. There's so much info on the boards that it takes a lot of reading to weed through it all. It would also be a good idea to buy a wideband too.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I found an excellent step by step write-up on how to tune with HPtuners. I printed it off and hope to try it out this summer.
    Otherwise I second how easy and awesome a mail order tune from Frost is!!

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

Whats the difference between the HPtuner and EFI live?
    Can I use them on multiple cars (other than LS1s)?
    How much do the programs cost?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

They essentially do the same thing and both are excellent programs. I think they both cost about the same. I paid $650 for HPtuners Pro. You can basically tune any GM car or truck from about 1997 to current. There are a few cars/truck here and there aren't supported. It comes with 8 credits and it usually take 2 credits per car (about $100) to tune it.

1999 WS6(sold) 2003 Cobra

I wonder how hard it is to take your PCM out of your car? I'm new to the tuning thing too and i've been thinking about it as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Whats the difference between the HPtuner and EFI live?
    Can I use them on multiple cars (other than LS1s)?
    How much do the programs cost?
    the biggest difference IMO is the support. In the car world there are considerably more hptuner uses than efilive so there are more people to answer your questions. It's exactly opposite in the GM diesel world.....efilive dominates that market.
    Yes, you can use them on different cars. Both of their sites has a "vehicles supported" list you can look at.
    Hptuners is $649 for the pro and efilive is $799

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by natews6 View Post
    I wonder how hard it is to take your PCM out of your car? I'm new to the tuning thing too and i've been thinking about it as well.
    I've never had mine out to answer this question but it can't be that tough...couple of bolts and 2 plugs.

Fire
    2002 SS

how difficult is the HPtuners to learn and setup yourself?
    I paid $499 for my EFI-Live. Unless you have significant time and resources to invest -buying software is a huge waste of money. It gives you access to things most of us will never question. Unless you are in the business and can attend training, and have direct access to a dyno, and want to buy a install a pricey wideband, you would only use it for basics. A mail-order tune or tune by local shop would be a better investment.

Your tuning question has to do with a maintenance issue -a free code read at the auto parts store can help fix that. After you fix your service issue, a mail-order tune to turn off CAGS & VATS, change speed limiters, speedo adjustment if you changed rear gears, transmission shifts and a few other small things can really improve your perception of driveability, and sometimes even improve performance.

Ticket Red
    M6 1998 Z-28

So still weighing my options here...
    Whats a dyno tune typically cost?
    Do you know any trustworthy tuners/dyno tuners in north west Columbus Ohio?

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Frost and you wont be disappointed.

black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

One option......Frost!

09 Vulcan 900 custom.
    2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
    1998 Z/28 Hardtop A4 | Y2K wheels | SLP Lid | Magnaflow catback |cutout | Hotchkis LCA'S/PHB | BMR TA and D/S Loop| Tuned by Frost....300rwhp/308rwtq

97 Cobra- bolt ons | full exhaust| 4.30's| suspension | SCT tune- sold!

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

I know this is an old thread...but I have been looking through a lot of tuning threads...and i havent seen the answer to my question.

But If I have had my car tuned by someone with HPtuners, can someone else who also has HPtuners tune my car without paying for the credits again as it should be locked in by vin if i understand correctly.

Or is the credits to my car locked in to someones specific license to HPtuners or something?

Thanks

Black
    99 Silverado

It is locked to the specific cable...

GM EFI Tuner
    2002 Trans Am WS6 - 9.41@143mph, #3675, on pump gas and drag radials - sold

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by bryceslu View Post
    I know this is an old thread...but I have been looking through a lot of tuning threads...and i havent seen the answer to my question.

But If I have had my car tuned by someone with HPtuners, can someone else who also has HPtuners tune my car without paying for the credits again as it should be locked in by vin if i understand correctly.

Or is the credits to my car locked in to someones specific license to HPtuners or something?

Thanks
    No,

unless they are a shop with an unlimited license, each separate user that programs it must first license it. THEY use the HPTuner's license, not the PCM.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    No,

unless they are a shop with an unlimited license, each separate user that programs it must first license it. THEY use the HPTuner's license, not the PCM.
    Damn. ok just wondering if I have to go back to the same guy...not that I wouldnt want to, but If I leave the area or something.

Thanks Frost.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I would think hard about whether I'd use a tuner who was still on credits for LS1 cars... he only has to tune a few of your year to unlock it. Either he is just charging for something that isn't real or he likely has not had the kind of experience that most would want their tuners to have.

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I would think hard about whether I'd use a tuner who was still on credits for LS1 cars... he only has to tune a few of your year to unlock it. Either he is just charging for something that isn't real or he likely has not had the kind of experience that most would want their tuners to have.
    As much as he tunes he probably has unlocked that year/make. I will have to ask him next time I talk to him.

So If he does have my year/make unlocked does that mean I would be able to take it to another tuner? Or did you mean another tuner who would have it unlocked would technically not have to pay for the credits?

Part of the reason I was also trying to figure this out was If I got HPtuners for myself would I be able to use my car or would I have to use credits on mine again.
    Last edited by bryceslu; 08-15-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information