Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Average cost of a tune?

This is a discussion on Average cost of a tune? within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by Firebirdjones My bone stock 02 SS convertable picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph with only some ...

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    My bone stock 02 SS convertable picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph with only some very basic tuning. After buying HPtuner and not knowing how to use it,,,,I only made some very simple VE tuning and MAF tuning,,,a little timing etc....doing this all with LTFT's No wide band at all,,,,and really haven't even touched the PE tables (just for that reason) and the car was like night and day. Went from 13.70's at 101 mph to 13.40's at 104 mph just playing around with the tune a little. I'd say I already got my moneys worth from HP tuner.
    Keep in mind that my factory tune was not that great,,,,datalogging on the car was the first thing I learned and the Fuel trims were all over the place,,,and mostly in the +10 range,,,then after driving a while the right bank fuel trims would turn red and just lock out. This thing had a terrible stock tune,,,running very lean just cruising around. After dialing in the VE tables both banks of the fuel trims looked pretty even and didn't turn red anymore. Car actually drove perfectly though with stock tune,,,you couldn't tell things were out of wack.
    Now the modding has begun and I should see much more benifit.

That's good news but is not the norm for a 6-speed car that is stock. I have tuned several on the dyno (against my own advice to the customer) that only picked up 5-10rwhp, and it was work to get the numbers out and not have the timing too high for the real world. I have seen one or two that picked up 15 or so, but it's just not the norm for a bone stock car.
    Last edited by Frost; 12-09-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Wheres the best place to buy the HP tuner? Do you have to order by make model year or can you do any car with it. My boy has a 94 camaro. I have a 02 TA.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by 1st TA View Post
    Wheres the best place to buy the HP tuner? Do you have to order by make model year or can you do any car with it. My boy has a 94 camaro. I have a 02 TA.
    That 94 is unsupported. Look at Tunercat for the 94.
    Last edited by Frost; 12-09-2007 at 09:03 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information