Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    02 WS-6 w/ Ram Air

Average cost of a tune?

Just would like to know what I could expect to pay for a tune on my WS-6? Its stock but I have read that you can still make some gains. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I asked this question over a year ago, then the answer was $400 on up. Assuming a wide band O2.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

10 RWHP.
    $400 is on the low end for a shop to do it.
    $550 is probably closer to average.

I wouldn't bother to be honest, not at least until you have a few mods on it.

metallic pewter
    2001 WS.6 Trans Am

local shop here charges $125/hr with a $125 min.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    10 RWHP.
    $400 is on the low end for a shop to do it.
    $550 is probably closer to average.

I wouldn't bother to be honest, not at least until you have a few mods on it.
    I am guessing thats a full dyno tune. A street tune would run u about $250-300. I agree with luos, dont bother untill u have all the bolt ons or a h/c, then u will make the most out of ur setup

SlamminGears

Black
    01 TransAm WS6

I agree with above. Wait for some upgrades. But to answer your question a local shop here quoted me a max of $600 for a full dyno tune. They said they would need my car all day to get the most out of it.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

While were on the subjet, how many horses can u pick up from a tune after all the bolt ons are installed?

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

I got my speed density done for $175 from a local tuner who's tuned about every built f-body around. I got a street tune though. i prefer it just cause of the fact that its tuned according to how I drive it.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    While were on the subjet, how many horses can u pick up from a tune after all the bolt ons are installed?
    15-20 RWHP with bolt-ons....over the stock tune.
    Some of it depends on the tuner, and how conservative you have them tune it.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

just buy HPTuners for $500 bucks and enjoy the only mod that will grow with your car. my car has a 3" cutout and a lid - other than that, it is completely stock... well, plugs and wires, debaffled hood, subframe connectors.... but the engine is not modded.

i went 13.2@105 4x in a row my first time to the strip in this car with just a rudimentary tune, and the best part is that I now have discovered the joys of tuning VE and MAF tables - even more power!

Long story short - grow some balls and get HPTuners, as you learn to use it you will learn more about modding, the way the car works...etc and plus as a tuner who gives a shit about your car, you will eventually be able to do better than the pros because they don't. plain and simple.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

IMO, I wouldnt do it yourself. Although it is very cool to do things yourself, you can really mess some stuff up and end up paying again to get it fixed. I would wait untill your done modding your engine, get a full dyno tune and leave it at that. Research your shops first, ask if they have a GM guy or have tuned a few. Most guys are really cool and never really diss your car. They want the most out it too, they like seeing how much they can pull out. And once you buy a full tune(usually about $550) its only like $30-$40 to do adjustsments afterwards or if they are really cool, they may just do it for free. I like the fact of it being done a dyno bcause you know right away when gains are made and if everything is good.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    IMO, I wouldnt do it yourself. Although it is very cool to do things yourself, you can really mess some stuff up and end up paying again to get it fixed. I would wait untill your done modding your engine, get a full dyno tune and leave it at that. Research your shops first, ask if they have a GM guy or have tuned a few. Most guys are really cool and never really diss your car. They want the most out it too, they like seeing how much they can pull out. And once you buy a full tune(usually about $550) its only like $30-$40 to do adjustsments afterwards or if they are really cool, they may just do it for free. I like the fact of it being done a dyno bcause you know right away when gains are made and if everything is good.
    on my old car, I had a tune done but it was a few years before I did my gear swap - the guys agreed to do adjustments at the time of the tune for free and then said that the gear adjustment would be $125 and a few other little things I had been wanting would also add up, grand total of $375. I spent the extra money to just do it myself, and when that car was wrecked it was free to tune my new car. if you read and look at other peoples' tunes in the repository and get a solid grasp of what you are doing you do not have to run the risk of having a problem!! the HPTuners crew provides an amazing amount of support for their product and if I can figure it out, anybody can!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    I agree with Richard,,,,I jumped into the HPtuner software and I hate computers. But with support you can figure it out. The abilities are endless,,,and the satisfaction of tuning your own car and making your own changes as necessary at your own convenience makes it worthwhile. Not to mention you can scan anytime you want, and diagnose any check engine lights you may have and exactly find the problem before you spend a dime buying parts and chasing the problem.
    I truely believe now that it's the first modification anyone should do for any computer controlled car before any money is spent on bolt on crap.

I am not computer savy, believing that computers belong on a desk and not in a car,,,but if you want to play you have to jump in and learn.

Besides, something I have brought up before that bugs the hell out of me,,,but for some reason doesn't seem to bother anyone else "shrug",,,,,is the fact that tuners will lock your computer so it can't be tampered with. If they go out of business (and some do) or you move away where it's no longer convenient to go back,,,,your screwed,,,you have to have them unlock the computer, go back to the stock tune and find someone else,,,and start over again,,,,NO THANKS!

Also if you plan to sell the car,,,what about the purchaser,,,now they are stuck with whoever the previous owner was dealing with,,,if it's even possible. New buyers should be aware of this, buying a car with a locked computer and finding out later when more mods are done can be a real kick in the pants.
    Buy the software and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Tuning is still pretty straight forward, Most anything we did to the old carb cars still works on this fuel injection stuff,,,,you just have to find the right tables to make your adjustments,,, Just my thoughts on it.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    just buy HPTuners for $500 bucks and enjoy the only mod that will grow with your car. my car has a 3" cutout and a lid - other than that, it is completely stock... well, plugs and wires, debaffled hood, subframe connectors.... but the engine is not modded.

i went 13.2@105 4x in a row my first time to the strip in this car with just a rudimentary tune, and the best part is that I now have discovered the joys of tuning VE and MAF tables - even more power!

Long story short - grow some balls and get HPTuners, as you learn to use it you will learn more about modding, the way the car works...etc and plus as a tuner who gives a shit about your car, you will eventually be able to do better than the pros because they don't. plain and simple.
    You obviously dont know much about tuning do you...

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    You obviously dont know much about tuning do you...
    Huh? Why would you say that to Richard? He brings up a valid point.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Costs about $650 here for a full dyno tune, but its by one of the better tuners across the country.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Bone stock cars just don't benefit very much from a tune... unless they are an automatic. In which case, a "basic tune" (off dyno) or a mailorder tune is a better fit and is typically under $200.

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

my tune was 300 with liftime tunes.
    hptuners btw with wideband 02

Black
    2005 GTO

Paid $450 for a full dyno tune, originally was $475 but jeremy(tuner) said it was so easy to tune he'd cut $25 off. Will bolt ons I had 18hp and 19ft lbs gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Bone stock cars just don't benefit very much from a tune... unless they are an automatic. In which case, a "basic tune" (off dyno) or a mailorder tune is a better fit and is typically under $200.
    My bone stock 02 SS convertable picked up 3 tenths and 3 mph with only some very basic tuning. After buying HPtuner and not knowing how to use it,,,,I only made some very simple VE tuning and MAF tuning,,,a little timing etc....doing this all with LTFT's No wide band at all,,,,and really haven't even touched the PE tables (just for that reason) and the car was like night and day. Went from 13.70's at 101 mph to 13.40's at 104 mph just playing around with the tune a little. I'd say I already got my moneys worth from HP tuner.
    Keep in mind that my factory tune was not that great,,,,datalogging on the car was the first thing I learned and the Fuel trims were all over the place,,,and mostly in the +10 range,,,then after driving a while the right bank fuel trims would turn red and just lock out. This thing had a terrible stock tune,,,running very lean just cruising around. After dialing in the VE tables both banks of the fuel trims looked pretty even and didn't turn red anymore. Car actually drove perfectly though with stock tune,,,you couldn't tell things were out of wack.
    Now the modding has begun and I should see much more benifit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information