Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

AIR Delete Question

When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Could anyone help please.

I'd just turn all the codes off and remove the AIR PUMP fuse if the pump is still there.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I pulled the pump out. That is still a good Idea I will pull the fuse also.
    Thanks

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs.

Thanks,
    Ryan
    I believe there is more to it, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Thanks,
    Ryan
    ok got off my lazy butt and made a how to on it.

http://centralfloridastreetcars.com/hptuners.htm
    click how to disable AIR System.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post

That really is a good site with good write up's. Mrr23... Am I understanding it correcting with the VE's.... I just installed a new cam. Do I make a scan with the new cam in it... log my LTFT and STFT, then copy - paste special multiply by % half until it gets close?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you have to disable the MAF by setting the frequency to 1000Hz. this will force the PCM into SD mode and use the secondary VE table. turn off the LTFT and only use the STFT histograms. if it's way off by 10% or better, then use the paste %. once you are +/- 5% then use the % half into the primary VE table. then copy and paste the appropriate VE lines 10, 20, 30, etc into the secondary VE table from the primary table. so long as you are within +/- 4%, you're close enough. then re enable the MAF and tune it using the MAF/AFR histogram i show in the Scanner section. take time to smooth out the peaks and valleys in the VE and MAF table.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

you have to disable the MAF by setting the frequency to 1000Hz. this will force the PCM into SD mode and use the secondary VE table. turn off the LTFT and only use the STFT histograms. if it's way off by 10% or better, then use the paste %. once you are +/- 5% then use the % half into the primary VE table. then copy and paste the appropriate VE lines 10, 20, 30, etc into the secondary VE table from the primary table. so long as you are within +/- 4%, you're close enough. then re enable the MAF and tune it using the MAF/AFR histogram i show in the Scanner section. take time to smooth out the peaks and valleys in the VE and MAF table.
    I was going to just un plug it. Should I instead set it to 1000Hz? I was also going to turn ON LTFT when I was logging in SD tomorrow. Thats not right? I was also going to just try to make the secondary mirror the primary. Dont do that? Im trying to get this going tomorrow. Why only use STFT? I have the LTFT off right now, but with all my scans since the new cam... the MAF has been plugged in also.

So tomorrow I will either unplug the MAF or set the frequency to 1000 Hz. Then disable the LTFT again, (not sure why, thought I would want that along with STFT to use in my VE tables). Then take it out and make a log and try to adjust VE tables.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Where is the fuse for the AIR pump?

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Where is the fuse for the AIR pump?
    under the hood in the main fuse box. Just take a quick look it says what each fuse is for on the top of the cover.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    under the hood in the main fuse box. Just take a quick look it says what each fuse is for on the top of the cover.
    lol.. They are faded but I will find it...

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I was going to just un plug it. Should I instead set it to 1000Hz? I was also going to turn ON LTFT when I was logging in SD tomorrow. Thats not right? I was also going to just try to make the secondary mirror the primary. Dont do that? Im trying to get this going tomorrow. Why only use STFT? I have the LTFT off right now, but with all my scans since the new cam... the MAF has been plugged in also.

So tomorrow I will either unplug the MAF or set the frequency to 1000 Hz. Then disable the LTFT again, (not sure why, thought I would want that along with STFT to use in my VE tables). Then take it out and make a log and try to adjust VE tables.
    unplug it and set the fail frequency to 1000Hz. the PCM will not go into SD mode until the MAF fails testing. also, aero out the MAF table. i've run into and instance where the scanner was showing 3000Hz when the MAF wasn't there. this messes with the fueling. when it goes into SD mode, it uses the secondary VE table. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. so do your copy/paste into the primary, then copy over the correct rows into the secondary. the primary table rows are 5, 10, 15 , 20, etc... the secondary rows are 10, 20, 30, etc... so, pay particular attention when copying the corrections over.

problem with using the LTFT is the fact it's LONG term. so, you'll get errors because it's factoring in previous calculations. STFT is immediate changes. also, when you make changes to the VE table, before logging, go into the scanner and reset the fuel trims. this will zero out and previous stored calculations and start fresh again. by only using STFT, you don't have to wait for about 50 miles before changes to the VE table start showing a difference due to LTFT factoring.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

That's great work! I will keep a link to this post in this thread to refer people to who I routinely encounter that are looking for this info.

One note though, I don't think that the PCM's internal readiness tests for the air pump will be allowed to complete if it is disabled in the general tab (not that you claim otherwise, just a thought).

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thank You Very Much Mrr23. I have refered to your write ups before. You must have just made the AIR one. Thanks again.

Ryan

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Alright, cool. I have set the fail frequency to 1000 Hz.

Un checked the SES for P0101, p 0102, p 0103 and set the error mode to 0 MIL on First error. I will un plug the MAF and take it for a spin. With the LTFT DISABLED and th STFT ENABLED. Also, I have a wideband hooked up (LC-1). My eyes are open alittle further since I read this. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. Things are starting to fall into place now. So wouldnt using the WB numbers be even better then using the STFT''s to adjust Primary and Secondary VE's? I noticed the WB's histogram is also the same.

Everytime I read your guys posts on this HPT stuff I learn alot. Thanks guys.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Also, you mean zero out the Maf Airflow Vs Output Freqency? I guess I will copy and save those numbers for when I need to re-instate them. Too bad its been raining ALL day. I want to try this stuff so badly.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Thank You Very Much Mrr23. I have refered to your write ups before. You must have just made the AIR one. Thanks again.

Ryan
    yep made it just for him.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Alright, cool. I have set the fail frequency to 1000 Hz.

Un checked the SES for P0101, p 0102, p 0103 and set the error mode to 0 MIL on First error. I will un plug the MAF and take it for a spin. With the LTFT DISABLED and th STFT ENABLED. Also, I have a wideband hooked up (LC-1). My eyes are open alittle further since I read this. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. Things are starting to fall into place now. So wouldnt using the WB numbers be even better then using the STFT''s to adjust Primary and Secondary VE's? I noticed the WB's histogram is also the same.

Everytime I read your guys posts on this HPT stuff I learn alot. Thanks guys.
    one thing i like to think about. the PCM uses the STFT and LTFT to make changes. i tuned with both a wideband and the PCM STFT. i watched the wideband and logged the STFT. never got around to hooking the wideband to hptuners. it worked fine for me.

Also, you mean zero out the Maf Airflow Vs Output Freqency? I guess I will copy and save those numbers for when I need to re-instate them. Too bad its been raining ALL day. I want to try this stuff so badly.
    yes. what you do is zero out the table and then save the file under a different name. when you make changes, always rename the file. that way if it doesn't work out, you can go back to the last one.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Should I install My 42 lb Green top injectors before I go any further with my tuning? My injectors are at 102% after cam swap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information