Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

AIR Delete Question

This is a discussion on AIR Delete Question within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs. Thanks, Ryan...

  1. #1
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    AIR Delete Question

    When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs.

    Thanks,
    Ryan

  2. #2
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Could anyone help please.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,725
    I'd just turn all the codes off and remove the AIR PUMP fuse if the pump is still there.

  4. #4
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    I pulled the pump out. That is still a good Idea I will pull the fuse also.
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,997

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
    I believe there is more to it, but I couldn't tell you exactly what.

  6. #6
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    When tunning out AIR with HP Tuners do I have to turn anything off other that the DTCs.

    Thanks,
    Ryan
    ok got off my lazy butt and made a how to on it.

    http://centralfloridastreetcars.com/hptuners.htm
    click how to disable AIR System.

  7. #7
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    ok got off my lazy butt and made a how to on it.

    http://centralfloridastreetcars.com/hptuners.htm
    click how to disable AIR System.
    That really is a good site with good write up's. Mrr23... Am I understanding it correcting with the VE's.... I just installed a new cam. Do I make a scan with the new cam in it... log my LTFT and STFT, then copy - paste special multiply by % half until it gets close?

  8. #8
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    you have to disable the MAF by setting the frequency to 1000Hz. this will force the PCM into SD mode and use the secondary VE table. turn off the LTFT and only use the STFT histograms. if it's way off by 10% or better, then use the paste %. once you are +/- 5% then use the % half into the primary VE table. then copy and paste the appropriate VE lines 10, 20, 30, etc into the secondary VE table from the primary table. so long as you are within +/- 4%, you're close enough. then re enable the MAF and tune it using the MAF/AFR histogram i show in the Scanner section. take time to smooth out the peaks and valleys in the VE and MAF table.

  9. #9
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    you have to disable the MAF by setting the frequency to 1000Hz. this will force the PCM into SD mode and use the secondary VE table. turn off the LTFT and only use the STFT histograms. if it's way off by 10% or better, then use the paste %. once you are +/- 5% then use the % half into the primary VE table. then copy and paste the appropriate VE lines 10, 20, 30, etc into the secondary VE table from the primary table. so long as you are within +/- 4%, you're close enough. then re enable the MAF and tune it using the MAF/AFR histogram i show in the Scanner section. take time to smooth out the peaks and valleys in the VE and MAF table.
    I was going to just un plug it. Should I instead set it to 1000Hz? I was also going to turn ON LTFT when I was logging in SD tomorrow. Thats not right? I was also going to just try to make the secondary mirror the primary. Dont do that? Im trying to get this going tomorrow. Why only use STFT? I have the LTFT off right now, but with all my scans since the new cam... the MAF has been plugged in also.

    So tomorrow I will either unplug the MAF or set the frequency to 1000 Hz. Then disable the LTFT again, (not sure why, thought I would want that along with STFT to use in my VE tables). Then take it out and make a log and try to adjust VE tables.

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Where is the fuse for the AIR pump?

  11. #11
    Member km346's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    masssaaechuuuseettes
    Posts
    241

    Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Where is the fuse for the AIR pump?
    under the hood in the main fuse box. Just take a quick look it says what each fuse is for on the top of the cover.

  12. #12
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    under the hood in the main fuse box. Just take a quick look it says what each fuse is for on the top of the cover.
    lol.. They are faded but I will find it...

  13. #13
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I was going to just un plug it. Should I instead set it to 1000Hz? I was also going to turn ON LTFT when I was logging in SD tomorrow. Thats not right? I was also going to just try to make the secondary mirror the primary. Dont do that? Im trying to get this going tomorrow. Why only use STFT? I have the LTFT off right now, but with all my scans since the new cam... the MAF has been plugged in also.

    So tomorrow I will either unplug the MAF or set the frequency to 1000 Hz. Then disable the LTFT again, (not sure why, thought I would want that along with STFT to use in my VE tables). Then take it out and make a log and try to adjust VE tables.
    unplug it and set the fail frequency to 1000Hz. the PCM will not go into SD mode until the MAF fails testing. also, aero out the MAF table. i've run into and instance where the scanner was showing 3000Hz when the MAF wasn't there. this messes with the fueling. when it goes into SD mode, it uses the secondary VE table. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. so do your copy/paste into the primary, then copy over the correct rows into the secondary. the primary table rows are 5, 10, 15 , 20, etc... the secondary rows are 10, 20, 30, etc... so, pay particular attention when copying the corrections over.

    problem with using the LTFT is the fact it's LONG term. so, you'll get errors because it's factoring in previous calculations. STFT is immediate changes. also, when you make changes to the VE table, before logging, go into the scanner and reset the fuel trims. this will zero out and previous stored calculations and start fresh again. by only using STFT, you don't have to wait for about 50 miles before changes to the VE table start showing a difference due to LTFT factoring.

  14. #14
    TunedbyFrost.com Tuner Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    2,415

    LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

    Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    ok got off my lazy butt and made a how to on it.

    http://centralfloridastreetcars.com/hptuners.htm
    click how to disable AIR System.
    That's great work! I will keep a link to this post in this thread to refer people to who I routinely encounter that are looking for this info.

    One note though, I don't think that the PCM's internal readiness tests for the air pump will be allowed to complete if it is disabled in the general tab (not that you claim otherwise, just a thought).

  15. #15
    Member Sweet Chops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Manitowoc, WI
    Age
    35
    Posts
    763

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

    Thank You Very Much Mrr23. I have refered to your write ups before. You must have just made the AIR one. Thanks again.

    Ryan

  16. #16
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Alright, cool. I have set the fail frequency to 1000 Hz.

    Un checked the SES for P0101, p 0102, p 0103 and set the error mode to 0 MIL on First error. I will un plug the MAF and take it for a spin. With the LTFT DISABLED and th STFT ENABLED. Also, I have a wideband hooked up (LC-1). My eyes are open alittle further since I read this. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. Things are starting to fall into place now. So wouldnt using the WB numbers be even better then using the STFT''s to adjust Primary and Secondary VE's? I noticed the WB's histogram is also the same.

    Everytime I read your guys posts on this HPT stuff I learn alot. Thanks guys.

  17. #17
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Also, you mean zero out the Maf Airflow Vs Output Freqency? I guess I will copy and save those numbers for when I need to re-instate them. Too bad its been raining ALL day. I want to try this stuff so badly.

  18. #18
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Thank You Very Much Mrr23. I have refered to your write ups before. You must have just made the AIR one. Thanks again.

    Ryan
    yep made it just for him.

  19. #19
    Senior Member mrr23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    orlando, fl
    Posts
    7,134

    dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Alright, cool. I have set the fail frequency to 1000 Hz.

    Un checked the SES for P0101, p 0102, p 0103 and set the error mode to 0 MIL on First error. I will un plug the MAF and take it for a spin. With the LTFT DISABLED and th STFT ENABLED. Also, I have a wideband hooked up (LC-1). My eyes are open alittle further since I read this. the histogram you'll use is the exact same as the primary VE table. Things are starting to fall into place now. So wouldnt using the WB numbers be even better then using the STFT''s to adjust Primary and Secondary VE's? I noticed the WB's histogram is also the same.

    Everytime I read your guys posts on this HPT stuff I learn alot. Thanks guys.
    one thing i like to think about. the PCM uses the STFT and LTFT to make changes. i tuned with both a wideband and the PCM STFT. i watched the wideband and logged the STFT. never got around to hooking the wideband to hptuners. it worked fine for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Also, you mean zero out the Maf Airflow Vs Output Freqency? I guess I will copy and save those numbers for when I need to re-instate them. Too bad its been raining ALL day. I want to try this stuff so badly.
    yes. what you do is zero out the table and then save the file under a different name. when you make changes, always rename the file. that way if it doesn't work out, you can go back to the last one.

  20. #20
    Veteran Hi-Po's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,461

    Black
    1999 TA WS.6

    Should I install My 42 lb Green top injectors before I go any further with my tuning? My injectors are at 102% after cam swap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Quick Question EGR/AIR Delete
    By ChevyZ76 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2017, 08:56 AM
  2. Header Question : EGR delete? o2 ext ??
    By 5abivt in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM
  3. o2 delete question
    By razer900 in forum General Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
  4. Resonator Delete Question
    By surfinjoe in forum GTO
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 08:21 PM
  5. I have a serious question. Mods please dont delete.
    By FSANE in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 02:24 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •