9 50.00%
  • LM-1

3 16.67%
  • AEM

2 11.11%

Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Adding Wideband to HPTuners

I am brand spanking new to tuning. I just got HPTuners, because I needed to tune for a cam/springs install that I paid for yesterday(specs in signature). I have been reading posts on Wideband O2 and have a couple of questions. Which one should I get? If I put up links/or attach files of my current tune can you help me get it right (idle is seeking)? I would like to get the Nexus gauge so that all of mine match, but I don't think they are the same quality of the PLX?

Last edited by dougcw; 12-09-2006 at 06:51 PM.
    Mods: FAST 90mm, Nick Williams 90mm TB, TR 230/224 .581/.567 111 LSA, CC 921 springs, Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, SLP Loudmouth, Eibach Pro Kit, Billstein HD, Baer Eradispeed, Whisper Lid, BMR SFCs, BMR Adj. LCAs, BMR reloc. brackets, HPTuners. 418HP/390ft-lbs rearwheel on a DynoJet.

Mrs.'s Boobies

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I voted for the AEM, as it is one of THE most portable and easy to install widebands available. It comes with a guage, that is the controller as well, and only has four wires to worry about to start tuning. I have used the DynoJet Commander, Innovative's LM-1, and now use exclusively the AEM wideband.
    George P. Lara
    Mine 2001 Camaro SS #0391: FQuick Garage
    Mrs.'s 2002 Camaro SS #7072: FQuick Garage

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I have been happy with my LC-1
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Mag Red
    2000 Vette

HPt standard or Pro?

If pro, go to the HPtuner sight. They can suggest a couple of ones they all use.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

I got the Dynojet wideband with my HPT and it's great and easy to wire up.

Token V6 Guy

Silver
    2000 Grand Prix GTP

LM-1 here...simple & effective.
    Support for HPTuners

98 Formula
    06 duramax

LM-1 here also. I bought that one so I could swap it back and forth between my car and my buddies c-5.
    Am I missing something or shouldn't your lifts be .575/.563? My buddy has that same cam in his c-5. I use edit or I would let you look at his tune. His setup is different than yours though. He has home ported heads with stock TB and LS6 intake and has an a4.

I just noticed this original post was from december. Duh. So how did the tune come out?

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

HPT pro here and Dynojet wide band, wouldn't leave home without it.

Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I got 418 rwhp and 390 ft-lbs on the dyno. I'm interested in self tuning some of the little bugs out that you can never see on the dyno or show the tuner, unless he goes for a ride in the passenger's seat for a long stent. LM-1 I hear is better than LC-1? Any thoughts?

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dougcw View Post
    LM-1 I hear is better than LC-1? Any thoughts?
    The LM-1 uses the same chip and wideband as the LC-1. So the real difference between the too is that the LM-1 has a built in gauge and is designed to be portable (easy to install from car to car). The LC-1 is designed to be permanently mounted on the car, if you want a gauge you can attach a standard A/F gauge that accepts a linear voltage usually 0-5v or somewhere in between You can program the LC-1 to provide the correct output to match your gauge. The second output you can wire for input to HpTuners.

Some people have been having good results with the PLX too.

Do you have the enhanced interface? This will determine too which way to go as you will have to upgrade your interface to connect the wb directly to it to log AFR directly into HPTuners. If not you can either upgrade the interface (for aprox. $150+shipping) or set it up so you can log through your pcm.

I have an LC-1 because it was cheap and I was not afraid of a little wiring. It cost me 179.90 shipped. I used an old rear o2 sensor harness and was able to use my rear o2 sensor to get power, grounds and the signal to the PCM so I can log using Hp-tuners. Note I do not have the Pro interface (heck I still have the serial interface) so I had to use a signal going into my PCM to be able to log the AFR in HPTuners. With my setup I can use either the rear O2 signal (0-1v) or a wire to the AC Presure sensor (0-5v). I've been using the rear o2 because of the ease of install and uninstall. It takes me literally 5 mins. (including time to jack the car up) to remove or plug mine in.

If you are not comfortable wiring a set up yourself stay with something like the LM-1.

If you have any questions about my set up PM and I can give you more details.

Good Luck!

Another Black
    02 Z28

tuning with 2 LC1's I hard wired them in to replace the precat O2's and got the moates O meters to mount in the dash. Have it rigged to plug into my Flashscan module. It was hard to beat the 240 price tag for LC1 and the digital readout from Moates. I think they're still offering the package deal.
    The incredible X

Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Just got my LC-1 with XD-16 kit! I'm going to install it this weekend and see where I am sitting. I am going to install just 1 sensor just behind where the y pipe merges into the exhaust.

Black
    01 ws6

Hi I am just getting interested in geting a wideband as well. Where is the best place to mount? I wonder if you can monitor both sides at once? Where is the best place to get info on this stuff?

Another Black
    02 Z28

I assume that you have some sort of tuning software if you are asking this question as there is NO OTHER purpose for having a wideband. It's just a waste of money. As far as which is better it's for you to decide. If you want a permanent install it's hard to beat the price of Innovates LC1, when you can get 2 of them for the price of one of just about any others(even the other one from Innovate), and is still programmable. Whether you want data logging or other features you have to decide for yourself. Heres a few manufacturers for you.

FAST- makes a dual sensor one but is pricey
    Innovate Motorsports- Makes the LC1 and the LM1
    AEM
    PLX devices
    Autometer
    DynoJet

There's other but that's all I can think of at the moment. Go to their sites read the info decide what you want to use it for and compare. Then once you pick one out, shop around for the lowest price.

BLACK
    2004 Monaro

I use the Daytona Sensors WB. You can pick them up for around $350. Many options like LED readout, free-air calibration and 2 additional analog inputs.

They are heavily into motor bikes but make an automotive version. Motor bikes is where a lot of the R&D is.

Thread Information