Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?

Impounded

?

Lets just assume i dont know anything

How hard is it to tune for bolt ons with say a LC-1 or with a laptop?

Or should i stick to mail-in tunes to Frost?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Lets just assume i dont know anything

How hard is it to tune for bolt ons with say a LC-1 or with a laptop?

Or should i stick to mail-in tunes to Frost?
    I would.. Even having some knowledge is enough to get into trouble..

I know a minute amount about tuning.. I wont even try it with my toys tho..

Especially since I'm FI.. One mistake and BOOM..

Too much to chance when thousands of dollars (an engine) is involved.. imho

Frost is a trained pro who will get it right the first time without any guess work on his end..

Just my .02 bro..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Impounded
    Ok thats what figured.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nelson or Frost.

Impounded
    Nelson?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I've been studying up on this for about a year now. Even went to one of Banish's tuning classes. I'm still not comfortable making changes to the tune and will continue to utilize Frost's services.

Someday...

2000 Trans Am

If you have that available to you I wouldnt hesitate to try it out. Thats how I started and its fun. Your always learning something. Just do your homework first.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

Jeff: i was wondering how you made out at class. Don't be scared...just point and click

Basham: Any of the big name flash sofetware packages are great to have, if for no other reson than diagnosing problems. Nothing beats being able to "see" your car running as live data. Plus, I believe Frost can work a little closer with you if you have a tuning suite.

Black
    1999 WS6

I'm a programmer by trade and no longer possess the balls to tune or even attempt to alter a tune on my own cars after I "tried" a simple tune program for altering timing during NOS apllications based on a "copy" someone had sent me. It sure looked easy enough. It was free, I thought I knew it all and could save a few $$. Actually, this is the first time in 6 years that I've actually had the balls to admit to anybody that I was stupid enough to try it so since I'm coming out of the closet on this subject, please take my advice.
    Well, I went boom and then I decied to spend the money elsewhere with someone who may posses such balls and knowledge.
    I highly recommend going to someone reputable unless you're looking for a good excuse for the wife or gf for some new "under the hood" parts.
    Even some tuners out there that claim they can tune for you may do more harm then good. Stick with those who have proven results. Something as simple as hesitation can be highly annoying when you expect smooth sailing.
    Just my $0.02 as well.....
    1999 WS6 - Black - 414rwhp 401rwtq w/o NOS
    632rwhp 577rwtq with HSW 250shot NOS

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by MrKid View Post
    Jeff: i was wondering how you made out at class. Don't be scared...just point and click

It was great: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145347

2000 Trans Am

[quote=kevnstac;2525402]I'm a programmer by trade and no longer possess the balls to tune or even attempt to alter a tune on my own cars after I "tried" a simple tune program for altering timing during NOS apllications based on a "copy" someone had sent me. It sure looked easy enough. It was free, I thought I knew it all and could save a few $$. quote]

It is a good rule of thumb not to use another persons tune (Who may or may not know what they are doing)especially for a car with a power adder. Small changes should be made at first because every car reacts differently. A car like yours would have been better off dyno tuned by someone with some experience.

To the OP: Here is a guide to look at and see if you can get comfortable with the concepts. Its very basic for a beginner and specific problems you come across will have to be researched to see what others have done to successfully fix the little bugs. Jeff's Tuning Guide

Black
    1999 WS6

[QUOTE=2000;2525459][quote=kevnstac;2525402]I'm a programmer by trade and no longer possess the balls to tune or even attempt to alter a tune on my own cars after I "tried" a simple tune program for altering timing during NOS apllications based on a "copy" someone had sent me. It sure looked easy enough. It was free, I thought I knew it all and could save a few $$. quote]

It is a good rule of thumb not to use another persons tune (Who may or may not know what they are doing)especially for a car with a power adder. Small changes should be made at first because every car reacts differently. A car like yours would have been better off dyno tuned by someone with some experience.

I agree 110% !!! Live and learn I guess.

Impounded
    That guide's a little sketchy to me..

@MrKid what would be a good program that i would use for the sole purpose of diagnosing problems/bugs/needed adjustments/etc?

2000 Trans Am

That guide's a little sketchy to me..

@MrKid what would be a good program that i would use for the sole purpose of diagnosing problems/bugs/needed adjustments/etc?
    Its actually made by a guy specifically for gen 3 vehicles but people use it and it gets revamped from time to time to stay up to date. If its not for you they also have books and dvds on tuning but frost may be more helpful to you in this case.

I know your asking MrKid but HpTuners and EFILive are what most people are using for tuning. Any handheld doesnt have the ability to properly tune.

Impounded
    ok so...lets see if im getting this...
    there are handhelds and programs for laptops...(also mail in tunes)
    and the programs are better i take it?
    and would i still be able to diagnose problems with the handhelds?

2000 Trans Am

ok so...lets see if im getting this...
    there are handhelds and programs for laptops...(also mail in tunes)
    and the programs are better i take it?
    and would i still be able to diagnose problems with the handhelds?
    In order to data log in real time and record you would need to buy something like hp tuners or EFI live. Handhelds do not give you full control over everything. If you want to do it right a wideband is necesary also.

It looks as if frost tunes using both EFI live and Hp Tuners.

Red
    '68 Camaro RS, '11 Camaro

I have HPT with the logging module. You program which sensors you want the module to read, plug it into the car, then just drive. You can also wire a wide band right into the module. I had some running issues after my build, and was able to track down some bad sensors to get it running. Now I can start the real tuning.

Impounded
    thanks guys. any write ups or info on the HP Tuner?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

thanks guys. any write ups or info on the HP Tuner?
    We have a write up in this thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49483 Also, the HP Tuners website has a forum that you can join. They have lots of demos and pretty good support there. I have been reading quite a bit since buying the software.

Impounded
    Haha i found that last night. But thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information