Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

98 PCM to 99+ PCM

This is a discussion on 98 PCM to 99+ PCM within the Computer & Tuning forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; so im guessing the aftermarket hand held tuners that list 99-02 wont work on my 98? wel lthat just sucks. ...

so im guessing the aftermarket hand held tuners that list 99-02 wont work on my 98? wel lthat just sucks. so by re-pinning it. do u mean pullin the wires out of the connector and moving them into different spots on the connect so it can work on the 99 set-up? or we talkin changing to the 99 connector on the 98 harness. please fill me in. i have a 98' that has a bunch of bolt ons and im about to slap a cam in it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by krazykarl454 View Post
    so im guessing the aftermarket hand held tuners that list 99-02 wont work on my 98? wel lthat just sucks. so by re-pinning it. do u mean pullin the wires out of the connector and moving them into different spots on the connect so it can work on the 99 set-up? or we talkin changing to the 99 connector on the 98 harness. please fill me in. i have a 98' that has a bunch of bolt ons and im about to slap a cam in it.
    you don't want to use a handheld for a cammed car anyhow. Hptuners is the way to go there and they do support the 98's.

well i was only goin to use the hand held for a short time, just so i can get it running, u know bump the idle, timing so she's drivable. then a dyno tune will come in the very neer future. but i mite just have frost hook me up with a mail order tune. does anyone know the answer to my real queston? and not just bustin my balls about a hand held

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Not busting your balls but just drive the thing untuned before you waste money on a handheld. It will do nothing for you except make it worse. I do believe they do not work on 98s.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

All you have to do is re-pin the red and blue, pcm connectors to the 99+ pin standard. I even have repin sheets to help.
    PM Me more for info.

I saw a post about just using a 99 harness. This will not work if you have a 98 complete car. There are a few important wires that are missing that are used to drive the intrument cluster.
    Last edited by 1fastcamarosss11; 01-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

very interested

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    All you have to do is re-pin the red and blue, pcm connectors to the 99+ pin standard. I even have repin sheets to help.
    PM Me more for info.

I saw a post about just using a 99 harness. This will not work if you have a 98 complete car. There are a few important wires that are missing that are used to drive the intrument cluster.
    your avatar was removed and your signature was edited....can't advertise on the site with being a sponsor. Sorry.

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

No prob..

The best solution for the 98 to 99 pcm swap is to use your existing 98 harness and repin the pcm connectors to the 99 standard.

You CAN use a 99 engine harness but it is missing wires that are needed to drive the 98 cluster. You will need to add those wires in to the harness and wire them into the pass side kick pannel. IMO its more difficult to adapt a 99 harness to a 98 body harness.

I would (and Have) just do all my wiring in one location (the pcm connectors) and have a nice clean install.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information