White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

94 OBD-I C.A.T.S Tuner

I have a 94 t/a OBD-I. I was given a C.A.T.S tuner program and know that back when it was used to program and tune LT-1. The question that i have is, how do i hook up the program to the car or can i even hook it up to the car? is there a cord designed to fit the OBD-I port ? when i received the software it came with everything to hook up to a OBD-II which is no help for me.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Okay have another question. Can i make my own Cable using parts from the store?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

That I dont know.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_94_T/A View Post
    Okay have another question. Can i make my own Cable using parts from the store?
    copied from tunercats website which basically tells you what arborbarber said but has some other info that might help you:
    1994 - 95 LT1 Cars:

If you are working on a 1994 - 95 LT1 car you'll need one of our LT1 Tuning Kits. These kits come complete with the Tuner program, $EE ECM Definition File and the interface cables you'll need to connect you PC to the car for reading and programming the car's computer. If you car has an OBDI style ALDL connector (12 pins), you'll need the LT1-Tune-1 kit. If your car has an OBDII style ALDL connector you'll need the LT1-Tune-2 kit. If you'd like to be able to tune cars with either style ALDL connector then you should get the LT1-Tune-Y kit.

If you already have a compatible ALDL cable (we recommend the cables from AKM Electronics (www.akmcables.com), TTS Power Systems (www.ttspowersystems.com) or Craig Moates (http://moates.net).) then all you'll need is the Tuner program and the $EE ECM Definition File.

EPROM Based Vehicles:

Most other OBDI GM vehicle have a computer that uses an EPROM to store the calibration information. To tune these vehicles you'll need our Tuner program (or the RT Tuner program if you want to do real-time tuning) and the appropriate ECM Definition File.

To tune these vehicles you need to remove and reprogram the EPROM so in addition to the software described above, you'll also need some hardware. To erase and reprogram the EPROM you'll need an EPROM programmer and an EPROM eraser. Virtually any EPROM programmer will work with the EPROMs used in these ECMs. We recommend the Pocket Programmer from Xtronics (www.xtronics.com). It is very reasonably priced and works well. Like the programmer, almost any EPROM eraser will work. Xtronics also carries an inexpensive eraser that works fine. It also makes things easier if you have a few spare EPROMs as well.

If you would like to be able to tune your vehicle in 'real-time', that is while the engine is running, you'll need the RT Tuner program ($99.95) instead of the standard Tuner program, the appropriate ECM Definition File and the Romulator EPROM emulator from Xtronics or the Ostrich or AutoProm emulator from Craig Moates (http://moates.net). Real-time tuning allows you to make changes while the engine is running and immediately see the affects of the changes you are making. This can significantly shorten the tuning process. The RT Tuner program does everything the standard Tuner program does in addition to real-time tuning support so you don't need both programs. When you're finished tuning, you'll want to program an EPROM with your final calibration and disconnect the emulator so you'll still need an EPROM programmer.

Please note that since the 1994-95 LT1 Flash based ECMs do not have a removable EPROM there's no way to connect an emulator to these ECMs so you can't do real-time tuning on these cars.

Thread Information