15 various corvettes

01 SS running way too rich.

01 SS with a custom cam, long tube headers, no cats. It has a custom tune by walker dynotune in Alabama from the previous owner. The car is running way too lean. Very noticible smell. The dyno sheet shows 408rwt, and 404rwhp on a dynojet. I don't mind sacrificing a little power to lean the car out a bit. What should the air\fuel ratio be for a street driven car? The car will never be taken to a track. I am going to take the car to Speedsouth in Pelham, Alabama soon. Suggestions?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

id hook a wideband and see what you are running...or have the shop look over the tune.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

generally speaking 12.8 to 13.0 at WOT and around stoich(14.7) cruising around. Going a little richer keeps you on the safe side. But it all depends on the setup

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
    01 SS with a custom cam, long tube headers, no cats. It has a custom tune by walker dynotune in Alabama from the previous owner. The car is running way too lean. Very noticible smell. The dyno sheet shows 408rwt, and 404rwhp on a dynojet. I don't mind sacrificing a little power to lean the car out a bit. What should the air\fuel ratio be for a street driven car? The car will never be taken to a track. I am going to take the car to Speedsouth in Pelham, Alabama soon. Suggestions?
    What?!

Is it lean or is it rich?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    What?!

That was my question. I don't think you can "smell lean" so I assume he means "rich". OP: Any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors that would be allowing outside air into the system?

15 various corvettes

I meant rich, not lean. Typo. You can smell the fumes very badly. I am taking it to the dyno shop to get it re-tuned. The fumes are unbearable.

15 various corvettes

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    That was my question. I don't think you can "smell lean" so I assume he means "rich". OP: Any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors that would be allowing outside air into the system?
    It has no cats or sensors. But there is a leak somewhere in the header area. I had the exhaust shop check for leaks when he removed the cutout and replace the muffler. He said he found a couple, but there is still a dangerous amount of fumes coming inside the car with the windows up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks

15 various corvettes

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    What?!

Rich. VERY rich.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
    I meant rich, not lean. Typo. You can smell the fumes very badly. I am taking it to the dyno shop to get it re-tuned. The fumes are unbearable.
    If it is super rich, I suggest you not run the engine. The excess fuel will wash down the cylinders and dissolve the oil thereby allowing metal to metal contact between the rings and cylinder walls.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

If you are still getting fumes inside the cabin, you still have the leaks. Leaks are bad= O2 sensors to go bad prematurely and also communicates to other sensors/PCM it needs to dump more fuel because of sensing more fresh air in the exhaust system.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If it is super rich, I suggest you not run the engine. The excess fuel will wash down the cylinders and dissolve the oil thereby allowing metal to metal contact between the rings and cylinder walls.
    ^ this is my biggest corner right now for my car...as my ltft are pegged at idle and at cruise are at 10-16 with my stft jumping as high as 10 .....what is scary is i dont know how long this has been happening...i think if it is indeed my headers leaking..that it has been dumping fuel for over 1 year and almost 25k miles :S

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    ^ this is my biggest corner right now for my car...as my ltft are pegged at idle and at cruise are at 10-16 with my stft jumping as high as 10 .....what is scary is i dont know how long this has been happening...i think if it is indeed my headers leaking..that it has been dumping fuel for over 1 year and almost 25k miles :S
    Hey Shady,

I told ya to try out a buddy's MAF and see if the issue persists. Past that, it's textbook air leaks since the wandering only happens at low exhaust volumes.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Hey Shady,

I told ya to try out a buddy's MAF and see if the issue persists. Past that, it's textbook air leaks since the wandering only happens at low exhaust volumes.
    i tried a new maf..some improvement..but still bad...i sent you my log when you were in ft. wayne ....so you think it is air leak (vacuum leak ?) ...i have qtp long tubes and i know at least one of them had a gap in the slip fit that worried me ....i wasn't thinking vacuum leak becuase my car doesnt really hunt for idle that much..it is pretty constant. ..well let me know what you think..i will take the intake off again and look it over if i need too.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had the same issue with my car after the dynotune. Went to my other buddy who has a Vette shop and no dyno just a wideband 02 and does a steet tune on it and it feels alot faster, smells alot less, gets better mpg's, and that dyno tune screwed a pretty new set of plugs apparently it was way too rich. I have seen that happen to alot of dynotuned cars not just fbodys around here.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

15 various corvettes

I found a few more leaks. No more now. But I am getting an intermittent 02 sensor code. Bank one. I have a scanner and I can reset the ses light!
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by meadowz06; 10-07-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Thread Information