Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why Moser?

This is a discussion on Why Moser? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Build your car for the intended end result. It will be cheaper in the long run. If you will end ...

2000 Camaro

Build your car for the intended end result. It will be cheaper in the long run. If you will end the modding at 500hp then go with a nice 12 bolt. If you may want to hang with the big dogs and go for 1000+ then get a well built 9" with a spool. Lockers are nice but will still break.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

well money isn't really an issue if it means I have to wait a bit longer to get the better rear end I'll wait longer simple as that.
    I have a few questions regarding the previous posts. You seem to all agree that Strange makes the better housing... housing for what just the 3rd member or everything?
    I'm really new at this sorry, but for now you'll have to put up with me could someone tell me what to look for or just give me a picture of the torque arm?
    How much horsepower loss can you expect from a 12 bolt as oppose to a 9" if we're talking 10 hp over 500hp thats pretty minimal for having a stronger (perhaps quieter) rear end...
    Also I was thinking of loading up my car with BMR parts for the suspension lower control arms, torque arms and what have you will there be mounting problems with any aftermarket rearends... or can I get them now and put them on my stock 10 bolt and then take them off and put them back together with an aftermarket one in place? no difference?
    Again I'm new at this and I understand things better when I see them so if you guys can scrounge up pictures that would be GREATLY appreciated thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    well money isn't really an issue if it means I have to wait a bit longer to get the better rear end I'll wait longer simple as that.
    I have a few questions regarding the previous posts. You seem to all agree that Strange makes the better housing... housing for what just the 3rd member or everything?
    I'm really new at this sorry, but for now you'll have to put up with me could someone tell me what to look for or just give me a picture of the torque arm?
    How much horsepower loss can you expect from a 12 bolt as oppose to a 9" if we're talking 10 hp over 500hp thats pretty minimal for having a stronger (perhaps quieter) rear end...
    Also I was thinking of loading up my car with BMR parts for the suspension lower control arms, torque arms and what have you will there be mounting problems with any aftermarket rearends... or can I get them now and put them on my stock 10 bolt and then take them off and put them back together with an aftermarket one in place? no difference?
    Again I'm new at this and I understand things better when I see them so if you guys can scrounge up pictures that would be GREATLY appreciated thanks!

Yes, I prefer the strange 12 bolt housings, they are of better quality, and made by a different supplier.
    The moser 12 bolt housings are manufactured by moser themselves, and I had a serious issue of gear noise with them. After 3 gear sets I got wise and put the housing on a jig,,,carrier bearing caps were not true with the intersection point for the pinion gear,,,,hope that makes sense. But it was causing gear alignment issues, within 10 miles every gear set would whine like a school bus, and the gears were ruined.

Talked to moser several times about the issue, they didn't want to hear it. Got tired of the poor service and low quality (and a few other reasons) so I jumped to Strange.

Housing made by outside supplier,(can't remember the name off the top of my head) but I have found this housing to be true, better quality, no gear whine anymore using Richmond gears. I have been happy with Strange ever since.

Other little things that bothered me about Moser housings is they didn't come with the metal tabs to hold the brake lines on the axle tubes. I ended up stamping some out of steel and welding them to the tubes in the proper places. I went (and still do) go through alot of trouble to make these 12 bolts look like a factory install, with the correct tabs, clips, bolts etc....and they take alot of prep and modifying to do so.

As far as the 9 inch housings go,,,,I have never seen a problem with these housings from any supplier. Just a sheetmetal housing that doesn't have as many critical areas that have to be spot on, kinda hard to screw that up. And since the 3rd member is a seperate piece all together,,,and in some cases people go with genuine Ford 3rd members instead of aftermarket ones to try to save a little dough,,,,which would explain why so many people say the 9 inch rearends are quiet,,,,,you have taken alot of aftermarket manufacture tolerances out of the equation. And I have found the aftermarket 3rd members to be excellent. With that said it's easy to see why most of the 9 inch installs are quiet.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

12 bolt is really all you need for an A4/400. (I prefer Strange over Moser) I know lots of guys with 9-10 second cars with them. For M6, if you see lotta track time with low 60s 9 inch would be better choice. I have a Strange 12 my M6, never broke yet but makes lots of noise.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

So what exactly happens when your stock 10 bolt goes...at speed and at takeoff? Is it just as simple as replacing the 10 bolt or do other things break along with the rear end? Basically im wondering am I going to cause alot of damage when (if) my 10 bolt goes? Also whats the catch with this rear end besides having to add a center section? How much does the third member cost? http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116 .
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by splitfinger09; 10-22-2007 at 04:36 PM.

maple red
    2001 formula

The strongest rear available is the Strange S60. It uese the DANA 60 gear set. The 9inch is great because of the quick gear change. We sell both. I have a 12 bolt Moser rear end and I will be changing to the Strange S60.

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    So what exactly happens when your stock 10 bolt goes...at speed and at takeoff? Is it just as simple as replacing the 10 bolt or do other things break along with the rear end? Basically im wondering am I going to cause alot of damage when (if) my 10 bolt goes? Also whats the catch with this rear end besides having to add a center section? How much does the third member cost? http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1116 .
    Thanks for the help.
    I can tell you an example that happened while I was driving a buddies car. An LT1 powered 355 with Lingenfelter heads, cam, and all the bolt ons. 6 speed car with the stock 10 bolt and 4.10 gears. It was a stout street car still carrying all the accessories that ran low 11's at 118 mph through a mufflex 4 inch exhaust and drag radials.
    He had broken the 10 bolt before but nothing like this. Going for either 3rd or 4th gear (can't remember) but in any case, I was already moving at a good clip, and when I hit that gear I heard a loud boom, the rearend exploded in spectacular fashion, shoving the driveshaft forward and busting the tailhousing off of the transmission, spilling tranny fluid all over the track, which got on the back tires and nearly turned me into the wall. I could have wiped the entire car out and/or the car in the other lane, but I was lucky enough to get the car slowed down.
    This little mishap destroyed the 6 speed, driveshaft and the rearend in one shot.
    It's one reason why I don't care for guys building 600 hp cars that are so common now, and running the stock 10 bolt. Because I know if I am the guy in the other lane that gets his $30,000 ride taken out because the moron in the other lane didn't want to flip the bill for a decent rearend,,,,,I am going to be pretty pissed off.

After that butt pucker incident, I don't care for the stock 10 bolts these cars come with even with a stock motor.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-24-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

so how much $ for that s60 strange with the dana 60 gears...
    also could I in theory get the axle's for the moser 9 inch with some heavy duty splines, and then throw in the strange 9 inch pumpkin? or even that s60 or am I still not getting this... do they have to come as a complete rear end? I suppose the only reason I would do that is because presumably the moser axles are cheaper then strange but if it won't save a lot of money then I might as well just get the superior rear end for the whole thing.
    any inputs?

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

also could I in theory get the axle's for the moser 9 inch with some heavy duty splines, and then throw in the strange 9 inch pumpkin? or even that s60 or am I still not getting this... do they have to come as a complete rear end? I suppose the only reason I would do that is because presumably the moser axles are cheaper then strange but if it won't save a lot of money then I might as well just get the superior rear end for the whole thing.
    any inputs?
    Like I said before. The strange Dana 60 is stout however I have read that the torque arm mount on these is tweaking the housing and causing gear whine..
    You will have to do some more mods to put one in. The driveshaft needs to be shortend 1.62 inches or you have to buy a new aftermarket drive line. You have to send in your exciter rings (If you have a 4 channel rear or "Traction control") and brake backing plates to Strange to have them put on the axles before hand or buy new ones through strange for $350. + Strange typically has a 4-5 week backorder. Not in a hurry guess it doesn't matter much.
    The installls for all 3 of these rear ends is almost identical, except the shortened driveshaft for the s60.
    Its all up to you however read more into it, Like I said before in my previous posts. My car is a street/ strip car. From what I have read, been told, and What I went with is a 9" simply because they are indeed strong, and the torque arm mount is about the best choice between the 3. A tweaked houseing from a bad torque arm mount will cause a Horible whine or Howl in the rear end. Drag car only? no problem. Like to take the Misses with you on a cruise? It gets really annoying. TRUST ME!!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

any inputs?
    For a Strange dana 60 set up the way I got my 9" it will run about $3100 not includeing the drive shaft shortning. I paid $2550 to my door for my custom 9" (35 spline axles, Pro nodular strange case, detroit locker, Motive Performance gears, exciter rings installed.)

any inputs?
    Yes you can piece them together,,,,thats the only way I do it. I just don't trust others to setup the ring and pinions correctly. I buy the bare strange housing and select the pieces I like to use. I don't like some of the stuff they use. In the end it's about the same price though.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

How do the 12 bolt, S60, and 9" compare as far as weight and parasitic loss ?

I am just starting to try and get my head wrapped into a new rear end for my car.

The 12 bolt is the lightest of the 3 and also has the least parasitic loss of the 3.

The Dana 60 would be the heaviest of the 3, those things are pigs for sure. I went through one for a friend of mine who is doing a frame off on a 69 daytona with a factory dana 60,,,,we had to carry that thing out of the basement,,,it was definately a back breaker. I can pick up a complete 9 inch by myself and move it around but I don't care to try with a dana 60.

As far as parasitic loss between the 9 inch and the Dana,,,I can't say with certainty, both will take a little more HP to turn than the 12 bolt will. The difference isn't much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information