Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why cant anyone set up 3.73's

OK I have a 02 m6 hawk with the auburn diff. I am on my 3rd set of gears and no body is able to set them up quietly. I have gone to 2 different performance shops that swore they could make set them up quiet both failed and now the car is at a tranny shop (its been there for days) and they cant make them stop making noise. First I had strange 4.10's and those were loud, stepped down to aam 3.73's and those whinned now I tried motive 3.73's and the tranny shop cant understand why they can get them to be quiet. im sick of throwing my money out and everyone is failing to do this right. now I dontt think that 3 differnt shops with 3 differnt gears they can all fail like this. All the shops were highly recommended, we even tried to switch the carrier but that made no difference. Mostly the gears are quiet but once you hit 65-+ the faster you go the louder the whine.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

I've heard 3.73s and 4.10s are usually loud and whiney, but there is always one guy with this set-up and its quiet.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i know with my mustangs for example we tend to use the ford motorsports versions. they are cut a certain way and heat treated. they are silent if set up right. have u considered GM brand gears? aftermarket gears are often the problem.

Black
    2002 Trans Am

My dad and I put Richmond 3.73s in my old '88 Camaro. They were pretty loud, but it was our first ring and pinion attempt...so that probably didn't help anything. He put a set of 3.42s in his '94...I can't remember who made 'em, but he got them from Jeg's and they weren't Richmond. They were near silent, though.

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Must just be your luck man.... that sucks. I know two guys with 3.73s and 4.10s and you can barely hear them wine over the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    i know with my mustangs for example we tend to use the ford motorsports versions. they are cut a certain way and heat treated. they are silent if set up right. have u considered GM brand gears? aftermarket gears are often the problem.
    If I need to make another attempt I will try the gm performance gears. And yea there is always a guy whos gears are quiet.... it pisses me off lol

GM gears are the way to go. A buudy has the GM 3.73's in his car and they are quiet.

GM Service Advisor

Black
    2002 Pontiac T/A Firehawk

My 2nd set of 3.73's(you don't want to hear about the 1st) were slightly used. A guy put them in then realized he wanted 4.10's. Anyway, they were slightly louder than my stock 3.42's, then they got very loud after I installed my LCA's and was showing out. My 4.10's are a little louder than my 3.73's were...a lot louder with the LCA's on, so I took them off. Now it's livable but I have the quiet SLP exhaust so you can hear them from about 50-75 even with the stereo playing moderately loud...even with T-tops off.

Our technician who installed them is a Top Certified GM Master Tech "who knows all and does all" says for weak gears( which these are, they say), it is better to set them up on the tight side of specs. He says if you loosen it, it MAY be quieter but will probably wear out or break sooner...so he says.
    2002 T/A Firehawk,M6,Black,IROC Spoiler,Chrome wheels,base suspension and diff.SLP CAI,Y-pipe,SFC,STB,Lightweight steel flywheel,SLP pulley,descreened MAF,B&M Ripper,steel 3/4 shift fork,SLP rear LCA,4:10 gears,T/A girdle with stud kit,HPP3.

"bone stock....."
    1994 Camaro Z28

If your gears are whinning, they should have a noticeably bad wear pattern in then that anybody that sets up rears would notice. If they get initially set-up wrong, and then have some miles put on them, there will be no fixing them w/o getting new gears again. Somebody might be able to make them a little quiter, but not much. If they were set up good (no bad wear pattern) then it's going to be you auburn unit that is causing the noise. Has that unit been threw a blown set of gears?

Silver
    2002 Z28

motive gears, non - performance

i figured ou tthat it was cuz my gears were a performance set not an oem replacement set....they hat a straight cut instead of the taperd cut

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Cool

My exhaust deadens any gear noise..I have 3:73's also. I bought a 7.5" Detroit True - Trac back in '99 when they were still making them for our crummy rears. ...BTW..Great Units.

SOM BTCH

SOM
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Try a 4x4 shop, they set up more gears than anyone and usually do it right the 1st time.

Green
    1995 Pontiac Formula

Very GOOD point..! Off to the OFF ROAD place I go.. Here is a side question.. I am about to buy a new rear end install kit and gears for my 95 'Bird.. I am torn between 3.73's and 4.10's.. I still have the factory 3.23's in place. My car is a daily driver but I do plan on hitting the 1/8 mile track about once a month..

3.73's - Better on top end? Better than 4.10's on the highway?
    4.10's - Better low end? Better on 1/8 ~ 1/4 mile tracks?

SOM BTCH

SOM
    2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

i'd go 3.73's if you drive alot, 4.10's if you race more.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Some of the motive and richmond gears are race cut gears.....they will make noise.........I think the GM gears aren't....unless of course you get the performance gears......How did the patterns look on the gears???? Hard to believe that they couldn't get em right.......I know before I went with a Moser 9" I had 3.73's in my stock rear and they were quiet as a church mouse......

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Sounds like with all the $ you spent on that 10 bolt you coulda been halfway to a 12 bolt. 3:73s and 4:10s are more prone to whine. Even if they are set up perfect and dont whine at all if you have any kind of fun with your car they wont stay that way. The 10 bolt won't hold the specs its set up to.

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Sounds like with all the $ you spent on that 10 bolt you coulda been halfway to a 12 bolt. 3:73s and 4:10s are more prone to whine. Even if they are set up perfect and dont whine at all if you have any kind of fun with your car they wont stay that way. The 10 bolt won't hold the specs its set up to.
    that dont make sense.....it holds the 3.42 specs but not the 3.73s?

right now they set them up really good, no whine but I get this noise... no matter what gear, even coasting in neutral....i dont know how to explain it other then saying its a different type of whine....I think they make have made the preload on the bearings too tight. Its kind of like a buzzing "zzzzzzzz" sound.... not too loud just annoying.

Where are yo located? I know a guy in the pittsburgh area who setup my 3.73s and they are super quite.

long island......

I am taking my car back later this week for them to check out the buzzing sound....they may even fix it for free if its my bearings they installed

Thread Information