Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Who has MWC 9"?

This is a discussion on Who has MWC 9"? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; alright. ive heard nothing but great things about these tanks. i need a new rear end before i do anything ...

  1. #1
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148

    Who has MWC 9"?

    alright. ive heard nothing but great things about these tanks.
    i need a new rear end before i do anything upgrades...
    i have all stock suspension...so i need to build it up this summer alog with my tranny...figured id start with the rear

    i wont break 600HP most likely
    and in a year or two ill have a TSP LS7 427 (iron or aluminum i havent decided---and it will probably stay stock besides minor bolt-ons) as long as financing goes as planned

    i heard go wit Yukon gears because theyre more quite than Richmonds
    3.70s? for bolt-ons?
    PST 1000HP Driveshaft
    Adj LCAs? PHB? Torque Arms?
    or should i get these from UMI?
    i want to keep a smooth ride...i heard these can get pretty rough

    who has them and what options do you have or suggest on what i should get?

  2. #2
    Yeah baby! Yeah! silverWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    okc
    Posts
    2,571

    Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

    M6=4.10's You'll love it and never look back.

  3. #3
    Senior Member 98maro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north bay california
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,973

    Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

    I have 3.73s. Not a big dif from stock.
    M6
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

  4. #4
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,466

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    The MWC 9" comes with a torque arm already

    You don't need adj. LCA's unless you plan on running a slick or larger tire and will need clearance between the tire and wheel well.

    You do want LCA relocation brackets welded onto the axle housings.

    I thought I already answered all of this in another thread you posted in???

  5. #5
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The MWC 9" comes with a torque arm already

    You don't need adj. LCA's unless you plan on running a slick or larger tire and will need clearance between the tire and wheel well.

    You do want LCA relocation brackets welded onto the axle housings.

    I thought I already answered all of this in another thread you posted in???

    even for kooks LTs?


    what if i upgrade to 18s with street tires??

    and you did answer. but i figure other inputs would help too

  6. #6
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,466

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post

    even for kooks LTs?


    what if i upgrade to 18s with street tires??

    and you did answer. but i figure other inputs would help too
    I'm sure they have different TA's just like UMI and other mfg's do for different exhaust set-ups.

    I would run a full-length torque arm with a cross-member relocation mount to get it off the tail shaft of the transmission. This style is OE and will clear your exhaust set-up as well.

    It never hurts to get anything "adjustable". You probably will not be using it though and will be adjusting the lower control arm length to the "stock" length to get your wheel centered in the wheel well.

  7. #7
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,466

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Just so you know, the clearance with the torque arm and the floor pan of your car is non-existent when you have a 9" rear end.

    You WILL need to massage the floor pan of your car to create your own clearance between the torque arm and underside of the car.

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    by masasge you mean...hammer?

  9. #9
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,466

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    by masasge you mean...hammer?

  10. #10
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    isee isee i guess thats pretty self explainitory

  11. #11
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Alright i emailed the guy.
    He sent me a list of the options below...
    Whatcha think?

    base package includes housing(any width), Strange nodular center section with spool and choice of gear, 31-35 spline Strange axles w/ street bearings and 2" 12mm metric or 1/2" SAE studs, chromemoly double adjustable torque arm with crossmember for your application. all necessary hardware is included as well. this is (price here) shipped.

    options:
    housing backbrace +150.00
    additional Meziere rear side filler cap assy +30.00
    3 channel abs (Truetrac, Wavetrac, or spool req'd) +175.00
    4 channel abs axle mod +100.00
    3 ch. abs w/ Wavetrac diff +25.00
    new 4 ch. abs rings(if needed) +100.00
    billet clutch type posi(rebuildable) +100.00
    Truetrac differential unit +275.00
    Detroit Locker diff unit +375.00
    35 spl Wavetrac diff unit +800.00
    3.00 or 3.25 gear(Motive) +25.00
    Richmond gears( 3.50. 3.89, 4.11) +50.00
    Richmond gears(3.70, 4.30) +60.00
    black powdercoating +125.00
    Strange lightweight alum center, alum support, forged yoke +250.00
    Yukon thru-bolt alum center, pro alum support, forged yoke +325.00
    Strange Pro Nodular iron case +90.00
    Forged alum support and forged yoke(iron cases) +100.00
    ARP 2.5" long 12mm wheel studs +20.00
    new gm caliper mounts and backing plates +375.00
    PST 3" seamless steel driveshaft(A4) +300.00
    PST 3.5" aluminum driveshaft(A4) +400.00
    PST chromemoly yoke upgrade(M6 over 450rwhp) +100.00
    forged yoke upgrade for any PST shaft +50.00
    Strange 3" chromemoly driveshaft (A4)+300.00
    Strange 3" chromemoly driveshaft(M6 over 450rwhp)+400.00
    Strange 3" cm driveshaft, cm trans yoke, forged cm/tig welded ends +500.00(race)
    tubular chromemoly bolt-on race style anti-roll bar +350.00
    chromemoly adjustable lca's and panhard +285.00
    Strange sportsman brake kit +450.00 shipped
    Strange Pro Race brake kit +560.00 shipped
    tow loops welded to rear of housing +40.00
    lower wheelie bar mount crossbar +50.00
    tunnel form-fitting d/s loop for long arm +80.00
    completely assembled rearend ready to bolt-in +80.00 (will need
    to be supplied with your brake caliper mounts(backing plates) or new ones)
    magnetic angle finder for setting up pinion angle 10.00

  12. #12
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    I have the MWC 9" and will be happy to answer what I can. I finished my install a couple of months ago and did almost the entire thing by myself lying on my back in the floor of my garage. Not bad at all and the only place I had to break out the BFH was to "mod" the inner fender wells to help clear the 315's.

    Here's what I went with:
    housing backbrace (do this- you can't bolt it on later, it is welded on)
    additional Meziere rear side filler cap assy (makes it much easier to fill)
    4 channel abs axle mod (only need this if you have ABS and TCS- otherwise if you only have the ABS in the housing get the 3-channel)
    billet clutch type posi(rebuildable) (MWC recommended this over the others for mine since it was a daily driver- I was impressed since I'd asked for the more expensive one)
    black powdercoating on the rear and red on componenets
    PST 3.5" aluminum driveshaft(M6) (You can get a u-joint to adapt the stock driveshaft, but it'll still be a half-inch short)
    chromemoly adjustable lca's and panhard (I went ahead and did this, you don't have to)
    Short torque arm with ORY brace (they make one for stock exhaust and duals or you can go with a full length TA which comes with a new trans mount and you can purchase the ds loop seperately.)
    completely assembled rearend ready to bolt-in
    4.11 Yukon gear (Richmonds are noisy and overkill)

    I can say that this was the best mod I've made to the car and everyone who sees it is in awe. It really is a work of art.

    Here is the thread on mine with some pics:
    MWC Rear has arrived!
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

  13. #13
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    ^^^
    already read it. great write up that made me decide to go with MCW
    i think i agree on all but the Torque arm-id get the full length
    and the PST 3.5" driveshaft is cheaper at KYSpeed isnt it?
    and were looking at $4K+?!?

    this makes me reconsider Moser...
    Last edited by BashamWS6; 12-21-2010 at 06:08 PM.

  14. #14
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Mine was under $4k, but barely! The short TA and the solid mounts of the LCAs make for a rough ride, so if you want to keep with near to stock ride quality, go with the long TA and either stock LCA's or LCA's with rubber or poly bushings.

  15. #15
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    BTW, I also went with 3-point sub-frame connectors (UMI) as well which I got from KYSpeed. As for the PST driveshaft, I ordered it from MWC just to make sure that I got the right length, which is longer than stock.

  16. #16
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    Alright i emailed the guy.
    He sent me a list of the options below...
    Whatcha think?

    base package includes housing(any width), Strange nodular center section with spool and choice of gear, 31-35 spline Strange axles w/ street bearings and 2" 12mm metric or 1/2" SAE studs, chromemoly double adjustable torque arm with crossmember for your application. all necessary hardware is included as well. this is (price here) shipped.

    options:
    housing backbrace +150.00
    additional Meziere rear side filler cap assy +30.00

    3 channel abs (Truetrac, Wavetrac, or spool req'd) +175.00
    4 channel abs axle mod +100.00
    3 ch. abs w/ Wavetrac diff +25.00
    new 4 ch. abs rings(if needed) +100.00
    billet clutch type posi(rebuildable) +100.00

    Truetrac differential unit +275.00
    Detroit Locker diff unit +375.00
    35 spl Wavetrac diff unit +800.00
    3.00 or 3.25 gear(Motive) +25.00
    Richmond gears( 3.50. 3.89, 4.11) +50.00
    Richmond gears(3.70, 4.30) +60.00
    black powdercoating +125.00
    Strange lightweight alum center, alum support, forged yoke +250.00
    Yukon thru-bolt alum center, pro alum support, forged yoke +325.00
    Strange Pro Nodular iron case +90.00
    Forged alum support and forged yoke(iron cases) +100.00
    ARP 2.5" long 12mm wheel studs +20.00
    new gm caliper mounts and backing plates +375.00
    PST 3" seamless steel driveshaft(A4) +300.00
    PST 3.5" aluminum driveshaft(A4) +400.00
    PST chromemoly yoke upgrade(M6 over 450rwhp) +100.00
    forged yoke upgrade for any PST shaft +50.00
    Strange 3" chromemoly driveshaft (A4)+300.00
    Strange 3" chromemoly driveshaft(M6 over 450rwhp)+400.00
    Strange 3" cm driveshaft, cm trans yoke, forged cm/tig welded ends +500.00(race)
    tubular chromemoly bolt-on race style anti-roll bar +350.00
    chromemoly adjustable lca's and panhard +285.00
    Strange sportsman brake kit +450.00 shipped
    Strange Pro Race brake kit +560.00 shipped
    tow loops welded to rear of housing +40.00
    lower wheelie bar mount crossbar +50.00
    tunnel form-fitting d/s loop for long arm +80.00
    completely assembled rearend ready to bolt-in +80.00 (will needto be supplied with your brake caliper mounts(backing plates) or new ones)
    magnetic angle finder for setting up pinion angle 10.00
    KYspeed pricing...
    all this plus Full size Torque Arm for Kooks +370.00
    single adj(double may be overkill for DD with few passes) LCAs/Panhard-$343/Double adj or $275/single adj
    PST 3.5" DS-+$420.00

    $4725...?
    am i this bad at math or what? i mean i know i aced my finite final but seriously

  17. #17
    Member zmg00camaross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    764

    pewter
    2000 camaro ss

    I also have a MWC, Mine is more drag set up with drag brakes and narrowed and all, With a MWC there will be no massage of the floor pan because of the torque arm, MWC is the best true bolt in rear on the market. I sold my stamp 9 inch housing to buy his, My setup cost me 4K with out a $1100 3rd member which I built myself, But I bought wheels and the strange drag brakes and all that made it that price. Me and 2 other buddys bought from MWC and I have installed 3 of them and have a bunch of experience with MWC and Erics Fab rear. Just order parts from him last week haha, PM me if you have any questions and hopefully can get you set straight. Edit, I paid 400 for my driveshaft. Its all about the options you want that makes it cost, His base price for a rear is 2700 and that is with a torque arm with mount.
    Last edited by zmg00camaross; 12-21-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: I edited

  18. #18
    Member bberretta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    665

    Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

    Quote Originally Posted by BashamWS6 View Post
    KYspeed pricing...
    all this plus Full size Torque Arm for Kooks +370.00
    single adj(double may be overkill for DD with few passes) LCAs/Panhard-$343/Double adj or $275/single adj
    PST 3.5" DS-+$420.00

    $4725...?
    am i this bad at math or what? i mean i know i aced my finite final but seriously
    No, it's not that much. The TA is included with the rear, so there's no additional cost unless you want the addition of a Drive Shaft loop for the long TA. He gives a discount if you buy the LCA's and PHB from him-they are solid mounts and double adj- real nice ones, but they're about the same price as the singles from KYSpeed (who I highly recommend- bought a ton of stuff from him!) You won't need the ABS rings, just send them to MWC when you send your backing plates and caliper mounts- pull them off the axles and you're good to go and you'll save some dough. I bet the Yukon aluminum case is nice, but I just went with the Strange nodular one- sure it weighs more, but I'll eventually get another center for the track and that one will be built to the hilt. I think you can knock a few hundred off the cost you have there and get it to closer to $4k.

  19. #19
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    2,148
    yeah i bought my exhaust thru mark.
    but you say its rough...so should i stay away from his LCAs/PHB and get some UMIs from mark?
    and how much does MWC charge for the Driveshaft? KYSpeed charges 420
    and would the Yukon center be better or just lighter?

  20. #20
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,466

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    Why do you need a housing backbrace?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hussein Obama: Opponents to Iran "Deal" are "Crazies"...
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-26-2015, 12:11 PM
  2. Obama "Admits" to "Long Term Campaign" Against ISIS...
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-06-2015, 05:01 PM
  3. Hard Left in Knots over "Wacist" Prism of "Cat Call" vid
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 05:07 PM
  4. Weather Channel Co-founder: "Climate Change" is "Not Valid"
    By wileyCoyote in forum Political / Debate Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 06:44 AM
  5. 1995ish Mustang GT "Boss" Vs. 2000 Z28 "Millennium"
    By My00Z28 in forum Kill Stories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •