Black
    1999 Trans Am

Whats required to swap in a 9"

So my rearend is going to hell and I've decided to put in a 9" rearend. However I cant find any threads that actually deal with what if any other parts are required to swap one in. So basically I'm looking for a parts list of stuff that I'll need to swap a 9" into my T/A (besides the actual diff) and what if any parts I'll need to modify. Also how well does a spool hold up to DD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    -Hobs

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Really isnt alot of extra parts needed. A few bolts maybe for the TQ arm. Some Loctite, Oil, Tq wrench, and some basic tools. Thats it man. And I would look into a Tru Trac for a DD.

black trans am

i dont mind my locker for a dd no real issues.... ull have to pull ur old diff apart and get the end plats and ull need a press to but the new berings on the axles... do not get 35 spline axles for dd... mine has to much play in them for my likeing

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Most of it is fairly easy to install. What I needed that did not come with the rear end from Moser was a U-joint (you can get from Napa), and 2 3" universal exhaust clamps. Other than that most of is just putting back what you took off. There are a few things I had to make work like the brakes brackets (the ones at the lower LCAs) and the sway bar.

You will also need a few random things to assemble the rear end (oil, silicon). Exotic Performance Parts has a fair write up of all that you will need and how to go about it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I also had to do alittle modifing to the brake brackets. That was the only part that didnt bolt right in easily.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the help guys. I got a few more questions for ya if you dont mind. I've been pokin around a lil more and I keep hearing that I need an adjustable torque arm and a different sway bar is that correct? As far as the 3-channel and 4-channel thing is concered if I want to keep my ABS and TCS then I need(have) the 4-channel right? Also I'm eventually gonna put a power-adder on it at some point so would the 31 spline handle it or am I gonna blow it up in a month. My car's an A4 for so it wouldnt need to handle dropping the clutch at 5000 rpms and I have no interest in a trans brake but it will have a line-lock. Thanks again

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by HOBS View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I got a few more questions for ya if you dont mind. I've been pokin around a lil more and I keep hearing that I need an adjustable torque arm and a different sway bar is that correct? As far as the 3-channel and 4-channel thing is concered if I want to keep my ABS and TCS then I need(have) the 4-channel right? Also I'm eventually gonna put a power-adder on it at some point so would the 31 spline handle it or am I gonna blow it up in a month. My car's an A4 for so it wouldnt need to handle dropping the clutch at 5000 rpms and I have no interest in a trans brake but it will have a line-lock. Thanks again
    I think you will be fine at 31 spline. Of course it still depends on how much power you will make in the end (mine is planned to work with a 402 and nitrous). I would make sure thought with the manufacture. For anything bigger you will have to at least go with a Detroit Locker instead of a the true track.

As for the 4/3 channel issue, check to see what you have. If you have an set of electric wires running directly to the top of your pumpkin you have a 3 channel setup. Most likely you have a 4 channel setup and that runs to each of the axles instead.

I am still running the stock sway and torque arm on mine. It is a good idea to get some adjustable suspension stuff, like a panhard and LCAs to help things get lined up.

Thread Information