Results 1 to 14 of 14

what gears?

This is a discussion on what gears? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; When I bought the T/A I was told it had the 3.23 gears. It runs 2000 rpm or maybe a ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member LS1 oldtimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    52
    Posts
    41

    blue
    2001

    what gears?

    When I bought the T/A I was told it had the 3.23 gears. It runs 2000 rpm or maybe a hair more at 70 mph. It is an A4 with the stock converter, does this sound right? What rpm would 3.73's run at 70 mph? 4.10's? Thanks

  2. #2
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    We have a sticky to help out with that. Here it is: Gear/MPH Calculator

    3.23 at 70mph should be 2050 rpm
    3.73 at 70mph should be 2400 rpm
    4.10 at 70mph should be 2650 rpm

  3. #3
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    I ran with 3.73's for years before I burnt up the pinion bearing drag racing.

    I currently have 3.23's and I find the hiway mileage to be about 4mpg better than what I achieved with the 3.73's at the same mph/rpm.

    Just driving the car around isn't any better due to the stall.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

    2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

    2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

    Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

  4. #4
    Junior Member LS1 oldtimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    52
    Posts
    41

    blue
    2001

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Try this link:

    http://www.f-body.org/gears/

    SteveC

  6. #6
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    We have a sticky to help out with that. Here it is: Gear/MPH Calculator

    3.23 at 70mph should be 2050 rpm
    3.73 at 70mph should be 2400 rpm
    4.10 at 70mph should be 2650 rpm
    My 2.73s are right at 2k RPM at 70mph... the 3.23s tach about 300RPM more, maybe

    2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

  7. #7
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    My 2.73s are right at 2k RPM at 70mph... the 3.23s tach about 300RPM more, maybe
    Is your converter locking up?

    Sounds awfull high for 2.73's. I have 3.23's and spin about 2,000-2,100 at 70 mph. Pretty much what everyone else is doing here.

    300 rpm more and I'm doing 80+

  8. #8
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I ran with 3.73's for years before I burnt up the pinion bearing drag racing.

    I currently have 3.23's and I find the hiway mileage to be about 4mpg better than what I achieved with the 3.73's at the same mph/rpm.

    Just driving the car around isn't any better due to the stall.
    Since when did you switch back to 3.23's?? Race it since??

  9. #9
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Since when did you switch back to 3.23's?? Race it since??
    I had Sean @ TGMS swap gears (he had a used set laying around) before we all went to LA Invasion. It was squealing pretty bad. It now makes no noise at all.

    I haven't been to the track yet. I'm curious to see what the difference will be but I also don't want anything else to go wrong as it's running great right now.

  10. #10
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I had Sean @ TGMS swap gears (he had a used set laying around) before we all went to LA Invasion. It was squealing pretty bad. It now makes no noise at all.

    I haven't been to the track yet. I'm curious to see what the difference will be but I also don't want anything else to go wrong as it's running great right now.
    Would be interesting, since we both run the same converter, I still have the 3.23's, although mine is a tad heavier than yours, I like the way it runs as is. 60 foots well on stock rubber, dipped into the 12's like that with just headers. I planned a mild camshaft that works well with the 3.23's and leave it at that. I'd like to see a comparison of your best ET with your gear change, lets get that down to the track while the weather is cool, let me know and I'll be there.

  11. #11
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is your converter locking up?

    Sounds awfull high for 2.73's. I have 3.23's and spin about 2,000-2,100 at 70 mph. Pretty much what everyone else is doing here.

    300 rpm more and I'm doing 80+


    Unless somebody did a gear swap in both

    GU2 is on the pewter car, and the GU5 code is on the white car, along with B4C

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    s.a. tx
    Posts
    26

    navy blue met
    1998 Trans Am convertible

    After seeing this thread I'm wondering about mine... 3.23's A4, bone stock, runs about 2300 or so at 70mph, a little over 2000 at 60. I first thought that was 2-3 hundred rpm high, but then shrugged it off.

  13. #13
    Retired NOT tired SteveC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Poway, Ca
    Posts
    1,126

    SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by 98 t/a vert View Post
    After seeing this thread I'm wondering about mine... 3.23's A4, bone stock, runs about 2300 or so at 70mph, a little over 2000 at 60. I first thought that was 2-3 hundred rpm high, but then shrugged it off.
    It is really easy to tell if the converter is locking up, just count the shifts the transmission is making, there should be 4, 1-2, 2-3, 3-od, lockup. On my vehicle the lockup occurs @ 43mph normal unagressive driving. Once lockup occurs you are 1-1 with the transmission.

    SteveC

  14. #14
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 t/a vert View Post
    After seeing this thread I'm wondering about mine... 3.23's A4, bone stock, runs about 2300 or so at 70mph, a little over 2000 at 60. I first thought that was 2-3 hundred rpm high, but then shrugged it off.
    You were correct in your assumption,,,,that is in fact 2-300 rpm too high.

    Sounds like your converter isn't locking up.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: about to change my plastic gears for brass gears
    By edrvsqz1980 in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-18-2009, 06:09 PM
  2. need gears
    By hamptonwsk in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-09-2008, 10:17 PM
  3. 4:10 Gears (New) 10 Bolt. 3.08 Gears Low Miles. 12 Bolt.
    By 991lez in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 02:03 PM
  4. Stock 2.83 gears to 3.73 gears?
    By 97formula in forum Automatic Transmission
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-20-2005, 09:36 AM
  5. 3:73 gears, 3:42 gears, clutch, flywheel, plug wires
    By ls1hater in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •