Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What exactly breaks in the stock rearend?

This is a discussion on What exactly breaks in the stock rearend? within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; OK let me first install the M6... the last few days I put the pedals and the hydraulic stuff in... ...

1998 M6 vert TA

OK let me first install the M6... the last few days I put the pedals and the hydraulic stuff in... what a pain! I'm 2 meters tall (something like 6'6") and the space around the pedals is soooo small already for the average people, imagine for me!
    So let me first see how it feels with the 2.73

This of "delicate" is something I read on the forums. Someone was telling that the shorter gears were weaker because of "less material". ???

Right now I have the original steel driveshaft. Do you know if I should replace it with aluminum if I install a shorter diff ratio?

I'm 6'1", I can feel some of your pain.

The less material would only apply to the size of the pinion head, but the gear contact patch (as far as I know) is the same, so I can't see how that weakens anything. If someone knows different, please chime in.

Some people like the steel because it is stronger (and I'd certainly agree with that) and some like the aluminum because it is lighter (and I'd certainly agree with that!...Hmmm ). My car started life with the aluminum driveshaft so I really like the weight. I'll probably continue to like it until it breaks. All that being said, you're fine with the steel.

Isn't it kinda late in Zurich now?

1998 M6 vert TA

yep.. it's almost 1AM here now and I should go sleep. We should have something like 6-9 hours difference depending on which coast you are.

Now that the M6 pedals are installed I see that my shoes are too big for them! I have an European 48, about 13 or 13-1/2 for North America. I guess you haven't much smaller feets... how do they fit? With the automatic it was just fine, but now it's a little tight!

I'm an East Coaster, so there's six hours difference. I should be leaving work now!

My feet are smaller, 10 1/2, so I can only image what it will be like with those moccasins!

My biggest problem is that I'm mostly all leg, so I'm constantly banging my legs into the steering wheel. It took some getting used to for me, so I imagine it will be a little awkward for you at first. But, we all adapt with the proper motivation.

1998 M6 vert TA

Haha! I always had to modify my cars: usually lowering the seat and moving them 4" to the back. The girlfriend is also pretty tall so I modified both seats. Of course the car is now only for 2 peoples... but no kids for now

I was looking for a smaller steering wheel but they don't do it with the airbag.

Tomorrow is the big day... trash the 4L60E and put the T56 in it's place!

I'll tell you how it feels the 2.73 rear end. I guess like crap

Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly.

It'll be interesting to get your impressions with the 2.73s. I, personally, always felt the car was a little under-geared for being so heavy (~3600 lbs. with me in it). If you had any converter at all with the automatic, the M6 may feel a little sluggish.

Just out of curiosity, what motivated you to make the change?

(BTW - the only reason I got the Camaro instead of the Vette was to carry around my three kids. )

1998 M6 vert TA

Hahaaaa!! I got a TA because the Vette is even smaller inside and because I wanted to be able to take some luggage with me. So space seems to be a common problem

There are many reasons for the swap:

because of the blower the A4 is almost toasted. It can't make the 2-3 shift at WOT any more and I had to reduce the shift RPM down to 4000 rpm or it would slip. This makes the blower worthless.

A rebuild costs here $3600 but without guarantee because the car is modded. A beefed up A4 from the USA + shipping costs about the same. Also no guarantee.
    The swap costs also about the same. Also no guarantee... so at the end, why not?

Here 80% of the cars are manual and automatic are considered sleepers. I grow up with this mentality and I still haven't changed it. I drove sticks during 15 years and maybe 5 with the automatic (4L60 and 4L60E) and I never liked it. Manuals are absolutely rare here so I had to go with an automatic

The T56 I have shoud have 40'000 miles on it and it comes from a 99 Camaro.
    The only thing I'm insicure is the slave cylinder. It should be a 99 also, but on the aluminum piece you can see a "2" surroundend by 12 fields, some with dots (3). It looks like a productions date to me. Like March 2002.
    The clutch is almost new and the drill mod had been made, so I can imagine that the old owner did also upgrade the slave cylinder... or at least I hope so! Any Idea?
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI

Nope, no idea how to interpret the manufacturing codes on the slave cylinder. Maybe someone else reading this post knows?

Sounds like a fun, though. Nothing better than wrestling with a transmission under the car.

Be sure to post your impressions after the swap.

1998 M6 vert TA

OK tranny is in. Everything went well and I had no surprises.
    The REAL problem is that the Spec stage 2 clutch is not disengaging enough.
    I put their metal shim. I'm sure master and slave are installed correctly.
    The TO bearing is new (supplied by Spec).
    Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate are new.
    The hydraulic system is 100% bleeded (first on the bench then on the car with a transparant hose to check for bubbles).
    We bleeded 20-30 times at least.

During the first 1/2 of the pedal movement I feel a certain force but I think that only in the second 1/2 the clutch begins to disingage.
    I can barely go in a couples of gears but not in reverse.
    To move the car I have to turn off the engine, select a gear (1st or reverse), press the clutch and then start the engine.
    The cluthc is fully ingaged after only 1" from the floor (or less).
    The hydraulic is not loosing pressure: I can stay 2-3 minutes on the pedal and the pressure remains constant.

So well... wha to do?
    Do I have to increase the shim thickness between tranny and slave? (I put what Spec said). What thichness?
    Is it possible that the hydraulic is bad? (It doesn't leak or loose pressure).
    Is it possible to increase the movement of the slave cylinder using a different (larger) master cylinder?

I know, this is a drivetrain thread... sorry but it turned to be a tranny swap discussion

sebring silver
    98 camaro SS

I had the same problem with my spec stage 3 but i had 2 diffrent problems my slave was on its way out and it needed a little bigger spacer behind the slave fixed it right up

1998 M6 vert TA

Quote Originally Posted by nukemss
    I had the same problem with my spec stage 3 but i had 2 diffrent problems my slave was on its way out and it needed a little bigger spacer behind the slave fixed it right up
    I asked Spec and they said to add 1 mm shim (0.04"). How much have you added?

Have you tried an adjustable master? Many people seems to be lucky with it.

How do you recognize if the slave is bad? Mine is not externally leaking and if I push the pedal for a while it doesn't loose pressure or change position. The fluid level in the reservoir remains constant.

I still don't know if my slave is an old or a new style. Unfortunately the part numbers are the same. I only see a mark in the aluminum with a "2" and some dots around. this is the typical way to write the production year + month on the cast. "2" for 2002 and so many dots as month (like 3 dots = March).
    Do you still have your old slave handy? Could you please take a look for me if you see something similar?

I have a used tranny so I don't know how old parts are. I also trashed the old automatic so I have no idea how this car should be with a manual transmission
    Last edited by tici; 10-31-2005 at 11:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information