Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Question what brand of gears to go with??

hey everybody, looks like i might be puttin 4.10's in my car pretty soon. i want a moser 9 inch but the pocket book wont allow that so i wanna put some new gears in for the time being. what brand should i go with? motive? i heard richmond is noisy. oh well... also how do yall think i will like it? mpg changes? thanks for any advice
    2002 Z28 M6, Suncoast Creations ram air, port/polish TB w/ bypass and bumpstop, heater hose mod, stainless steel long tubes, ORY w/ dual cutouts, Magnaflow, BMR SFC, UMI Torque Arm, LS7 clutch w/ drill mod, Pro 5.0 w/ Lous short stick, MSD wires, 4.10s, good maintenancehttp://www.fquick.com/blue02z

Arctic White
    2000/Trans Am

I have richmond and there is no noise.
    If there is noise they were not installed correctly.
    Make sure you have someone experianced with gen3 rears and the gear setup's do the insatll as it may save you some heartache.
    I heard the same thing about richmond gears but after a yukon gear nightmare I went to jegs for the richmonds and have been very happy with them.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I had Motive Performance in my 10 bolt and I now have them in my 9" for 1 reason quiet!!!
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i think i will go with motive... thanks guys, o appreciate it. what kind of break in procedure do gears call for, never had any replaced

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i think i will go with motive... thanks guys, o appreciate it. what kind of break in procedure do gears call for, never had any replaced
    1st let me say when you do a gear swap, Make sure you buy a master rebuild kit and change all your bearings and seals.

First use regular gear oil with no posi additive. Then You need to heat quench the gears 3 or 4 times (drive about 10 miles, then stop for at least an hour to cool the rear end lube), then take it easy for a few hundred miles, varying your speed and don't go over 65 mph. After 500 miles change your rear end oil preferably with red line or royal purple (you wont need posi additive with these 2) if you use regular gear oil you will need posi additive. While the cover is off look over everything and do a torque check on all the bolts (the shop that did your gears should do this for free as a part of the gear swap) Then give her hell!!!

Cross your fingers that the $600 you will spend in the gear swap will last a little while.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 11-26-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

thanks jay, in the master rebuild kit, do you mean axle seals and bearings as well? i hope it will last till i can get my 9 inch

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

thanks jay, in the master rebuild kit, do you mean axle seals and bearings as well? i hope it will last till i can get my 9 inch
    Yes it all comes together in 1 kit. Its about $75 or so addition to your new gears. Comes with all new bolts, bearings, seals, gaskets, rtv, crush sleeve etc... I would go through Quick performance Raceing on ebay. They treated me really well on my 9". Order the gears and master rebuild kit. Get the Motive Performance gears not the regulars. (Ones in the orange box) Master rebuild kit don't matter it will come in a blue box.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    Yes it all comes together in 1 kit. Its about $75 or so addition to your new gears. Comes with all new bolts, bearings, seals, gaskets, rtv, crush sleeve etc... I would go through Quick performance Raceing on ebay. They treated me really well on my 9". Order the gears and master rebuild kit. Get the Motive Performance gears not the regulars. (Ones in the orange box) Master rebuild kit don't matter it will come in a blue box.
    thanks again, do you know the typical install prices from a shop? napa is around here so is a dealer. i would do it but my apartment and no air supply or measuring devises

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

thanks again, do you know the typical install prices from a shop? napa is around here so is a dealer. i would do it but my apartment and no air supply or measuring devises
    My buddy did mine + put my torque arm and subframe connectors for $125 in my 10 bolt. He used to work at a 4x4 diff shop and now works with me. Your probly looking at around $200-$300 to do the gear swap with the master rebuild kit.

Thread Information