Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

WFF???? Made in Japan?

So, yesterday I put on my TA girdle, first time I have had my diff cover off. What do I see on my Torsen carrier???? Somebody inscribed, with what looks like a hand held engraver, "Made in Japan". Were the Torsen limited slips made in Japan? Or was someone at the factory f'n with the car? I wish I had a camera to have a picture to show....

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

if they where built by the same guys that make toyota + lexus stuff you shouldn't worry about quality issues...

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Better than made in Mexico.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Better than made in Mexico.
    ... like engine blocks?

Haven't ya heard??? We are no longer the US of A but simply just a dealer for China and Japan.

Silver
    2002 SS

You don't have a camera?

They are made in Japan too.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

OK, I'm not worried about the quality, I'd much rather have made in Japan than China LOL. I just thought it was odd that the carrier has what looks like a hand held engraving on it, and our cars being a GM F-body product. Has anyone seen this before on their Torsen carrier? Or any other carrier on F-bodies?

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

If you bought it from them/a distributor, whatever, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you ordered it from some overseas cheap ebay store, and got a GREAT deal on it, maybe it's a fake?

Haha. Probably not. I'm sure you're fine.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

man you'd be surprised.. dont doubt it came from japan..Japanese steel was cheaper and considered better...only thing american on that car might be the string used to sew the seats together..i wouldnt worry about it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Some of my parts were made in the USA

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

2001 Black SS #5228

JTEKT, a Japanese company, owns "Torsen" they bought it from "Toyota Machine Works" who bought it from "Bosch". So it very likely is "Made in Japan".

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by va2001ss View Post
    JTEKT, a Japanese company, owns "Torsen" they bought it from "Toyota Machine Works" who bought it from "Bosch". So it very likely is "Made in Japan".
    So, this helps the mystery a bit. I guess the only thing I really found strange was how the "Made in Japan" was put on the carrier, I find it hard to believe they were all hand engraved like that. If it was stamped, it would be a different story. Usually this stuff is stamped on, not engraved by hand, what, several thousand times?

BTW I don't have any issues with my differential or the Torsen limited slip, just found it odd how it was engraved....

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    man you'd be surprised.. dont doubt it came from japan..Japanese steel was cheaper and considered better...only thing american on that car might be the string used to sew the seats together..i wouldnt worry about it.
    Umm maybe Im a bit Bias coming from the Youngstown Ohio- Pittsburg Steel Belt however I beg to differ. All the Jap and Chinese Steel we get here at the Offroad shop I work at is 90% of the time Flawed in some way. Sorry to take it off topic but I just had to get that off my chest. Really It all just Depends on the Vendor. I've never had a problem with VM Star out of youngstown, Some of the best steel around! Thats Just my .02! LOL

PEWETER METALIC
    2002 CAMARO Z-28 M-6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    So, this helps the mystery a bit. I guess the only thing I really found strange was how the "Made in Japan" was put on the carrier, I find it hard to believe they were all hand engraved like that. If it was stamped, it would be a different story. Usually this stuff is stamped on, not engraved by hand, what, several thousand times?

BTW I don't have any issues with my differential or the Torsen limited slip, just found it odd how it was engraved....
    Honestly Even Dana spicer out sources over seas for certain Ring and Pinion sets and carriers, this is pretty common in the Drivetrain world.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Justin93 View Post
    Umm maybe Im a bit Bias coming from the Youngstown Ohio- Pittsburg Steel Belt however I beg to differ. All the Jap and Chinese Steel we get here at the Offroad shop I work at is 90% of the time Flawed in some way. Sorry to take it off topic but I just had to get that off my chest. Really It all just Depends on the Vendor. I've never had a problem with VM Star out of youngstown, Some of the best steel around! Thats Just my .02! LOL
    just going by what i herd ...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

So, has anybody actually seen what I am talking about on their differential carrier? The hand engraved "Made in Japan"? That also is what I was wondering, has anybody had their cover off and saw this.

red
    99 camaro

i just put gears in my car last weekend and it had the made in japan engraved on it, not much of a surprise, i work at a dealership you should see were some of theses parts are made places i have never even heard of before.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by dickiesrecordings View Post
    i just put gears in my car last weekend and it had the made in japan engraved on it, not much of a surprise, i work at a dealership you should see were some of theses parts are made places i have never even heard of before.
    So yours had it also, eh? Looked like somebody with an engraver in their hand did it, right? If so, I guess it is normal. I find it odd that the factory would have a worker take the time to do it by hand instead of stamping it on. Must be a union place LOL!

red
    99 camaro

yeah the one on mine looked hand engraved too they probably have a machine that makes it look like that so people will think they are getting a product that was hand made and quality checked, or they could be union workers thats a very good possiblity.

Thread Information