Red
    2000 WS6

Well my rear end went out on me...2000 WS6

Any “affordable” ideas are more than welcome please and thanks 🙏

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman View Post
    Any “affordable” ideas are more than welcome please and thanks 🙏
    Define “affordable”, the used ones are 15 years old and you are probably looking about $3k for a 9” or 12 bolt conversion with labor. You could buy a new gear set and other malfed up parts but you will still be running a not so strong rear.

How much addons does the car have?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Cheapest is getting a working 10 bolt from a junk yard. Next is repairing it with new parts. But it's a 10 bolt so it's just a matter of how long it takes to fail again. After this depending on current costs and stuff you can buy or build your own ford 8.8. But I think it's getting close in cost now to the Dana S60 rears. They are stout rears but probably the heaviest. Then comes the Chevy 12 bolt and finally the ford 9inch.

Cost is what it comes down to these options run from a few hundred to close to 5k or way more. Depending on what you want and how much work u will do yourself.
    Last edited by raynor139; 11-13-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Red
    2000 WS6

Thanks Chase. Yeah I’m open to ideas for sure bro. A friend of mine has it at his shop. He’s looking for the parts, I told him I’m open to other options. But what 9” or gm 12 bolt is going to fit this rear end without extreme modifications?

Red
    2000 WS6

It has just minor modifications done. No cats, just resonators and flowmasters. Ws6 air box and lid. All of the stuff that has to do with programming the CPU including skip shift, heater core bypass, monster clutch kit (good for up to 425hp) and a tick adjustable clutch master cylinder. Has subframe connectors, and that’s about all I can think of off he top of my head.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I do not believe that there are any non-F-body donor rear ends that will fit. Cheapest option is to source one from a boneyard or hunt the F-body sites for a take out. I sold mine about a year after it came out of our car to another site member.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

I've built my 2nd one for another member on here. Mine has been going strong for 2+ yrs now and I have not been kind to it either.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 11-14-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobileman View Post
    Thanks Chase. Yeah I’m open to ideas for sure bro. A friend of mine has it at his shop. He’s looking for the parts, I told him I’m open to other options. But what 9” or gm 12 bolt is going to fit this rear end without extreme modifications?
    They are custom built by many company's for f bodies. But if your open to the idea of a 8.8 ford Scott would be the guy to hit up and ask about. They are just about the cheapest way of doing a new rear.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Also depends on what your time constraint is, if any. A new replacement is the quickest. Sometimes (all the time) time is money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Also depends on what your time constraint is, if any. A new replacement is the quickest. Sometimes (all the time) time is money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    very true my friend, very true.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    They are custom built by many company's for f bodies. But if your open to the idea of a 8.8 ford Scott would be the guy to hit up and ask about. They are just about the cheapest way of doing a new rear.

It all depends on how mechanically incline, resourceful and how much you want to spend.

When I 1st did mine I probably spent more then getting a 12 bolt already made because I was trying to make it a modified 4 link hybrid but then changed direction to the Hiltsy Kit that let me stay with the torque arm. Not to mention I had to have a fab shop make me an alignment jig to keep the axles straight and find a welder that understood and knew how to weld to nodular iron and mild steel together. That's the hard part.

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Obviously, If you have the money, get a 9" and or 12 bolt axle. But since your'e on a budget, this is what i did. I had the stock axle rebuilt, and installed one of those thicker rear end "girdle" covers back in 2008, and it's still going strong! Keep in mind, im not running over 400+ h.p., i only have minor modifications, upgraded suspension, and a performance transmission. Also, i change the axle fluid about once a year. Thats my 2 cents.
    SMOKE 'EM IF YOU GOT 'EM!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When a member's car was wrecked, he sold his Strange S60 to a buddy of mine along with other parts. I went over to his house and he, his dad and myself did the swap in his driveway. Pretty simple, in my opinion. Save the cash, buy 10 bolt and invite friends to help swap and pay them in beer. Again, my opinion. I also agree about checking other forums for good, used 10 bolts. Might have some good scores for you.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Red
    2000 WS6

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and Scott reaching out to me personally. I took the cheap route and landed a stock rearend that the guy had just recently replaced the center chunk with an Auburn. So it was done around a month ago so it should be good to go. Can’t beat Facebook’s new sales app for 150.00 bucks��

Thread Information