Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

well it happened again but worse..

This is a discussion on well it happened again but worse.. within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Haha yes I meant output shaft! I was thinking that's what you meant. If you aren't ...

  1. #21
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Haha yes I meant output shaft!
    I was thinking that's what you meant.

    If you aren't a hard core drag racer, that stock output shaft will do okay. When I say hardcore, I mean you have a car with suspension set on "kill" that dead hooks, and you need to dump the clutch at 4-5,000 rpms to keep the engine from bogging.
    That's what usually kills it. I've twisted a couple of the smaller output shafts, never actually snapped one, but I've seen them snap like a twig though.

    If you run a drag radial, have at least "some" tire spin, and you dump the clutch at 3,000 rpm or less, it will probably last you forever.

  2. #22
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange to see a 24 year old calling people kids???
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you're 36 and he's 24 wouldn't he be your little brother?? I'm confused I guess
    He was referring to the odometer turning 36k. he is only 18

  3. #23
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    does anyone know if the tr6060 can be put into our cars?

  4. #24
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    does anyone know if the tr6060 can be put into our cars?
    It's been done. It physically bolts in but you run into problems for the torque arm mount, there isn't any.
    You can go the T56 Magnum route,,,,which is a TR6060 that has a modified tail housing so you can use the torque arm.
    They run in the $5,000 neighborhood.

    It's a stronger transmission, with larger gears, better syncro assemblies, Beefier input shaft (even though they still maintain the same T56 26 fine spline tooth count), and they come with the viper style 30 spline output shaft.

    Frankly though I don't care for the gear ratios much, they are spread further apart than the T56 in all gears,,,and it doesn't have as much overdrive. I don't care for the steep first gear ratio's either. I'd much rather spend the money to beef a T56.
    Well here,,,you can compare for yourself.

    TR6060 T56
    3.01 2.66
    2.07 1.78
    1.43 1.30
    1.00 1.00
    .84 .74
    .57 .50

  5. #25
    megs 02sunsetorangeZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Decatur Tx
    Posts
    1,167

    sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

    thanks FBJ! im thinking im just gonna do 1st through 4th and call it good.

  6. #26
    Moderator Cutlass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    6,998

    1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Seems the T56 is hit or miss. Alot of talk from others they are greatest thing since sliced bread, but I haven't found anything to really convince me.
    Compared to the T5 in the 3rd gens and the Fox Body Mustangs, we are blessed. The T56 is much stronger stock for stock and actually has beef up potential compared to the T5. Thats how I look at it anyways.

  7. #27
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Compared to the T5 in the 3rd gens and the Fox Body Mustangs, we are blessed. The T56 is much stronger stock for stock and actually has beef up potential compared to the T5. Thats how I look at it anyways.
    Ya, the T5 was a joke really. Doesn't belong behind a V8 and GM knew it, which is why they were behind 305's only.

    T56's aren't bad trannies and I didn't mean to imply that. I just see things inside them that GM could have done better. When you rebuild many Muncies and Top Loaders and see how robust they are, then wonder why GM would resort to things like plastic parts ( like shift fork pads) instead of bronze inside these T56's it just makes me scratch my head. Probably had things in mind like noise and comfort instead of durability. Guess that's what sells cars nowadays.

    Even some small upgrades in parts makes it a pretty good trans, but I'd still like to see a larger output shaft in them. I've twisted a couple of those puny 350 turbo sized shafts.

  8. #28
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It's been done. It physically bolts in but you run into problems for the torque arm mount, there isn't any.
    You can go the T56 Magnum route,,,,which is a TR6060 that has a modified tail housing so you can use the torque arm.
    They run in the $5,000 neighborhood.

    It's a stronger transmission, with larger gears, better syncro assemblies, Beefier input shaft (even though they still maintain the same T56 26 fine spline tooth count), and they come with the viper style 30 spline output shaft.

    Frankly though I don't care for the gear ratios much, they are spread further apart than the T56 in all gears,,,and it doesn't have as much overdrive. I don't care for the steep first gear ratio's either. I'd much rather spend the money to beef a T56.
    Well here,,,you can compare for yourself.

    TR6060 T56
    3.01 2.66
    2.07 1.78
    1.43 1.30
    1.00 1.00
    .84 .74
    .57 .50




    i actually like those ratios better for harder accel,. also the tr6060 has a trans cooler i likey that

  9. #29
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i actually like those ratios better for harder accel,. also the tr6060 has a trans cooler i likey that
    Yes it runs a trans cooler, so that's another obstacle to deal with as well.

    You might get harder accel in first gear but that's about it. From there the gear spread is further apart in every gear, so you will get more rpm drop on every shift and longer time for the engine to recover. That doesn't really excite me.

    You can just put more rear gear in the car with a T56 and get all the hard acceleration you want But there is no fix for that gear spread in the 6060,,no matter what you run you still have that rpm drop at every shift.

  10. #30
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    I gotcha

  11. #31
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, the T5 was a joke really. Doesn't belong behind a V8 and GM knew it, which is why they were behind 305's only.

    T56's aren't bad trannies and I didn't mean to imply that. I just see things inside them that GM could have done better. When you rebuild many Muncies and Top Loaders and see how robust they are, then wonder why GM would resort to things like plastic parts ( like shift fork pads) instead of bronze inside these T56's it just makes me scratch my head. Probably had things in mind like noise and comfort instead of durability. Guess that's what sells cars nowadays.

    Even some small upgrades in parts makes it a pretty good trans, but I'd still like to see a larger output shaft in them. I've twisted a couple of those puny 350 turbo sized shafts.
    Yes and no. You actually COULD order the 5.7 IROC with it. I need to find the link but you could actually order it. Granted I think it was for those who planned to race the car, but it was almost a COPO deal. Not a normal option but was there, just had to know how to get it.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    I gotcha
    Love the cat in your avatar....lol

  12. #32
    Senior Member TLS_Addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,706

    Ray Charles blue
    1492

    Found it.

    5th point from the bottom. http://www.prophetsofmadness.com/iro...andfigures.htm

    Could be wrong though, never know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. It get's worse, way, way, worse
    By SMWS6TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 06:23 AM
  2. Bad got worse..
    By BadBlueBird* in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 01:05 PM
  3. In you're opion, which is worse?
    By WhiteHotSS in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 12:07 PM
  4. Better or Worse???
    By Camaros710102 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 09:47 PM
  5. Which is worse????
    By tornado in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 08:11 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •