Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

well it happened again but worse..

This is a discussion on well it happened again but worse.. within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS Haha yes I meant output shaft! I was thinking that's what you meant. If you aren't ...

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Haha yes I meant output shaft!
    I was thinking that's what you meant.

If you aren't a hard core drag racer, that stock output shaft will do okay. When I say hardcore, I mean you have a car with suspension set on "kill" that dead hooks, and you need to dump the clutch at 4-5,000 rpms to keep the engine from bogging.
    That's what usually kills it. I've twisted a couple of the smaller output shafts, never actually snapped one, but I've seen them snap like a twig though.

If you run a drag radial, have at least "some" tire spin, and you dump the clutch at 3,000 rpm or less, it will probably last you forever.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it strange to see a 24 year old calling people kids???
    If you're 36 and he's 24 wouldn't he be your little brother?? I'm confused I guess
    He was referring to the odometer turning 36k. he is only 18

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

does anyone know if the tr6060 can be put into our cars?

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    does anyone know if the tr6060 can be put into our cars?
    It's been done. It physically bolts in but you run into problems for the torque arm mount, there isn't any.
    You can go the T56 Magnum route,,,,which is a TR6060 that has a modified tail housing so you can use the torque arm.
    They run in the $5,000 neighborhood.

It's a stronger transmission, with larger gears, better syncro assemblies, Beefier input shaft (even though they still maintain the same T56 26 fine spline tooth count), and they come with the viper style 30 spline output shaft.

Frankly though I don't care for the gear ratios much, they are spread further apart than the T56 in all gears,,,and it doesn't have as much overdrive. I don't care for the steep first gear ratio's either. I'd much rather spend the money to beef a T56.
    Well here,,,you can compare for yourself.

TR6060 T56
    3.01 2.66
    2.07 1.78
    1.43 1.30
    1.00 1.00
    .84 .74
    .57 .50

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

thanks FBJ! im thinking im just gonna do 1st through 4th and call it good.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Seems the T56 is hit or miss. Alot of talk from others they are greatest thing since sliced bread, but I haven't found anything to really convince me.
    Compared to the T5 in the 3rd gens and the Fox Body Mustangs, we are blessed. The T56 is much stronger stock for stock and actually has beef up potential compared to the T5. Thats how I look at it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Compared to the T5 in the 3rd gens and the Fox Body Mustangs, we are blessed. The T56 is much stronger stock for stock and actually has beef up potential compared to the T5. Thats how I look at it anyways.
    Ya, the T5 was a joke really. Doesn't belong behind a V8 and GM knew it, which is why they were behind 305's only.

T56's aren't bad trannies and I didn't mean to imply that. I just see things inside them that GM could have done better. When you rebuild many Muncies and Top Loaders and see how robust they are, then wonder why GM would resort to things like plastic parts ( like shift fork pads) instead of bronze inside these T56's it just makes me scratch my head. Probably had things in mind like noise and comfort instead of durability. Guess that's what sells cars nowadays.

Even some small upgrades in parts makes it a pretty good trans, but I'd still like to see a larger output shaft in them. I've twisted a couple of those puny 350 turbo sized shafts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

It's been done. It physically bolts in but you run into problems for the torque arm mount, there isn't any.
    You can go the T56 Magnum route,,,,which is a TR6060 that has a modified tail housing so you can use the torque arm.
    They run in the $5,000 neighborhood.

It's a stronger transmission, with larger gears, better syncro assemblies, Beefier input shaft (even though they still maintain the same T56 26 fine spline tooth count), and they come with the viper style 30 spline output shaft.

Frankly though I don't care for the gear ratios much, they are spread further apart than the T56 in all gears,,,and it doesn't have as much overdrive. I don't care for the steep first gear ratio's either. I'd much rather spend the money to beef a T56.
    Well here,,,you can compare for yourself.

TR6060 T56
    3.01 2.66
    2.07 1.78
    1.43 1.30
    1.00 1.00
    .84 .74
    .57 .50

i actually like those ratios better for harder accel,. also the tr6060 has a trans cooler i likey that

i actually like those ratios better for harder accel,. also the tr6060 has a trans cooler i likey that
    Yes it runs a trans cooler, so that's another obstacle to deal with as well.

You might get harder accel in first gear but that's about it. From there the gear spread is further apart in every gear, so you will get more rpm drop on every shift and longer time for the engine to recover. That doesn't really excite me.

You can just put more rear gear in the car with a T56 and get all the hard acceleration you want But there is no fix for that gear spread in the 6060,,no matter what you run you still have that rpm drop at every shift.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

I gotcha

Ray Charles blue

Ya, the T5 was a joke really. Doesn't belong behind a V8 and GM knew it, which is why they were behind 305's only.

T56's aren't bad trannies and I didn't mean to imply that. I just see things inside them that GM could have done better. When you rebuild many Muncies and Top Loaders and see how robust they are, then wonder why GM would resort to things like plastic parts ( like shift fork pads) instead of bronze inside these T56's it just makes me scratch my head. Probably had things in mind like noise and comfort instead of durability. Guess that's what sells cars nowadays.

Even some small upgrades in parts makes it a pretty good trans, but I'd still like to see a larger output shaft in them. I've twisted a couple of those puny 350 turbo sized shafts.
    Yes and no. You actually COULD order the 5.7 IROC with it. I need to find the link but you could actually order it. Granted I think it was for those who planned to race the car, but it was almost a COPO deal. Not a normal option but was there, just had to know how to get it.

I gotcha
    Love the cat in your avatar....lol

Ray Charles blue

Found it.

5th point from the bottom. http://www.prophetsofmadness.com/iro...andfigures.htm

Could be wrong though, never know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information