White
    98 Trans Am

Very Loud noise coming from trans or rear-end?

Long story short, my car howls so loud that you can hear the howl over my exhaust coming down the road...and I have Loudmouth with off-road Y and mac mid-lengths. When in another car riding beside me, they can hear the howl over my car at a normal cruise.

It has progressively gotten louder and louder. In the past few days, it is now getting harder to get in and out of gear...real tight feeling. The noise is about 90% louder when I'm accelarating or under load in the higher gears (4th, 5th, and 6th). If I push the clutch in or let off the gas pedal, the noise drops about 80 to 90%.

I've already had the crush sleeve replaced once about a year ago since putting in the 4.10s and maybe it's happened again, but it doesn't explain the getting in and out of gear problems.

Do you think it could be pilot bushing and throwout bearing? Rear End? Both? Any input is appreciated.
    4" Stroker Crank/4340 H Beam Rods/Forged Pistons/File to fit Plasma Moly Rings/Patriot S2 LS6 heads/Harland Sharp rockers/SLP Lid/Smooth Bellowes/Comp 232/234 595/598 112 lsa/chrome-moly push rods/LS1 Edit/LS6 intake/Spec3 clutch/Fidenza aluminum flywheel/4.10s/MAC mid-lengths/MAC ORY/SLP catback

Red
    2000 SS Camaro

Check

It sounds more like your throw out bearing, if you can drop your drive shaft and check for backlash on your pinion and in and out play and see if its leaking. Also does it only due it when your driving, a howling sound is the sign of a bearing going bad somewhere. Also if you can borrow a good set of jack stand block your front wheels and jack the back of the car and have someone listen to tell if its in the front of the car or back.

White
    98 Trans Am

yes, it only does it while driving. Gets louder the higher the gear, but gets 80 to 90% quiter when I let off the gas or depress the clutch. I'm going to check today to see if there's some play in the pin ion causing a bind, but that doesn't explain the shifting problem hat just started.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

it wouldnt be the throwout bearing then. my friends went out on his mustang and it got loud when he pushed the clutch in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

if its hard getting into gear could also be the synchros in the tranny. does it get loud as you are shifting?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Sounds like its definitely the trans, since you mentioned its hard to get in and out of gear and the noise is much louder in the higher gears. Could be a lot of things, but I'd guess a bearing is bad in the transmission, causing the gears not to mesh properly and creating the noise you are hearing.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

check your trans fluid

pewter
    02' z28 camaro

check your u-joints, you might have worn your barrings in the u-joints completely out. i did it to mine, replaced the u-joints and it was perfect.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

definitely sounds like tranny, i'd think bearing as well, affecting other parts. rear end whine would just be speed and load related, it wouldn't matter in what gear you are in.

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

Also check the driveshaft thought it was the brakes at first then had ceramics put on and it kept on so I week goes and it persisted so I go to the shop put it on the lift and what do I hear, a grinding. So I trace it to the driveshaft and guess what on the way to the bank to get the money for the driveshaft and it locks up so I get it to the house and we change the driveshaft and guess what it must have broke up the gears cuz I hear clunk, clunk, clunk when I started it and drove down the driveway so stop driving on it now. Anybody have and idea on where to go in los angeles, ca. For rebuilding a stock, or ford 9in, a 12 bolt I have access to the the other two but just need options

Thread Information