white

unknown torque converter?

hey guys. I picked up a torque converter from a friend who just had it sitting around. I'm not sure what it is and would rather not just throw it in and hope it works.
    The numbers on it are twbx24227179
    I found a site for it here but it doesn't really tell me anything other than that its for a camaro.Torque Converters used in 4L70E Transmissions - Precision of New Hampton
    Any info is appreciated

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

From a quick search it looks like the 4L70e is mostly a truck trany with an interchangible bell.

Mostly used in the heavier trucks Suburban, Hummer (not the h3 though), etc.

I'm not saying use it,, but for a stock 27 spline input app it's prolly fine.

Can't find anything on the part number though.

Is your TC bad?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If for some reason it doesn't work and you need one, I have the stock converter from our '02 WS6 resting comfortably in our lower garage.

white

The torque converter in my car is fine. I was looking for a stall and my friend thought it was one

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Understood. You'll want a minimum of 3,200 and it seems that 3,600 is about perfect for our cars. I went with the 3,200 and should have went up one more step. Dropped the quarter mile times for our car by 4/10ths.

white

my last camaro had a tci 3000 and it was crazy how much better it was than stock. I was thinking about a 3200 since this is my daily driver but before i do any more performance i have to rebuild the trans. 2nd camaro ive had that 3rd is taking a $hit

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Do you have an aftermarket shifter? If not, I would get one. It might save you from damaging the internals of the transmission.

white

Its an auto..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The stock 4L60E is almost at its upper power limit with an LS1 in front of it. Start modding the LS1 and you can quickly exceed what the trans will handle. I pulled ours and swapped in a Performabuilt Level II and have had zero issues even with regular track outings. The differences between stock and aftermarket are substantial, as shown in my trans build thread: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/perform...d-pics-153471/

white

I looked into performabuilt. they look awesome but i dont wanna waste that much money on the car when i wanted a m6. I'm still trying to decide if im keeping it or not. I have a reputable person now who will rebuild it between $800 to 1000 with the beast sunshell and hopefully the upgraded 3/4 clutches.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That's not a bad price imo. At first, I was turned off by the fact that our car was an A4 when I looked at it on the lot. Then I drove it... and everything was all good.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Haha. Wow. Haven't made an overlook like that in a long time. I guess it would be with a TC

Been working too much apparently!!
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

white

I've had 3 camaros that were all autos and 5 mustangs that were all sticks. I still like driving it i just think the car would be a lot more fun if it was a 6 speed and converting it isnt really worth it for how much work it seams like it is. But if I end up having to spend around 3000 for a rebuild and a stall plus a tune then it might be around the same price as converting it to a m6.
    I was confused lol. I was thinking i know they have aftermarket shifters for our transmissions to but i don't see how that could help my problems

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I think Jon was meaning the short throw shifters for the t56, not realizing you're an automatic.

I agree manual trany is more fun, but many guys run autos for consistancy @ the track.

Midnight Blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

I love the m6 in mine. Mine is a weekend toy, so it is fun every time I drive it. If I had to drive it daily, it might be a diff story considering how much time I spend in bumper to bumper traffic.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by pk222 View Post
    I looked into performabuilt. they look awesome but i dont wanna waste that much money on the car when i wanted a m6. I'm still trying to decide if im keeping it or not. I have a reputable person now who will rebuild it between $800 to 1000 with the beast sunshell and hopefully the upgraded 3/4 clutches.
    My auto was taking a crap also and I decided to go m6. I wanted one and I didnt want to lose my car just for a transmission change. So I did it, it is expensive but its not to far off from the price of a good built auto with a stall. A decent 4l60e from flt or the like will be 1600 plus another 600 for a good billet stall...

If you search around you can do the t56 swap on a budget. When I did mine I sourced the console pedals and the mounts from junk yards all for around 150 bucks. A lot of v6 manual parts work for the v8. In all I had about 800 in conversion parts, this included a gm slave, tick master, all the console pieces, pedals and transmission mounts basically everthing minus the tranny. If you chose to use a gm master subtract 250 from that price. All in all I would have been in under 2k if my used t56 hadn't needed a rebuild. If our interested check out the writeup i did on the swap in the manual trans forum

Thread Information