Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

TrueTrac Axle Endplay

This is a discussion on TrueTrac Axle Endplay within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I used a 2001 pontiac trans am donor car for the LS1, T56 and brakes for the 67 camaro. The ...

Black
    1967 Camaro

I used a 2001 pontiac trans am donor car for the LS1, T56 and brakes for the 67 camaro.
    The rotors, backing plates and calipers are stock low mileage parts. Using Hawk pads.
    The brake system and hardware is fine, a bear to bleed but otherwise good.

Agree on building up the end of the axles with weld to take up slack, I thought it was a bad idea also.

I have tried 2 different sets of near new stock axles with the thickest c-clips that will fit the grooves, the real issue is the length of the spacer between the axles. I am going to machine a longer piece out of 4140 prehard stock.

Something is not machined correctly on the truetrac, either the c-clip pockets are too deep or the spacer is not long enough. Noticed the excessive endplay when putting the diff together but I was hoping the caliper float would take it up.

There is 3/16" of endplay which seems to be bumping the pads back after quick corners, first pump on the pedal goes almost to the floor, second pump is 3/4 pedal.

Did everything in house and the car is a blast to drive, the only gremlin I have so far is the axle endplay/brake problem and it's driving me nuts.

Thanks
    Last edited by LS ARKY; 04-10-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: duplicate material

Black
    1967 Camaro

Yes, 4th gen brakes all the way around.

One caliper pin was tight on the rear.

Machined a new floating spacer out of 4140 pre-hard today, made it .086 longer.

Problem fixed...........

67 Camaro ss convertible, 2001 LS1, T56, full Hotchkis sport suspension replacement with subframe con., koni adj. shocks, guldstrand conversion, tubular adjustable upper a arms, LS1 firebird brakes, Wilwood 7/8 tandem, agr steering box, speartech tune and harness, stock tank with bc bronco fuel surge tank/filter , low and high press. fuel pumps, classic instruments replacement dash, vintage air, detroit truetrac, 3.73 gears

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS ARKY View Post
    Yes, 4th gen brakes all the way around.

One caliper pin was tight on the rear.

Machined a new floating spacer out of 4140 pre-hard today, made it .086 longer.

Problem fixed...........

67 Camaro ss convertible, 2001 LS1, T56, full Hotchkis sport suspension replacement with subframe con., koni adj. shocks, guldstrand conversion, tubular adjustable upper a arms, LS1 firebird brakes, Wilwood 7/8 tandem, agr steering box, speartech tune and harness, stock tank with bc bronco fuel surge tank/filter , low and high press. fuel pumps, classic instruments replacement dash, vintage air, detroit truetrac, 3.73 gears
    Glad to hear you fixed the issue!!

I need to do something similar. If the snap rings don't take up enough clearance, I'll have to get a new spacer made like you did.

Black
    1967 Camaro

The extra 80 thou each way was enough to eat up a lot of pedal travel on a 7/8 bore. Drove it all weekend, works good.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

***********UPDATE***********

Managed to fix the issue without machining a new spacer (although that is a great solution)

I ended up pulling the axles and installing one 3/4" external snap ring in the c-clip groove of each axle. This took up took much clearance, so from there I have to grind down each c-clip slightly as well as the center spacer so that the spacer would fit in just right.

After putting it all together, no more play!! Rear is much quieter now too without all that play.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

nice!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information