Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Transmission tail shaft leak

This is a discussion on Transmission tail shaft leak within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Man I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble finding such a common part Crash. It seems ...

Man I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble finding such a common part Crash.

It seems some of the simplest of parts aren't stocked. Since the 6 speed in a 4th gen uses the tiny output shaft of 27 spline I believe,,,, and uses the same type yoke,,, That tailshaft seal SHOULD be the same seal used in,,,,

The 4L60E
    The 350 turbo's
    All the Muncie transmissions with small output shaft, and the BorgWarner T-10 as well etc......

I know for a fact that 350 turbos and Muncie's with small output shafts use the same seal,,,,The 700R4 didn't change so I assume the 4L60 uses it too.

See where I'm going with this??? It's been in production as early as 1957,,,,That's over 50 years of transmissions that have used that seal.
    Need I do the math on all those mass produced tranny's as too how many were and are still in use??? We are talking 10's of thousands.

SHAME ON ANY PARTS STORE THAT DOESN'T HAVE IT!!!! It's a common item.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Man I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble finding such a common part Crash.

It seems some of the simplest of parts aren't stocked. Since the 6 speed in a 4th gen uses the tiny output shaft of 27 spline I believe,,,, and uses the same type yoke,,, That tailshaft seal SHOULD be the same seal used in,,,,

The 4L60E
    The 350 turbo's
    All the Muncie transmissions with small output shaft, and the BorgWarner T-10 as well etc......

I know for a fact that 350 turbos and Muncie's with small output shafts use the same seal,,,,The 700R4 didn't change so I assume the 4L60 uses it too.

See where I'm going with this??? It's been in production as early as 1957,,,,That's over 50 years of transmissions that have used that seal.

SHAME ON ANY PARTS STORE THAT DOESN'T HAVE IT!!!! It's a common item.
    They have it but you have to crossreference. Like a rubber transmission mount at autozone from 93-02 is actually listed for 96-97 only.

U. S And A Greatest country in all of world

Stock
    2002 Camaro

The guy at Napa auto parts went over that with me and we looked through 10-15 different models and they all had the same part number (which was wrong) when i ordered it today i got the gm part number and check gmpartsdirect were it was $35 instead of $55. but now if i return the other one i have to pay restocking so i'll just have to keep this one. Thanks for all of the help Firebirdjones!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information