Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Too Much Debate!!!

This is a discussion on Too Much Debate!!! within the Drivetrain forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Originally Posted by shady milkman your rear end always leaks..but if it is starting to leak more..then it is probbally ...

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    your rear end always leaks..but if it is starting to leak more..then it is probbally due to flexing ..which causes rear end failure in almost all 10 bolts. so it really doesnt matter. your rear will go with the gears..um it "sucks" punching it with gears because traction is harder to come by..unless you have a nasty suspension setup. trust me, 98t/a, and ed...get the stall first.
    you think that they will have better luck getting traction with a stall???

i just put in 4.10's and an ultimate struss kit,. i also do have toyo 295's but my car does not burn out and let me tell you the single fastest upgrage to my car i have an a4 and yeah i want a stall but i know from expereince that i would have better luck hooking with the 4.10;s than any stall no matter how small! i am gonna go with a 3600. at that point i am going to have to put on the mt/s stall it up cross my fingers and go

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    um no... i was just answering his question.

2000 Trans Am

i just put in 4.10's and an ultimate struss kit,. i also do have toyo 295's but my car does not burn out and let me tell you the single fastest upgrage to my car i have an a4 and yeah i want a stall but i know from expereince that i would have better luck hooking with the 4.10;s than any stall no matter how small! i am gonna go with a 3600. at that point i am going to have to put on the mt/s stall it up cross my fingers and go
    +1, so you suggest the gears first huh?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

98' trans am

and yours is a DD? with 4.10s?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    +1, so you suggest the gears first huh?
    its obvious you already have made up your mind with getting the gears first. so get them. but up to .5 off of a 1/4 time sounds damn good to me. i have drove stalled cars and geared cars ect. and stalled are night and day. some cars..like the mustangs..will see i huge diff with new gearing ..the f-bods not so much.

2000 Trans Am

its obvious you already have made up your mind with getting the gears first. so get them. but up to .5 off of a 1/4 time sounds damn good to me. i have drove stalled cars and geared cars ect. and stalled are night and day. some cars..like the mustangs..will see i huge diff with new gearing ..the f-bods not so much.
    So if i put in new gears and seals and pinions etc, etc, etc..... You don't think it would help with my leak in the rear? i know that these cars are infamous for leaking but I have noticed it is leaking more then usual. I would think a stall would hurt it more then help as opposed to changing out the gears and seals etc ......

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

why would a car with a very similar platform see a bigger gain with gears?? im lost.

i do drive the car every day, well whenever im not driving my other 2 camaros,

just the gears alone took 4 tenths off my 1/4 time, i am not disaagreeing with you on the stall thing but think of it this way,

1. his rearend is on its last leg, it better if he catches it before it goes boom, possibly costing him a new carrier!
    2. with a stall comes a trans cooler and possibly if i did it to mine another fan, very minor install yes but one more negative.
    3. a stall is going to put a lot of extra stress on a rearend already on the way out.
    4. the only way hes gonna catch good or descent traction is gonna be Dr's
    and we all now what will happen if he gets like a 4000 and gets a good launch!BOOM!

i think the wise choice would be fix whats broken and leave whats not broken till last or when most conveneint, i guarantee 600 bucks is gonna be easier to save than 600+ to pull out of your ass when your rearend is laying on the street or the strip.

2000 Trans Am

why would a car with a very similar platform see a bigger gain with gears?? im lost.

just the gears alone took 4 tenths off my 1/4 time, i am not disaagreeing with you on the stall thing but think of it this way,

1. his rearend is on its last leg, it better if he catches it before it goes boom, possibly costing him a new carrier!
    2. with a stall comes a trans cooler and possibly if i did it to mine another fan, very minor install yes but one more negative.
    3. a stall is going to put a lot of extra stress on a rearend already on the way out.
    and we all now what will happen if he gets like a 4000 and gets a good launch!BOOM!

i think the wise choice would be fix whats broken and leave whats not broken till last or when most conveneint, i guarantee 600 bucks is gonna be easier to save than 600+ to pull out of your ass when your rearend is laying on the street or the strip.
    very well put. Plus in addition i got the gears and install kit for a very very good price. so that will help also! i just want something that is going to fix the excesive leaking but yet i can still get some performance out of!!

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

no prob.

peace im goin outta town! l8

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i did a 3000 yank stall and love it! might have gone with the 3200 but oh well. im getting gears next!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    i did a 3000 yank stall and love it! might have gone with the 3200 but oh well. im getting gears next!
    how much did it cost you for the stall and the install? and i heard you need a trans cooler also is taht true?

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

yeah thats true you will need a trans cooler, you can get a good one for under a 100bucks, also i would put another fan on it that you could manually control if i was you,

just to be safe, traffic is murder on automatics plus having a stall say good night to your trans if it cooks under there for too long!

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

how much did it cost you for the stall and the install? and i heard you need a trans cooler also is taht true?
    stall was a lot through yank but i got it installed for $250. price around the install because i had people say from 175-500 i went with the 250 because i knew they did good work

sebring silver
    2000 z28

do the gears and a rear support girdle, this will help in the rear ends life, also do rear lower control arms and nitto 555r, i love me 3.73 gears

like i said before;

2.73 ................... 3.73

2.002 ................. 1.88 60'
    8.4 .................. .. 8.1 1/8 mile
    12.94 .............. .. 12.61 1/4 mile
    109.34 ............. .. 109.88 1/4 mile speed

also keep in mind i went from the 10 bolt 2.73 to a 12 bolt 3.73, the 12 bolt axle is about 35lbs heavier and drains about 7hp with the extra rotating mass, and i still gained trap mph
    Last edited by silverz28camaro; 08-21-2007 at 05:29 PM.

sebring silver
    2000 z28

Oh and gears are easier on a tranny since it gives the clutches more leverage and reduce the chances of slipping, when a clutch goes out in a m6 when does it slip? in higher gears 5 or 6 right, when you put i down into 3 or 4 it puts less stress on the clutch itself

do the gears, the rear support girdle, and some suspension upgrades, then a nice 2800 vig stall with a big cooler, and a transgo shift kit

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by silverz28camaro View Post
    do the gears and a rear support girdle, this will help in the rear ends life, also do rear lower control arms and nitto 555r, i love me 3.73 gears

like i said before;

2.73 ................... 3.73

2.002 ................. 1.88 60'
    8.4 .................. .. 8.1 1/8 mile
    12.94 .............. .. 12.61 1/4 mile
    109.34 ............. .. 109.88 1/4 mile speed

also keep in mind i went from the 10 bolt 2.73 to a 12 bolt 3.73, the 12 bolt axle is about 35lbs heavier and drains about 7hp with the extra rotating mass, and i still gained trap mph

thanks for the help. i believe i am going to go with the gears first. I noticed that you went from 2.73 to 3.73. i currently have the 3.23 gear stock in my TA will i notice a difference going to the 3.73. it is also an automatic if that helps any. And I do have a shift kit in it also.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Putting gears and a support girdle on a 10 bolt is waste if you ask me. I did it myself years ago. Wish I could have that $500 or whatever I dropped on all that back cause I ended up getting a 12 bolt anyway. I'd go with the stall if it were me. Just cause your rear leaks doesn't mean it's on its last leg.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Putting gears and a support girdle on a 10 bolt is waste if you ask me. I did it myself years ago. Wish I could have that $500 or whatever I dropped on all that back cause I ended up getting a 12 bolt anyway. I'd go with the stall if it were me. Just cause your rear leaks doesn't mean it's on its last leg.
    I know that these rear ends are known for leaking buy mine has been leaking more then usual lately. I think i already said that........

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I know that these rear ends are known for leaking buy mine has been leaking more then usual lately. I think i already said that........
    Fix the leak and get a stall.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Fix the leak and get a stall.
    how much "roughly" for the stall and trans cooler and install?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information