Thread: Too much???

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

Too much???

So I was driving around yesterday, and I heard a subtle high pitched wine coming from the back. Took it right to the shop and they said my pinion seal is bad, and I was leaking fluid. Guy said he would replace the seal. and flush the system for $180.00. I asked if I might have damaged my gears. He didn't really think that was the case.
    So I said if thats the case we can just swap them for some 373's. he said "sure! should only be like $1200.00 bucks." "WTF! I thought they were only like $500.00 or so". I call another shop, and they quoted me the same price. I live near LA, but that still seams crazy. The car only has 38k miles on it! but he did say the fluid has never been changed, and its a 96 trans am M6. What do you think?

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

if its like a wine or a whistle in all gears then its probably a pinion bearing, the seal shouldn't make any noise when it goes out! replace all the bearings not just the pinion bearings because they ALL have been contaminated from the bearing failure! $180 to replace a seal that is $20 is way to much it should only take 30-60 minutes to replace...
    $1200 for a rebuild is about right with new gears, differentials, bearings, and seals + labor

Silver
    1996 Silver Trans Am M6

cool!

White w/black leather
    1995 Ford Cobra #259

I would replace the seal and do a flush of your diff. Then you can see if the noise goes away..if not time for new gears!! $1200.00 does seem high, make some more calls to try to get it done cheaper.

SOM
    2001 Z28 (Sara)

I had my 3.23's swaped out for 3.73's (9 years ago) when the vehicle had less than 10k miles, and the total cost was $600. All of my bearings were good, and this price included cryoing the gears.

Even though things cost more today, I still think you can find a reputable shop for less money than you were quoted.

SteveC

Thread Information